snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » It's a CHRIST-mas Tree! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: It's a CHRIST-mas Tree!
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The OP reminds me of the tension about the "Jesus dolls" donated to Toys for Tots, and specifically of the MSNBC discussion thread about that. It ran to 437 pages at last count, 5236 postings. Some betrayed an astonishing mean-spiritedness, resentment, selfishness (how DARE anyone who doesn't share my religious beliefs want to have fun at Christmas!), and even bigotry:

quote:
I will not give to Toys 4 Tots again. Do you people not realize that Christmas is a holiday about Christ. If you do not want to hear about Christ, then do not celebrate Christmas. Anyone who does not celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday about Christ should not get the days off of work.
quote:
Why are the Marines Reserve sending "Christmas" presents to Jewish and Muslim families anyway? When did they started celebrating Christmas?
quote:
Once again, Christians are being emasculated by the public. This gift can not be a gift if it weren't for Jesus Christ being born. Don't they get it !!!!!!!!!!!

It is not a feel good, homey and warm fuzzy time.

The world changed because of this birth and now even the Marines are demonizing Christianity.

quote:
Maybe it isn't a fun toy, but that's beside the fact. Christmas is a CHRISTIAN holiday. Why not give a Christian gift? If they are Jewish or Muslim they shouldn't be celebrating Christmas, should they?
quote:
That is soooooo stupid! Toys for tots is giving away toys for CHRISTMAS not Hanukah! Christmas is a Christian holiday!
quote:
The first five letters in Christmas is Christ. I hope everyone quits donating to this group. What a Joke!!! These other religions don't celebrate Christmas anyway!!!!!
quote:
HELLO!!!!!!!!!!! The last I checked CHRISTMAS was based on the birth of CHRIST!!!! To my knowledge Jews and Muslims don't celebrate CHRISTMAS anyway!!!!! Therefore, they shouldn't be standing in line for handouts!
quote:
In American We chose to celebrate the birth of Christ and if you don't like it then leave.
quote:
I think that the toys for tots as well as many of you forgot what Christmas is about???? Christmas is a celebration??? No you did not know that??? Hummmmmmmmmm !!! It is Jesus's Birthday!!! Surprised??? Well lets not put up that tree and spend all that money on a holiday we have no clue what its about! Education is a wonderful thing. Enough said. Merry Christmas the dolls are the perfect for christmas
quote:
THE UNINED STATES OF AMERICA IS FOUNDED ON CHRISTIAN BELIEFS, IF MUSLIMS AND JEWS DON'T LIKE IT THEN THEY CAN LEAVE. THE BIBLE SAYS; "I AM THE WAY THE TRUTH AND THE LIGHT, NO MAN COMES TO THE FATHER BUT BY ME". AND THATS THE WAY IT IS. JEWS AND MUSLIMS; DEAL WITH IT!!!
quote:
What in the world does CHRISTMAS have to do with Jews and Muslims? It is a celebration of the birth of Jesus. Why is it politically correct to bash Christians and pamper the feelings of other religions who have nothing to do with the holiday? Why are Jewish and Muslim children getting toys for a Christian holiday anyway?
quote:
Muslim or Jewish families? how come they celebrate Christ-mas if they believe in other Gods? this is a politically correct nightmare to start with...
quote:
Hey Folks~~ Muslims and Jews dont celibrate christmas! If you celibrate CHRISTmas, you already accept the fact that Jesus was born,lived as a man, and died on a cross for the SINS of the world! Then on the 3rd day rose from the dead,and walked the earth 40 more days before transcending bodily and ALIVE into heaven. JESUS is the reason for this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snoozn   E-mail snoozn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I know those kind of people are out there, but reading those comments just makes me feel sick to my stomach. I suppose they are the reason the term "pCm" had to be invented.

Excuse me while I go make a check out to Toys for Tots (along with a note thanking them for not discriminating against needy children based on religion).

snoozn

Posts: 423 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The first five letters in Christmas is Christ.
Actually, the first five letters in Christmas are Chris.

CELEBRATE THE BIRTH OF CHRIS!! CHRIS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!!!!!!1 IF YOU DON"T LIKE CHRIS THEN LEAVE!!!!!

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ToadMagnet:
quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:

Say it... CHRISTmas , CHRISTmas , CHRISTmas

I have never in my life pronounced this word with a long i in the first syllable. Why should I start now? And do I always have to say it 3 times?

Toad"Bah humbug, anyway"Magnet

If you say it 3 times, then look in the mirror, Jesus appears. Or Biggie Smalls.
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:

CELEBRATE THE BIRTH OF CHRIS!! CHRIS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!!!!!!1 IF YOU DON"T LIKE CHRIS THEN LEAVE!!!!!

How can you not like Chris? He's dreamy ...

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Cactus Wren's round up of scary folk:

"Once again, Christians are being emasculated by the public."

Wow. Two paranoid delusions in one sentence.

Ryda "Feminist Pagan with Matches and a Hedge Trimmer" Wong

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So if only Christians get Christmas off, then do only WWI veterans get Veterans' Day off and only Civil War veterans get Memorial Day off?

Gen "Only 15th Century lost Italian explorers and slain civil rights leaders get days off either" Yus

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bah, my brother isn't all that great..

(I know, "Mike" and "Chris", my parents sure were the adventourous namers weren't they)

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanReindeer:
It's a Yule Log. With the branches still on. And lights and ornaments. Yeah ... that's it... Yule Log.

I prefer the term "Saturnalia Shrub".
Or "Solstice Shrub".
Or "Festivus Fir"

Nonny "Hedging my bets" Mouse

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gg83
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gg83         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a Christmas tree. ChristMAS, ChristMAS, ChristMAS. It comes from the phrase "Christ's Mass," so if you don't celebrate Mass, you can't have a decorated holiday tree! Why is this so hard to understand, people! It's not a Christchurchservice tree, for Pete*'s sake, and that would be really annoying to say all the time anyway! Go to Mass or no ChristMAS tree for you!

* SAINT Peter, that is, and if you don't believe in saints then you can't say "for Pete's sake," so knock it right the heck off!

[fish]

I don't see why some people feel the need to get all worked up. You can have your Christmas tree, and someone else can have her Hannukah bush, and my friends can have their Capitalism shrub, and a public area intended for use by people of any and of no religion(s) can have a Holiday tree, and we can all be happy. Wasn't the origin of Christmas trees based on pagan practices, anyway? Or am I mixing that up with some other Christmas practice that was based on pagan practices? In any case, so many traditions used in Christian holidays were originally pagan traditions that it seems poor form to get angry about non-Christians modifying Christian traditions and using them as well. It's not like Christianity has a trademark on decorated coniferous trees(TM). I do. (And people are being really lax in paying me for use of my intellectual property! [Wink] )

--------------------
More Snape in drag. Seriously, man, that just improves any book. Like, A Tale of Two Cities? TEN TIMES BETTER if Madame Defarge is really Snape in drag with a bad knitting habit.

Posts: 241 | From: Land of Lincoln, IL | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:

My brother would be happy to know he's the whole reason we celebrate Christmas for.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shoebox:
quote:
If we take a stand, won't the tree fall over?

Not if it's hung upside down.

[gasp]! An inverted CHRISTmas tree?

Oh, you guys are so going to Hell.

Or would it then be a St. Peter tree? Hmmm...

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thomas Newton
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas Newton   Author's Homepage   E-mail Thomas Newton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elfwood,

What a great poem.

--------------------
Thomas Newton
Conservative Poet

Posts: 84 | From: Winter Springs, FL | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 500 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Newton:
Elfwood,

What a great poem.

For a conservative poet, you have an awfully liberal idea of what constitutes poetry. [Wink]

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe it isn't a fun toy, but that's beside the fact. Christmas is a CHRISTIAN holiday. Why not give a Christian gift? If they are Jewish or Muslim they shouldn't be celebrating Christmas, should they?
Wow. Does this mean that only Christians get to hunt for eggs and eat candy at Easter? And that anyone who isn't thrilled with getting a Jesus Bar should leave the country?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 03 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, yeah? Well, the first five letters in Easter is East, so unless you live in Arabia or China, you'd better not be celebrating it!

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's kind of funny.

Around here ** there is a Jewish family and an Arabian family. Both have set up Christmas trees.

They did not do it for the religious reasons, but because they like the idea of having a time to share with their respective families, and the kids will get gifts like the rest of their nominally Christian friends.

It bothers no one here to see a Menorah in one window and a Christmas tree in another.

** This was noted by me at the local Canadian tire when these families were out buying Xmas trees. The hats give it all away. [Smile]

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages