snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » How the "Left" Stole Christmas (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How the "Left" Stole Christmas
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
7. Conservative Poetry traces its roots back to Greco-Roman civilization, then to the Judeo-Christian Ethic, to England, and to America.
Is it just me, or does this make it sound like America (presumably Mr Newton is referring to the USA) is older than "Greco-Roman" civilisation?

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyrone Slothrop
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrone Slothrop   E-mail Tyrone Slothrop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BringTheNoise:
quote:
7. Conservative Poetry traces its roots back to Greco-Roman civilization, then to the Judeo-Christian Ethic, to England, and to America.
Is it just me, or does this make it sound like America (presumably Mr Newton is referring to the USA) is older than "Greco-Roman" civilisation?
Uh-Oh!

Isn't he basing The Conservative Manifesto (tm) on a "dead" ethos? I thought that was disallowed.

*tsk*

--------------------
"The universe works on a math equation that never even ever really even ends in the end"

Posts: 32 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyrone Slothrop

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrone Slothrop   E-mail Tyrone Slothrop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*waffles*

--------------------
"The universe works on a math equation that never even ever really even ends in the end"

Posts: 32 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
White letters on a black background are too hard for me to read.

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thomas Newton
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Thomas Newton   Author's Homepage   E-mail Thomas Newton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Ma-humbug:
When is it conservative poet season?

Pogue

Never!

They are on the endangered Species List. There is a $10 million dollar fine and life in prision.

--------------------
Thomas Newton
Conservative Poet

Posts: 84 | From: Winter Springs, FL | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it may well be a case of natural selection that has lead to the decline of Conservative Poets (TM).

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thomas Newton
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Thomas Newton   Author's Homepage   E-mail Thomas Newton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
For those wondering, here's the Conservative Poetry Manifesto.

Written by Mr. Newton, of course.

Hmmm, Mr. Newton ... you've claimed elsewhere that you're the only conservative poet out there.

Did you write the poem in the OP? Would explain why you thought it was so wonderful.

No. I only write sonnets.

--------------------
Thomas Newton
Conservative Poet

Posts: 84 | From: Winter Springs, FL | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

So is the poetry in the OP not Conservative Poetry (TM)?

--------------------

TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 05 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Help the extremely unclear here - I've read the whole thread and can't figure out something. Is everyone gently teasing Thomas Newton, or are the (collective) you all just out and out bashing the guy? I can't figure out why this is all going on. It's not the Snopesters style at all - we are an accepting lot, no matter how diverse we are. Heck, you put up with me babbling about Der Crisper every other minute when I first started here and you were polite to me. Quite frankly, I'm surprised snopes hasn't said anything in this thread about it or put this in Petty Bickerings at this point. Am I missing something? [Confused]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr:
Does an individual really need something so grandiose as a manifesto?

Hey, if it was good enough for Karl Marx, it's good enough for Thomas Newton.

quote:
Originally posted by BringTheNoise:
So is the poetry in the OP not Conservative Poetry (TM)?

If this is true, one does have to wonder why Mr. Newton said the following:

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Newton:
“How the “Left” Stole Christmas.” --great poem, who is the conservative poet author?

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyrone Slothrop

quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Help the extremely unclear here - I've read the whole thread and can't figure out something. Is everyone gently teasing Thomas Newton, or are the (collective) you all just out and out bashing the guy? I can't figure out why this is all going on. It's not the Snopesters style at all - we are an accepting lot, no matter how diverse we are. Heck, you put up with me babbling about Der Crisper every other minute when I first started here and you were polite to me. Quite frankly, I'm surprised snopes hasn't said anything in this thread about it or put this in Petty Bickerings at this point. Am I missing something? [Confused]

Well, speaking for myself, I'm gently teasing. Mainly about his "A Conservative Poet (tm) can only be compared to his contemporaries" statement.

It seems silly to state he only writes in "sonnet" form yet doesn't recognize the countless poets that have come before him.

Now, if he called himself a "Contemporary Conservative Poet" trying to blaze new ground in poetry (not using the sonnet form, or breaking the rules of a sonnet on purpose in order to form a certain meaning), it might make some sense to say "you can only compare me to contemporary Conservative poets and, since there are none, I'm the only one."

Although, a quick Google search or a simple Modern Poetry class would prove that statement false as well.

--------------------

Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still waiting for him to explain why the OP is such a wonderful poem.

But I don't think trolls answer legitimate questions.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Thomas Newton
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas Newton   Author's Homepage   E-mail Thomas Newton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas trees are going back up at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

We are winning!

--------------------
Thomas Newton
Conservative Poet

Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Newton:
Christmas trees are going back up at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

We are winning!

Er, yeah. Go paganism!

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Winning what?

I never realized that one of Christianity's main tenets was the establishment and protection of the Christmas Tree Culture. Can you show me which Bible verse that comes from?

ETA: I've always wanted to be spanked by Dara. [Eek!]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
I never realized that one of Christianity's main tenets was the establishment and protection of the Christmas Tree Culture. Can you show me which Bible verse that comes from?

Easy...

Thomas 16:22-23, "and ye shall protect the tree, yea even to your places of departure, for where is there a tree of glitter, there am I in its place..."

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 607 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
Thomas 16:22-23, "and ye shall protect the tree, yea even to your places of departure, for where is there a tree of glitter, there am I in its place..."

[lol]

Oh yeah? Well, Austin 3:16 says I just kicked your @$$! [Razz]

--------------------

TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It also says in Thomas 16:14-16, "The scoffers and moneylenders shall not agree on the tree's splendour, nor whether it should be seen. Yet shall the Tree not die; for I the Lord know the wonders of plastic needles, and impart it unto you, O city of Zion. The Great Majesty shall not be hid, not by any man, not by any means, no matter what ninnyhammer says it must."

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages