snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » Why women take so long in the bathroom (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why women take so long in the bathroom
Tasmanian Devil
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Tasmanian Devil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why women take so long in the bathroom

When you have to visit a public bathroom, you usually find a line of women, so you smile politely and take your place. Once it's your turn, you check for feet under the stall doors. Every stall is occupied. Finally, a door opens and you dash in, nearly knocking down the woman leaving the stall.

You get in to find the door won't latch. It doesn't matter. The dispenser for the modern "seat covers" (invented by someone's Mom, no doubt) is handy, but empty. You would hang your purse on the door hook, if there were
one, but there isn't - so you carefully but quickly drape it around your neck, (Mom would turn over in her grave if you put it on the FLOOR!), yank down your pants, and assume "The Stance."

In this position your aging, toneless thigh muscles begin to shake. You'd love to sit down, but you certainly hadn't taken time to wipe the seat or lay toilet paper on it, so you hold
"The Stance." To take your mind off your trembling thighs, you reach for what you discover to be the empty toilet paper dispenser. In your mind, you can hear your mother's voice saying, "Honey, if you had tried to clean the
seat, you would have KNOWN there was no toilet paper!" Your thighs shake more.

You remember the tiny tissue that you blew your nose on yesterday the one that's still in your purse. That would have to do. You crumple it
in the puffiest way possible. It is still smaller than your thumbnail.

Someone pushes open your stall door because the latch doesn't work. The door hits your purse, which is hanging around your neck in front of your chest, and you and your purse topple backward against the tank of the toilet.
"Occupied!" you scream, as you reach for the door, dropping your precious, tiny, crumpled tissue in a puddle on the floor, lose your footing
altogether, and slide down directly onto the TOILET SEAT. It is wet of course. You bolt up, knowing all too well that it's too late. Your bare bottom has made contact with every imaginable germ and life form on the uncovered seat because YOU never laid down toilet paper - not that there was any, even if you had taken time to try. You know that your mother would be
utterly appalled if she knew, because, you're certain, her bare bottom never touched a public toilet seat because, frankly, dear, "You just don't KNOW what kind of diseases you could get."

By this time, the automatic sensor on the back of the toilet is so confused that it flushes, propelling a stream of water like a firehose that somehow sucks everything down with such force that you grab onto the toilet paper dispenser for fear of being dragged in too. At that point, you give up. You're soaked by the spewing water and the wet toilet seat. You're exhausted. You try to wipe with a gum wrapper you found in your pocket and then slink out inconspicuously to the
sinks. You can't figure out how to operate the faucets with the automatic sensors, so you wipe your hands with spit and a dry paper towel and walk past the line of women, still waiting. You are no longer able to smile politely to them. A kind soul at the very end of the line points out a
piece of toilet paper trailing from your shoe. ( Where was that when you NEEDED it??) You yank the paper from your shoe, plunk it the woman's hand and tell her warmly, "Here, you just might need this." As you exit, you spot your hubby, who has long since entered, used and left the men's restroom.

Annoyed, he asks, "What took you so long, and why is your purse hanging around your neck?"

This is dedicated to women everywhere who deal with a public restroom (rest??? you've got to be kidding!!). It finally explains to the men what really does take us so long. It also answers their other commonly asked question about why women go to the restroom in pairs. It's
so the other gal can hold the door, hang onto your purse and hand you Kleenex under the door.

And all along I thought they spent their time reapplying makeup etc... man, was I wrong!! [Roll Eyes]

The thought of women anywhere not bothering to wash their hands but simply spitting on them etc is not exactly an idea that rings true, IMO...

--------------------
I am not bound to please thee with my answers. ~ William Shakespeare

Posts: 18 | From: Tasmania, Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, that piece is much more true than men probably think it is. Sometimes you're also confronted with another woman's used tampon or blood-soaked maxi pad that she carelessly flung on the floor or the back of the toilet. Or the woman who left you a different type of present in the bowl.

They left out the part about flushing the toilet with your foot (if it's not the "surprise!" automatic) because you just can't touch that handle. Who knows what's been on it.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CitizenAim
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CitizenAim   Author's Homepage   E-mail CitizenAim   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about everyone else, but I rarely find bathrooms to be that crowded. I've even been to concerts and sporting events where there was no wait at all.

Whoever wrote this just took every bad bathroom situation possible and mixed it into one thing. Yeah all of those things are true and maybe two or three of them will happen all at once some times but it's not like every trip to the bathroom is the worst experience ever.

Although I still don't understand why those door locks are always broken. Is someone just going in there and bashing them with a large stone? It's not like they're made of plastic or anything.

Posts: 146 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's pretty spot-on. I always check the loo roll dispensers before committing to a toilet now. If you forget, you have to call out and hope that either your friends haven't left yet, or that there are nice people in stalls still furnished with toilet roll, who will then bang on each door til they find you, and stick their hand under with a wodge of paper. Of course, if you're the only one in there, you're going to have to drip dry...!

and never, *ever* put your bag on the floor, there's the suspicous puddle, for a start. and what if the person next door sticks their hand under and nicks it?!

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say, it's unlike any toilet experience I've ever had.

Door lock broken? Use another stall. Or, in many cases, hold it with your foot because the stall is short enough for you to!

Purse, meet floor. Just, like, don't put it in the suspicious puddle. How hard is that? Anyway, even if there is unavoidable suspicious puddling, y'know, I'm not going to be licking the base of the purse later.

Check for bogroll first. Always. Have been caught by that one a few times, but a little drip dry never hurt anyone. Used to do it all the time in the bush when younger, anyway. It's not as if you're going to drip all over the place - and panties are washable.

And don't even get me started on what kind of germs anybody thinks they're likely to get by having the back of their thigh touch a toilet seat. Hey, if you're not straddling the seat and .. erm .. having 'fun' with it, you aren't exposing any real openings to your own body. Honestly, toilet seat protectors and wipes have got to be one of the most useless inventions ever.

You want to know why he thinks you took so long? Because he walked in, unzipped and did the business in a few seconds, zipped up, quick wash, and walked out. If that's all we had to do, we'd be out that quick, too.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, mens bathrooms are spotlessly clean, uncrowded, and always have plenty of supplies. Oh yeah, and they smell like roses, too.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:
I have to say, it's unlike any toilet experience I've ever had.

Door lock broken? Use another stall. Or, in many cases, hold it with your foot because the stall is short enough for you to!

Purse, meet floor. Just, like, don't put it in the suspicious puddle. How hard is that? Anyway, even if there is unavoidable suspicious puddling, y'know, I'm not going to be licking the base of the purse later.

So, you never put your bag down, say, on the kitchen table? You never touch the bottom of your bag? Obviously you're not going to lick it- but it's not like you want someone's wee all over it!

Also, i don't like sitting on toilet seats because a lot of the time there are drips. i don't care if I can't catch anything from them- it's manky all the same.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't tell you how many men's rooms I've seen that don't even have stalls--just toilets sitting out in the open, so you and your neighbors can have a nice little chat together. Or the stalls are there, but doorless.

Of course, that may be a comment on the kind of joints I frequent.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a boyfriend ask me once what took me so long in the RR and I wailed on him but good! And why do my friends want to go with me?!?!?!?!?! I have a "bashful bladder" that is greatly increased when someone I know is in the room - let alone in the next stall trying to hold a conversation with me! ...and, Citizen Aim, you don't find crowded bathrooms at concerts and stuff? I'm movin' to SC!

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
I can't tell you how many men's rooms I've seen that don't even have stalls--just toilets sitting out in the open, so you and your neighbors can have a nice little chat together.

Don't forget the "cattle troughs" with the little smelly hockey pucks where you can pee sholder-to-sholder with your 50 closest strangers...

Yeah, men have it so much better [fish] .

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If there are drips on the toilet seat, it's from all the other women who thought their fannies were too precious to touch the seat and hovered. If people would just quit doing that there would be no need to hover at all!

The few times I've been forced to put my bag down on a public bathroom floor it has grossed me out. Why is it that the dirtiest, nastiest bathrooms are always the ones without a purse hook? I don't lick my purse, but my nearly two year old will put anything in her mouth. [Eek!]

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So, you never put your bag down, say, on the kitchen table? You never touch the bottom of your bag? Obviously you're not going to lick it- but it's not like you want someone's wee all over it!
Funny thing is, urine is sterile. [Smile]

However, yes there are 'nasties' to be had on floors generally. Putting the purse on the floor should be avoided if there are better places. I just don't personally think that around my neck is a better place.

By the time the purse gets home, it's dry, most bacteria have probably died, not having a nice warm and moist environment. Sometimes the purse goes on the kitchen counter. It's regularly cleaned, and we don't eat off of it. We eat off of plates.

So it doesn't seem a big deal. More sense than toilet seat protectors, but then, Unuseless Inventions is filled with things that make far more sense than toilet seat protectors! [Smile]

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think urine necessarily *is* sterile, and furthermore, I think it's wise to generally avoid other people's urine.

I hover all the time- I don't like sitting anywhere anyone else's bare bottom is. I don't ever leave pee all over the place! I'm an expert. I also could never go outside, I would be too uncomfortable not washing my hands- ewwww! And drip dry? Gross! It's *such* a big deal to do that- ewwww!

But if anyone is downtown in New York and needs to know where to find a clean ladies' room, ask me. I have them all mapped out in my head. The two best are the Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel on East Broadway and Houston.

I've never put my purse around my neck, though- I usually have a backpack for work, or a little bag that wouldn't fit, or a big honking tote bag that would snap my neck. The purse around the neck thing is just bizarre.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've often put my purse on the floor, just not in that puddle, and as far as putting it on the kitchen counter goes, it's cleaned several times a day, before and after preparing food.
Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SuperGoten
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperGoten   E-mail SuperGoten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They left out the part about flushing the toilet with your foot (if it's not the "surprise!" automatic) because you just can't touch that handle. Who knows what's been on it.
I never have understood that. I mean, you go to the bathroom, you're going to wash your hands anyway? If you don't then that's disgusting.
Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capri   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't understand why people are so afraid to sit down on a public toilet, after all, what comes out of one's own butt is no cleaner than what went into the toilet before you. As for not touching the handle to flush? What the? There are these things called sinks, and they're equiped with soap despensors in public washrooms!

Purse? What purse? I use a billfold held in a pants pocket. If I had a purse, I'd just keep it on my lap or if it's a small one that straps around the neck, not a problem. Put on hook? No way, somebody could reach over the door of the stall and try to snatch it. On the floor? No way, somebody might reach underneath and steal it. I hadn't thought of the puddle, but blech - another great reason not to put the purse on the floor. Urine might be sterile, but that doesn't matter, it's still stinky and disgusting, I don't even want it on the bottom of my shoe let alone a purse that I'm going to pick up with my bare hands and put somewhere else later.

Drip dry? Um no, not cool. I'll grab some paper towel if there isn't any toilet paper or tissues about.

I rarely if ever take long in the washroom.

And this thread is rather funny.

Posts: 63 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't take long in the restroom, but I still don't touch the seat with my bare butt. I don't care how sterile it is, I don't want someone else's pee on my butt. I also don't touch the handle to flush, because IME there is rarely a working soap dispenser. And if I am about to eat, I don't trust the ice cold water to rinse off let alone kill any sort of coliforms that might grab onto me.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bog-Waffles with wee-syrup

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can't tell you how many men's rooms I've seen that don't even have stalls--just toilets sitting out in the open, so you and your neighbors can have a nice little chat together. Or the stalls are there, but doorless.

Don't forget, the brackets (or at least SOME of them) are still hanging (mostly) from the walls. I always wonder what happened. Did someone come in and steal the partitions and doors? How do you not noticed a person walking off with a 6ft by 8ft bathroom partition wall?? Or even a 3ft by 4ft door!

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I forgot something. It's not just pee on the seats. We have to use the toilets for everything, you know.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother is an RN so I asked her the question about urine being sterile. It's only sterile while it's still in your body. It can encounter yeast and/or bacteria on the way out of the body and therefore is no longer sterile. I'd do a google search but I'm at work and my manager might wonder what I'm up to searching for urine info online.

Personally, I sit most of the time but that's because the majority of my public toilet use is here at work. I know they clean the toilets every night so as long as there isn't any hair or drops of pee, I figure the seat's fairly clean. At a rest area, the mall or a movie theatre I'd be more likely to hover because they get more use and usually stink and have debri everywhere. Ick

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
Oh I forgot something. It's not just pee on the seats. We have to use the toilets for everything, you know.

No kidding. Do you know how much of a pain it is to wash your hair in those self-flushing toilets? Just when you reach for the conditioner, the thing will flush, grab your hair and twist it until your head can take it no more and must release the tension and you end up looking like a break-dancer doing a head-spin.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:

I'm a bit bemused by how precious some people are about not touching things in the toilet (not directed at Cervus in particular!) The amount of potentially harmful bacteria you pick up from flushing the loo by hand, sitting properly on the seat and putting your bag on the floor are probably far less than those you pick up from your keyboard, poles on public transport and door handles but don't think to wash your hands immediatly after.

So long as I have a supply of tissue with me the only things I find sigh-worthy in the ladies is blocked toilets (so you have to go out again, rejoin the queue while explaining to suspicious looking people that the bog is broken and, no, you are not going to use it and make the situation worse), no soap and either no paper towles or hand dryers that blast freezing/boiling air so you have to wipe your hands on yourself (because no matter how many man-size tissues you have brought with you they will turn to mush as soon as you try to dry your hands eith them.

But really the only thing that annoys me is when people leave the lights on when it's not necessary- the loos at work are like this and must be using hours worth of power they needn't because no one thinks to press the lightswitch on their way out when it is obvious no one else is there.

Broken locks I can deal with, I'm old enough not to shriek like Mr Cadbury's Parrot because another woman has pushed the door on me and therefore corrupted my innocence.

We got through the dark ages living in tiny hovels drinking the same river water we defecated in- I think a bit of wipable piss on the toilet seat won't kill you.

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin 2020:
quote:

Don't forget, the brackets (or at least SOME of them) are still hanging (mostly) from the walls. I always wonder what happened. Did someone come in and steal the partitions and doors? How do you not noticed a person walking off with a 6ft by 8ft bathroom partition wall?? Or even a 3ft by 4ft door!
I think some clubs/bars may remove the partition walls between cubicles to stop anyone taking/dealing drugs where they can't be seen.

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Koshka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Koshka         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If there's puddles of pee on the floor, I'm holding it till I can get to another restroom [Eek!] . I still remember the time I went into a Denny's restroom to find someone changing her kid's diaper on the floor of the handicapped stall.

Whether I put my purse on the floor depends more on 1) how much use the restroom gets and 2) whether the side walls of the stall go down to the floor. If it's just me, I'm not too worried about someone swiping my purse, and if the side walls go all the way down putting it toward the back will slow down a snatch-n-run.

But yes, I check for toilet paper first. I used to have trouble explaining to the (male) janitor why I kept calling for more TP for work, after all he'd left two whole rolls last month. I always wanted to tell him the difference between men and women is that women wipe ....

Posts: 244 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vanilla:
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:

No kidding. Do you know how much of a pain it is to wash your hair in those self-flushing toilets? Just when you reach for the conditioner, the thing will flush, grab your hair and twist it until your head can take it no more and must release the tension and you end up looking like a break-dancer doing a head-spin.
Did you forget the post-it note tip? Put a post-it over the sensor to keep it from tripping ~ most people use it to keep it from scaring little kids midstream, but it could help with your hair washing debacle as well...

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
monkey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Koshka:
I still remember the time I went into a Denny's restroom to find someone changing her kid's diaper on the floor of the handicapped stall.

Is this not acceptable? I've done this several times. There isn't always a changing table, and sometimes the floor is the only place to do it. I'd rather change him on the floor in the handicapped stall where there's a door than out in the middle of the restroom! And as long as his hands (and mine!) get washed after, what's the problem?

--------------------
http://sarahdwebber.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1490 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Koshka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Koshka         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Monkey: I'll admit this incident was before the installation of changing stations in public restrooms (they're all over in eastern Nebraska/western Iowa).

However, the mother was changing the kid directly on the floor -- nothing between messy bottom (or dirty diaper) and the tile. She'd also left the stall door open, so it's not like she was doing this in privacy.

Posts: 244 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Koshka:
However, the mother was changing the kid directly on the floor -- nothing between messy bottom (or dirty diaper) and the tile. She'd also left the stall door open, so it's not like she was doing this in privacy.

I've had to change my son's diaper on the floor of a restroom. No it's not fun/nice. But many places still don't have changing stations, particularly in the MEN's restroom. I can't tell you how many times I had to bring Jr. back outside and have my wife check out the ladies room, where sure enough there is a changing table. Discrimination goes both ways. Sometimes I'm not with my wife in such a situation and then have to make do with whatever is there. We do have a foldable changing pad so he's never directly on any 'public' surface.

-Tim

Garnet Jell-o

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garnet Jell-o   Author's Homepage   E-mail Garnet Jell-o   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a woman, and to be honest, I don't relate to the piece in the OP too much...

quote:
Originally posted by Capri:
I don't understand why people are so afraid to sit down on a public toilet, after all, what comes out of one's own butt is no cleaner than what went into the toilet before you.

Wow...You took the words right out of my mouth! I'm always telling my mother that (and she agrees with me). I never bother placing seat covers or toilet paper on the seats nor do I do that hovering over the toliet thing. I'd rather not waste paper or get leg cramps.

quote:
Originally posted by Capri:
As for not touching the handle to flush? What the? There are these things called sinks, and they're equiped with soap despensors in public washrooms!

I agree with that, too. Seriously, I'd think that touching door handles and knobs public buildings would be about as bad as touching toilet handles.

Also, I've never had a problem with resting my purse or my backpack on a bathroom floor, either. I don't think other floors are that much cleaner. And if there's a hook on the stall door, I'd be damned to hang a bag with forty pounds of books in it from a hook, anyway. I don't want to rip the straps on my bookbag

And when I'm going to classes, if there's no toilet paper in the stall I'm using, I just rip out a sheet of notebook paper and use it. I mean, my neighbor used to a keep a mail order catalog in her outhouse (when she still had one) for that reason; no fancy toilet paper for her!

quote:
Originally posted by Red Squirrel:
But really the only thing that annoys me is when people leave the lights on when it's not necessary- the loos at work are like this and must be using hours worth of power they needn't because no one thinks to press the lightswitch on their way out when it is obvious no one else is there.

Oh, I'm glad that someone else is annoyed by that, too! I got in a battle with my quadmates last year about the bathroom lights. Unfortunately, I lost the battle and the damn lights were on 24/7.

--------------------
"I'm really quite simple. I don't want to be in the business full-time because I'm a gardener. I plant flowers and watch them grow. I don't go out to clubs and partying. I stay at home and watch the river flow." - George Harrison

Posts: 28 | From: Towson, Maryland | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it really likely to catch disease from sitting on a toilet seat? I mean, even if there are all manner of incurable and disturbing disease-causing microbes on the seat and they still happen to be alive, that's what your skin is for! It seems like sitting on a toilet seat is one of the least likely ways for you to catch a disease.

Although I can certainly see it being simply disgusting to sit on a dirty toilet seat, it seems highly unlikely to catch any diseases from doing so.

As a pretty much random aside, I have to say that my SO must be in the running for World's Fastest Female (at Using the Bathroom). When it's simply a 1 on 1 comparison (if you get my meaning), she's faster than me a decent amount of the time and overall is pretty much comparable if probably slightly slower overall.

It's a refreshing change from most females, and a big reason I keep her around.

Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by El Camino:
Is it really likely to catch disease from sitting on a toilet seat?

No.

quote:
It's a refreshing change from most females, and a big reason I keep her around.
How heartwarming. [lol]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Garnet Jell-o

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garnet Jell-o   Author's Homepage   E-mail Garnet Jell-o   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by El Camino:
As a pretty much random aside, I have to say that my SO must be in the running for World's Fastest Female (at Using the Bathroom). When it's simply a 1 on 1 comparison (if you get my meaning), she's faster than me a decent amount of the time and overall is pretty much comparable if probably slightly slower overall.

I think I'm in the running for that record, too! I'll except her challenge! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I'm really quite simple. I don't want to be in the business full-time because I'm a gardener. I plant flowers and watch them grow. I don't go out to clubs and partying. I stay at home and watch the river flow." - George Harrison

Posts: 28 | From: Towson, Maryland | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

quote:
Is it really likely to catch disease from sitting on a toilet seat?
Someone 'did' this. Either Penn & Teller's Bullshit, or Mythbusters. I forget which one.

They took swabs from the hand, face, butt cheek and crack of four or five volunteers. Guess which was cleanest? Yup, the butt cheek. Anyone insisting on hovering or using toilet seat wipes/protectors must also refuse to ever shake hands with someone, or be a hypocrite.

The hand and face were germiest. Those bits of us that are out in the air, picking up microbes, and interacting with or touching other things, are those parts that get the most 'germy'. Big surprise.

--------------------

snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't care what swabs say, I don't like to sit on a public toilet. [lol] I'm an expert squatter - I don't dribble. I'm not going to sit on that seat but if someone comes in after me, and sits in pee, it won't be MY doing.

The theatre bathroom is ALWAYS jam packed whenever we go - I guess the movies all get out at the same time and everyone was holding it till the show was over.

What I don't understand is, when the bathroom is nice and well maintained, clean and stocked with supplies (Target is good, and so is the theatre, it's just crowded sometimes) how come SOME women go in the stall and I swear to gawd it takes them 8 minutes in there. What the HELL takes so long???? - I guess I'm a quick pee-er or something.

Not that I care how long someone takes, except for when I'm about to wet my pants, and it takes every bit of self control I have not to yell "WOULD YOU FREAKING PEE ALREADY AND GET THE HELL OUT!!!!" - and you can fiddle with your ten bazillion buckles and whatnot OUT of the stall, you know, which is only considerate if there is a long line.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages