snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » Gothic MySpace (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Gothic MySpace
Cuervorose
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Cuervorose   E-mail Cuervorose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really hate to ask, since this IS reposted from MySpace and we all know how reliable their facts can be [Roll Eyes] . But, can anyone verify/discount this?

This is a newsletter that St. Mary's church in Colorado Springs sent out this week:

If Your Child is a Gothic, Reform Through the Lord!

Listed below are some warning signs to indicate if your child may have gone astray from the Lord. Gothic (or goth) is a very obscure and often dangerous culture that young teenagers are prone to participating in.
The gothic culture leads young, susceptible minds into an imagined world of evil, darkness, and violence. Please seek immediate attention through counselling, prayer, and parental guidance to rid your child of Satan's temptations if five or more of the following are applicable to your child:

-Frequently wears black clothing.
-Wears band and/or rock t-shirts.
-Wears excessive black eye makeup, lipstick or nailpolish.
-Wears any odd, silver jewelry or symbols. Some of these include: reversed crosses, pentagrams, pentacles, ankhs or various other Satanic worshipping symbols.
-Shows an interest in piercings or tattoos.
-Listens to gothic or any other anti-social genres of music. (Marilyn Manson claims to be the anti-Christ, and publicly speaks against the Lord. Please discard any such albums IMMEDIATELY.)
-Associates with other people that dress, act or speak eccentrically.
-Shows a declining interest in wholesome activities, such as: the Bible, prayer, church or sports.
-Shows an increasing interest in death, vampires, magic, the occult, witchcraft or anything else that involves Satan.
-Takes drugs.
-Drinks alcohol.
-Is suicidal and/or depressed.
-Cuts, burns or partakes in any other method of self-mutilation. (This is a Satanic ritual that uses pain to detract from the light of God and His love. Please seek immediate attention for this at your local mental health center.)
-Complains of boredom.
-Sleeps too excessively or too little.
-Is excessively awake during the night.
-Dislikes sunlight or any other form of light. (This pertains to vampires promoting the idea that His light is of no use.)
-Demands an unusual amount of privacy.
-Spends large amounts of time alone.
-Requests time alone and quietness. (This is so that your child may speak to evil sprits through
meditation.)
-Insists on spending time with friends while unaccompanied by an adult.
-Disregards authority figures; teachers, priests, nuns and elders are but a few examples of this.
-Misbehaves at school.
-Misbehaves at home.
-Eats goth-related foods. Count Dracula cereal is an example of this.
-Drinks blood or expresses an interest in drinking blood. (Vampires believe this is how to attain Satan. This act is very
dangerous and should be stopped immediately.)
-Watches cable television or any other corrupted media sources. (Ask your local church for proper programs that your
child may watch.)
-Plays videos games that contains violence or are of a role-playing nature.
-Uses the internet excessively and frequently makes time for the computer.
-Makes Satanic symbols and/or violently shakes head to music.
-Dances to music in a provocative or sexual manner.
-Expresses an interest in sex.
-Masturbates
-Is homosexual and/or bisexual.
-Pursues dangerous cult religions. Such include: Satanism, Scientology, Philosophy, Paganism, Wicca, Hinduism and Buddhism.
-Wears pins, stickers or anything else that contains these various phrases: "I'm so gothic, I'm dead", "woe is me", "I'm a goth".
-Claims to be a goth.

If five or more of these apply to your child, please intervene immediately. The gothic culture is dangerous and Satan thrives within it. If any of these problems persist, enlist your child into your local mental health center.

-St. Mary's Catholic Church

--------------------
You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I'll miss you.

Posts: 54 | From: Alabama | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't verify wether or not it really came from St. Mary's Catholic Church, however, I can say I have seen similar or heard similar things coming from Christian churches before, especially when the list is about one of the "cult religions" it lists.

BTW. I have to say, What. The. ****? to this bit:

quote:
- Pursues dangerous cult religions. Such include: "Satanism, Scientology, Philosophy, Paganism, Wicca, Hinduism and Buddhism."
Cult religions like philosophy??? Not to mention, Satanism, Paganism, Wicca, Hinduism, and Buddhism. But the one that really gets me is Philosophy. That is the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Count Chocula, however, is still approved by the Lord. [fish]

quote:
Shows a declining interest in wholesome activities, such as: the Bible, prayer, church or sports.
Would the parents to whom this is supposedly addressed really need to be reminded that church constitutes a "wholesome" activity? If so, maybe they've been spending too much time alone watching cable TV!!

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fairly certain I've seen this list somewhere before, without the St. Mary's connection. Whatever it is it's at least a year old, maybe more.
Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CuffGirl
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CuffGirl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
WTF? Almost half of those are the normal attitudes of most teenagers.

I especially enjoyed the line about the decrease in interest in wholesome activities. Three of the four activities mentioned have to do with religion. Yeah, I know all the teenagers I know at one point in their childhood showed enthusiasm for going to church and praying. Someone needs to tell St. Mary's that maybe it's not the Goth culture that turned the kids away, it's the fact that church is boring.

--------------------
"Whenever I hear a man say that women hate sex, I think 'No, they just hate having sex with you.'" - Waterlily

Posts: 81 | From: Chicago 'Burbs | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
-Wears any odd, silver jewelry or symbols. Some of these include: reversed crosses, pentagrams, pentacles, ankhs or various other Satanic worshipping symbols.
Personally I'd be much more worried about symbols themselves worshipping.

I have a hard time believing it's real based on the weird way this is written. Of course I could be wrong, and this particular church may have subcontracted Nigerian scammers to do all their writing for them.

Noemi "although Nigerian scammers might do better"

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Not_Done_Living
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not_Done_Living     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
based on this list both me and my 8 year old son are both Goths.

and to tink i never knew until now...

Posts: 62 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cuervorose:
If Your Child is a Gothic, Reform Through the Lord!

The gothic culture leads young, susceptible minds into an imagined world of evil, darkness, and violence. Please seek immediate attention through counselling, prayer, and parental guidance to rid your child of Satan's temptations if five or more of the following are applicable to your child:

-Wears excessive black eye makeup, lipstick or nailpolish.
-Listens to gothic or any other anti-social genres of music. (Marilyn Manson claims to be the anti-Christ, and publicly speaks against the Lord. Please discard any such albums IMMEDIATELY.)
-Shows a declining interest in wholesome activities, such as: the Bible, prayer, church or sports.
-Shows an increasing interest in death, vampires, magic, the occult, witchcraft or anything else that involves Satan.
-Takes drugs.
-Drinks alcohol.
-Is suicidal and/or depressed.
-Cuts, burns or partakes in any other method of self-mutilation. (This is a Satanic ritual that uses pain to detract from the light of God and His love. Please seek immediate attention for this at your local mental health center.)
-Complains of boredom.
-Sleeps too excessively or too little.
-Is excessively awake during the night.
-Dislikes sunlight or any other form of light. (This pertains to vampires promoting the idea that His light is of no use.)
-Requests time alone and quietness. (This is so that your child may speak to evil sprits through
meditation.)
-Disregards authority figures; teachers, priests, nuns and elders are but a few examples of this.
-Misbehaves at school.
-Misbehaves at home.
-Drinks blood or expresses an interest in drinking blood. (Vampires believe this is how to attain Satan. This act is very
dangerous and should be stopped immediately.)
-Watches cable television or any other corrupted media sources. (Ask your local church for proper programs that your
child may watch.)
-Makes Satanic symbols and/or violently shakes head to music.
-Dances to music in a provocative or sexual manner.
-Masturbates
-Is homosexual and/or bisexual.
-Pursues dangerous cult religions. Such include: Satanism, Scientology, Philosophy, Paganism, Wicca, Hinduism and Buddhism.
-Wears pins, stickers or anything else that contains these various phrases: "I'm so gothic, I'm dead", "woe is me", "I'm a goth".
-Claims to be a goth.

If five or more of these apply to your child, please intervene immediately. The gothic culture is dangerous and Satan thrives within it. If any of these problems persist, enlist your child into your local mental health center.

Nearly all of that applies to me. My children therefore will rebel against this. So it should all work out for them [Big Grin]

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Beautiful. My favourite d'oh-content:

One of the signs of your kid being a Goth, apparently, is that (s)he
quote:
Is suicidal and/or depressed.
But it's okay if it's just that, because
quote:
If five or more of these apply to your child, please intervene immediately.
Your child might want to kill himself, but hey, at least (s)he's not a Satanist. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Page Three:
Beautiful. My favourite d'oh-content:

One of the signs of your kid being a Goth, apparently, is that (s)he
quote:
Is suicidal and/or depressed.
But it's okay if it's just that, because
quote:
If five or more of these apply to your child, please intervene immediately.
Your child might want to kill himself, but hey, at least (s)he's not a Satanist. [Roll Eyes]

Or a philosopher.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gothic (or goth) is a very obscure and often dangerous culture that young teenagers are prone to participating in.
Goth culture is obscure? I guess the mall stores selling goth clothing and accessories led me to believe that it was fairly widespread. That and the fact that it's been around since I was a teenager 20+ years ago.
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cuervorose
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cuervorose   E-mail Cuervorose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If this has been going around for a year or so, I'm lucky, I've missed it [Smile] .

Personally, going by the attitudes around here (small town), I could very well see this being real. Just curious about others' opinions [Smile]

--------------------
You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I'll miss you.

Posts: 54 | From: Alabama | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
meditation.)
-Misbehaves at school.
-Misbehaves at home.

OMG!!!111!! Your child's a teenager.

quote:
-Claims to be a goth.

(chuckle)

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen this before, and the whole list is stupid, but the one that pisses me off most is the one about requesting quiet time and aloneness. I just picture some poor kid who wants to be alone with his/her thoughts and have some peace, being harassed by their paranoid parents.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
meditation.)

Perhaps instead if speaking to evil sprit[e?]s, s/he just wants a Pepsi. Once again, the Suicidal Tendencies come to the rescue...from Institutionalized

quote:
I was in my room and I was like just staring at the wall thinking about everything
but then again I was thinking about nothing, and then my mom comes in and I didn't even
know she was there and she calls my name and I didn't hear her and then she started
screaming, MIKE, MIKE, and I go what, what's the matter, and she goes what's the matter
with you?
I go there's nothing wrong mom, and she goes don't give me that, you're on drugs, I go no
mom, I'm not on drugs, I'm ok, I'm just thinking, why don't you get me a Pepsi? She goes,
no, you're on drugs, I go mom, I'm okay, I'm just thinking, she goes no, you're not thinking,
you're on drugs, normal people don't act that way. I go mom, just get me a Pepsi please, all I
want is a Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me, all I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, and
she wouldn't give it to me, just a Pepsi.

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having been a dressed-in-black New Waver in the mid 80's, I'd be delighted to see my kids turn Goth. At least, we'd share similar musical tastes.

And BTW, it's better to have Goth kids than see your offspring start listening to Gangsta' Rap, steal fast cars, deal crack and go to school with an UZI. I guess.

But OK, I'll pay attention. If one of my kids starts to attend the church, quote the Bible or becomes one of those weird, everlasting-plastic-smile-on-their-face Jesus freaks, I'll intervene at once. I swear.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Giles: Xander's taken to teasing the less fortunate?
Buffy: Uh-huh.
Giles: And, there's been a noticeable change in both clothing and demeanor?
Buffy: Yes.
Giles: And, well, otherwise all his spare time is spent lounging about with imbeciles.
Buffy: It's bad, isn't it?
Giles: It's devastating. He's turned into a sixteen-year-old boy. Of course, you'll have to kill him.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Not_Done_Living:
based on this list both me and my 8 year old son are both Goths.

[lol]

That was exactly what I thought-- my 4yo son's favorite tshirt is --gasp--a band shirt. And it's black! Same thing for 8yo daughter.

OMG! We're a Goth family!!!1111!!!

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know truth be told I don't understand practically any of these little "counter culture" groups, I love Goths.

Why? Because out of all the rebellious (in a comformist kinda way), pseudo-tough, wanna be edgy little groups that the disseffective amoungst latch onto... they are they only ones who keep to themselves.

Goths aren't driving down the road blasting bass heavy rap, they aren't on TV holding up a mug of beer and going "WHHHHOOOOOO!" to a camera during spring break, and if by some chance I am forced into a conversation with one of them, if pressed they are usually capable of communicating in English.

They dress in black, keep quiet, and leave other people, most importantly me, alone. I love people like that.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

-Shows a declining interest in activities such as: the Bible, prayer, church or sports.
-Drinks alcohol.
-Complains of boredom.
-Sleeps too excessively.
-Dislikes sunlight or any other form of light (in the morning)
-Requests time alone and quietness.
-Watches cable television or any other corrupted media sources.
-Masturbates

Holy crap! I'm Goth and didn't even know it. As I'm sitting here, I happen to be wearing all black. All my dress pants, shoes, and socks are black for simplicity's sake, so when I wear a black shirt, I'm in all black.

quote:

-Claims to be a goth.

[lol] Now that's just downright funny to me. I see David Letterman in my mind:

"And the number one way to tell if your kid is Goth..... 1. He claims to be Goth."

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 18 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As applied to my wannabeGoth 9 year old daughter:

quote:

Check.

quote:
Well, I am a Unitarian Pagan so ... um ... check.

quote:
-Listens to gothic or any other anti-social genres of music.
Does Oingo Boingo count? Probably. But she also has a VeggieTales album, so I guess that cancels it out.

quote:
You mean like her parents?

quote:
-Complains of boredom.
Duh, she's 9.

quote:
-Misbehaves at school.
-Misbehaves at home.

ADD is teh Satan!!!!!!!11eleven!

quote:
Role playing? Guess I'll have to take away her Kingdom Hearts and Harvest Moon.

quote:
Duh. She's 9. She's currently obsessed with the idea of puberty. Wait, this means every single teenager EVER is Goth, though! Wait, that means I'M Goth!

quote:
-Claims to be a goth.
[/QB]

She does, actually. Crazy kid.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got it back to a Feb., 2004 post to alt.gothic. The poster says he was given a pamphlet with this in it, by a woman soliciting donations outside a Walmart.. The woman said she was collecting donations for "Belen's local Catholic school." The pamphlet concluded with an attributution to "St. Mary's Catholic Church."

I think this really traces back to a St. Mary's School, not Church.

There is a Saint Mary's Catholic School in Belen, New Mexico. The school is affiliated with Our Lady of Beln Catholic Church.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ack! 13 of those points applied to me! I'm teh goth! Ack! 13! That's a goth mumber! I'm, goth^2!
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Goth A-Chow

I can see this turning into a joke email attributed to Jeff Foxworthy soon:

If your kid likes "The Cure", and it isn't a medication, he might be a Goth...

Trish "Let's see Satan stop this one!!11!!!" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, when the subject was "Gothic Myspace" for some reason I thought this was going to be a thread about Sinister Space.

Wow, I am a goth satan-worshipper and I didn't even know it! 22 of those applied to me. [Razz]
Black and/or rock t-shirts? Are there rock t-shirts that aren't black?
quote:
I have a pin that says "Oh crp. You're gonna try to cheer me, up aren't you?" does that count? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

The list is actually written in such a heavy handed way I'm really tempted to think its a parody.

--------------------

Dolores on the DottedLine
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Dolores on the DottedLine     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
*snip*
*snip*

Wow, guess I'M screwed...

--------------------
"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know." -Raoul Duke

Posts: 6 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is most often attributed to St. Mary's Cathedral in Colorado Springs.

They have contacted snopes to deny authorship.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I reversed a cross once and got a cross. Cursed symmetry.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
-Masturbates

I would point out that this obviously applies to absolutely anyone on the face of the planet, but we were all thinking it, so why bother?

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, for what it's worth, here's somebody who doesn't deny authorship.

This post from August 1999 to uk.people.gothic points us to

http://www.redmusic.com/goths/warning.html

where the list is reproduced (and where it obviously appeared seven summers ago).

The owner of the site claims to be the author of this text. (In fact, he claims that it comes from a larger work that is "[t]he most popular and misunderstood thing I ever wrote.") Some pages within the site credit Benjamin Covelo as this piece's author; others credit Josh Ross, owner of palaverist.org.

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non vero, ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so glad that SOMEONE in the Catholic church is finally standing up to all this gothic culture. Maybe we can finally get that Notre Dame Cathedral torn down, what with all its gothic spires and design elements.

And maybe we can finally get all those gothic, Gregorian Chant albums banned for good.

And maybe the Pope will finally grow a set of balls and march into St. Stephens Church and yank that gothically decorated Bible off of the alter and burn it!

BAH! All these gothic elements! Evil is everywhere!

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wish I had a scanner for this (I can't find the image on the web anywhere), but I have a newspaper ad for a local church. The image is a close up of a teen girl's face, wearing a hoop nose ring (sorry, I don't know the technical name; the kind that's looped between the two nostrils, like an ox) and rings in her lips, as well as heavy black eyeliner. Right above the image it says:
quote:
Pierced? Jesus was too...

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robbiev - singin' off key:
quote:

-Claims to be a goth.

:lol: Now that's just downright funny to me. I see David Letterman in my mind:

"And the number one way to tell if your kid is Goth..... 1. He claims to be Goth." [/QB]

Wouldn't that be a pretty unreliable method? Anyone who has to go around claiming to be a goth is probably a poseur.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

quote:
Wouldn't that be a pretty unreliable method? Anyone who has to go around claiming to be a goth is probably a poseur.
Aren't all goths?

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages