snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » "Touched by An Angel" petition still going strong

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Touched by An Angel" petition still going strong
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Guess what I got in my inbox this morning? The petition from a certain Dr. Dobson to stop the FCC's measure to ban religious programming. I replied to the sender with a snopes link. Hope she doesn't get pissed off.
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got this the other day from a co-worker, and I just deleted it. Dang I wish I had thought to send the snopes link. I usually do, but forgot this time, dang.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are they still out to blame Madeline Murray O'Hare, dispite the fact that she has been dead for over ten years.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Madlyn Murray O'Hair, not Madeline Murray O'Hare. Yes, she had been dead for more than ten years.

I haven't heard Dobson complain about this for a long time. Even Christian newsletters and website state that was never really true. It was a misunderstanding based on a petition to the FCC that was filed by two men who wanted no more religious programs on radio stations that broadcast educational programs. This was in 1974-75. Their petition was denied, however.

And I doubt if even a few Christians are still perpetuating this myth.

Barbara R.

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So we have a dead woman trying to take a dead TV show off the air. Wasn't that show canceled like 3 years ago.
Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara R.:
And I doubt if even a few Christians are still perpetuating this myth.

Well someone certainly is, since the ULRP mailbox gets asked about it a dozen times a week. And that's on top of goodness-knows-how-many people who just use the search engine.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages