snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » Pray, mail it on, and you'll see why

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pray, mail it on, and you'll see why
Peccavimus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Peccavimus   E-mail Peccavimus       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Received this from my brother this morning. He's usually a level-headed guy. I searched, but chow me if this is already on here. I'm just impressed that it's one I haven't seen. It's got all the basic chainletter requirements . . . an unspecified author, a vague purpose, a promise of a surprise if you do as instructed, and even the exact number of people (eleven?) you must send it to. But it's weirdly low pressure and timid.

----- Original Message -----
To: XXXXX@XXXXXXX
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:08 PM

Hello Everyone,

I was asked by a very special friend to help a teacher who is using an e-mail prayer as part of her religion class. It was difficult for me to decide who I thought would DO this. I hope I chose the right eleven. Please send this back to me. (You'll see why.) May everyone who receives this message be blessed. REMEMBER to say a prayer before you read the poem. That's all you have to do. There is nothing attached. Just send this to eleven people. Prayer is one of the best free gifts we receive. There is no cost but a lot of reward. (Did you pray?) Make sure you pray, and pray believing that God will answer. This is your last opportunity before reading the poem.

May today there be peace within. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content knowing you are a child of God. Let His presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us.

Now, send this to 11 people within the next 5 minutes and remember to send this back...I count as 1...you'll see why. Suggestion: copy and paste rather than forward.

ETA: less annoying line breaks

Posts: 113 | From: DeKalb, IL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My God, but I wish people would quit sending out this religious glurge.

*reads*

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Peccavimus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peccavimus   E-mail Peccavimus       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The weird thing is, my brother isn't in the least religious. Or at least, not last time we've talked. I certainly hope he hasn't gone all fundamentalist on me.
Posts: 113 | From: DeKalb, IL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What poem?

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a free-form, unrhyming, un-metered poem.

IOW, a prose poem.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
It is a free-form, unrhyming, un-metered poem.

IOW, a prose poem.

IOW, stream-of-consciousness crap.

If you wanna be technical.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

More like stream-of-unconciousness.

PS. And wouldn't the technical be SOC-feces?

--------------------

Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No. In Glurgeology terms, crap is the technical term in analyzing samples.

Garbage is another technical term, but most Glurgeologists prefer crap today. You missed the garbage-crap debate of 2003, I see.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
senshisteph

Icon 1 posted      Profile for senshisteph   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dunno, I kind of like the fact that it doesn't mention a specific god you are meant to be praying to.

Having said that, I'd still be pretty annoyed if it turned up in my inbox.

--------------------
七転び八起き
nana korobi ya oki
'fall down seven times, get up eight.'

Posts: 155 | From: Nagoya, Japan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by senshisteph:
I dunno, I kind of like the fact that it doesn't mention a specific god you are meant to be praying to.

Having said that, I'd still be pretty annoyed if it turned up in my inbox.

Yeah, but that means we're all fair game. At least if it told you to pray to The Flying Spaghetti Monster, very few of us would have to make the heartwrenching choice of whether or not to piss off our lunch/deity by hitting 'delete'.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capri   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
-This is the sort of thing I should probably expect a certain person to forward to me within the next year, she always sends me this crap, or, garbage, lol, or junk, bilge, dreck - those are pretty good terms for chain mail as well.

-I've had a really bad week and feel like tearing apart some glurge, so here goes.

I was asked by a very special friend to help a teacher who is using an e-mail prayer as part of her religion class. It was difficult for me to decide who I thought would DO this. I hope I chose the right eleven. Please send this back to me. (You'll see why.) May everyone who receives this message be blessed. REMEMBER to say a prayer before you read the poem. That's all you have to do. There is nothing attached. Just send this to eleven people. Prayer is one of the best free gifts we receive. There is no cost but a lot of reward. (Did you pray?) Make sure you pray, and pray believing that God will answer. This is your last opportunity before reading the poem.

-Wow, could you get any more generic? Do I know this teacher? Do I know this friend of yours? What religion class? Which school? Names, sources, and places please. To answer your question about choosing the right people to forward this to, you chose wrong by forgetting to hit the delete key.

Let's try to improve on this proes a bit.

May today there be peace within.

-Urgh, that was painful to read. I just had to point out this line, awkward doesn't even begin to describe it.

-Today, may there be peace as you find your friends have written to you instead of sending forwards.

-May you put forwards and other spam in the deleted folder, exactly where it's meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities of annoyance and frustration for your friends that are born of receiving chain email. May you use your common sense, and remember not to pass on the forwards that have been sent to you. May you be content knowing you are not a terrible person when you refuse the demands of any chain letter. Let this idea set in and allow your soul the freedom from the power and addiction that habitual forwarders can't seem to break. It is there for each and every one of us if only they'd see it.

-Okay, bit of a hack job, but aw well. Lol

-I'll never understand how anyone beyond the education and naivety of a grade 3 student gets taken in by something that says:

"Now, send this to 11 people within the next 5 minutes and remember to send this back...I count as 1...you'll see why. Suggestion: copy and paste rather than forward."

-or anything similar.

-A specific god is mentioned in this chain, they just don't call him Jesus Christ. But because the fwd refers to God specifically, it's meant to appeal to anyone who believes in God, Christian, Jew or Muslim. So, it's designed to make idiots of anyone and everyone who believes in God at all, and that's really offensive, worse when I see people falling for it.

I can't understand why anyone who isn't all that religious would pass this on unless they actually like the proes, God references notwithstanding.

There are some really bad writers out there, religious or not. If anyone's ever looked at fanfiction/roleplay forums and pages, and specifically anything involving a "Mary Sue" type of character that's most commonly written as well as hated,
over-the-top proes abounds.

Posts: 63 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michigan Girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michigan Girl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate it when they say send it back to the one who sent it to you. Won't that encourage them to send me more? No thanks!

--------------------
~ Yep, I'm in Michigan ~ My blog http://catsrule2k.blogspot.com/
I am not willing to give up my constitutional freedoms just because I have nothing to hide

Posts: 142 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capri   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, that trend annoys me as well, I'll bet even the forwarders would get sick of millions of copies of the same chain letters crashing their inboxes after a while. And that's what would happen if everyone took that absurd demand to heart.
Posts: 63 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages