snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » What if the Liberals Win in November? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What if the Liberals Win in November?
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy crap, the advice in the AFA letter came at just the right time!

And to think, I was nearly gonna vote conservative!

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How true Salamander, how true. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a funny one

quote:
Macleans

In a 2001 paper, Cass Sunstein, a professor at the University of Chicago Law School, described the "echo chamber" effect of blogs and message boards. Rather than fostering debate, moderation and common understanding, he argued, these sites have contributed to the polarization of our political clture. People gravitate toward sites that reflect their established point of view, and once comfortably ensconced in their political echo chamber, the perticipants take turns preaching to the assembled choir, reinforcing each other's ideas and biases, and denoncing anyone who might disagree

Rather than promoting open discussion and greater understanding, the Net has fed the cynical perception that every form of traditional authority is based on lies and corrpution. The much-hyped free market of ideas is a world in which the loudest and most outrageous assertion dominates the discussion

Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Cass Sunstein is right, but there's nothing new about that phenomenon!

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gopher
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopher   E-mail gopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely kittens should be serverd with catsup?

Sorry.

Posts: 130 | From: Kingdom of Northumbria | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 08 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Letter to AFA:
Conservatives to the best of my knowledge, want a smaller government that will leave us alone. You're conservative in what way? YOu're as bad as the people you criticize.
Oh, I forgot, God is on your side, so you're special. [Roll Eyes]

Dawn--and my mother wonders why I'm no longer a Republican [Roll Eyes] --Storm

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 601 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise:
I think Cass Sunstein is right, but there's nothing new about that phenomenon!

Which brings to mind these comments off The O'Reilly Factor on Faux News on the 18th October (as Hansarded by Think Progress):
quote:

LARRY SABATO: Itís very personal. And youíve mentioned the blogs earlier.

OíREILLY: Oh, it was off the chart.

SABATO: Well, we both have experienced this. The blogs on left and right, and I mean way left and way right, the things they come up with daily, the vitriol, the vile nature of the comments. And then they have hundreds and hundreds of people e-mailing.

OíREILLY: I know for a fact that President Bush doesnít know whatís going on in the Internet. I know that for a fact because I did ask around.

SABATO: Well, heís lucky.

OíREILLY: But.

SABATO: Heís lucky.

OíREILLY: He is lucky, because these are hired guns. These are people hired ó being paid very well to smear and try to destroy people. And thatís the difference, Dr. Schiller. That had never happened before. Iíll give you the last word.

BROWN POLITICAL SCIENTIST WENDY SCHILLER: Well, I think that one thing is for sure. The millions of voters that go to the polls in 2006 arenít spending most of their working hours during the day reading blogs on the Internet. Theyíre working for a living. Theyíre taking those kids to school. Theyíre going on with their lives. So yes, thereís a lot of vitriol out there. Itís a marketplace of ideas. Itís a free country last time we all checked. And it still is. Itís a great country.

OíREILLY: All right.

SABATO: Itís free for that reason.

OíREILLY: I think - I have to say President Bush has a much healthier attitude toward this than I do. Because if I can get away with it, boy, Iíd go in with a hand grenade.

No wonder Faux News has this loathing and contempt for free exchange of ideas....

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you ever noticed that most of the "evil things" conservatives talk about mostly just involve giving certain groups more rights or letting people make their own decisions?

The scary thing is they truly believe they are right.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Glowy Chloe:
We will withdraw from Iraq, sending the message to the terrorists that if they will just be patient they can win and bring their terrorist acts to the U.S.

Oooh,so what's what the terrorists plan was!Destroy 2 american buildings and then have the middle east suffer over 6 years of war until liberals come back to power so they can strike again!Those damned terrorists got us real good didn't they?

Seriously,I cannot respect anyone who thinks the war in the middle east is a good thing.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it be wrong for me to vote liberal just to NFBSK off the holier-than-thou conservatives who peddle this nonsense via chain letters?

I normally vote straight Democratic anyway, but....

- Pseudo "early and often" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beaver_slayer:
In a 2001 paper, Cass Sunstein, a professor at the University of Chicago Law School, described the "echo chamber" effect of blogs and message boards. Rather than fostering debate, moderation and common understanding, he argued, these sites have contributed to the polarization of our political clture. People gravitate toward sites that reflect their established point of view, and once comfortably ensconced in their political echo chamber, the perticipants take turns preaching to the assembled choir, reinforcing each other's ideas and biases, and denoncing anyone who might disagree.

Well, speaking as a blogger, he's got that right. I sure do preach to the choir, and woe be the damned who try to come on my website and disagree with me!

Ami "left-wing circle jerk" gone201

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy Guacamole!

That almost makes me try to get the citizenship before November 7th just to vote democratic.
Are you sure the AFA is a conservative group? It sounds more like a good advertisement for the democrats. You know, making the good things sound like they where bad. Almost like the reverse version of the conversation between Prince John and the Sheriff of Rottingham in Mel Brooks "Robin Hood - Men in tights".

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A return to the "Fairness Doctrine" in broadcasting where opposing views must be given equal time. Every conservative talk show host will be forced to give a liberal equal time on every issue. The purpose of this rule will be to shut down conservative talk shows.

Oddly enough, this "doctrine" is part of the Howard Government's push to "compensate" for a claimed left-wing bias on the ABC. It's said that this would hamper or nobble shows such as Media Watch or Four Corners... and I'm concerned that such might be the case.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karmyn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karmyn   E-mail Karmyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I predict nothing will change much if Democrats win majority. There will just be somebody new to blame.

--------------------
"I have a very cunning plan."

Posts: 506 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages