snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » Tammy, the burned dog

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tammy, the burned dog
rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rsamboragal   Author's Homepage   E-mail rsamboragal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend just posted this on myspace. Now, I know that the petition thing doesn't work, but is the story true at all? I couldn't find anything about it. I'm presuming it's just more time wasting fodder that gets circulated on that site. Someone remind me again why I'm on it...

Here is the bulletin:

Dear Friends & Colleagues,

I was horrified and shocked to see the article in the Daily Voice yesterday about Tammy, a dog that had been burnt so badly by her owners.

The owners wanted to punish her for jumping over the wall into the
neighbours place. They fetched her and put her in her kennel and set it
alight.

I am not sure how many of you have seen the pictures. As an animal lover
it brought tears to my eyes because she was burnt so badly. The SPCA had
to put her down.

The SPCA have removed the other 2 dogs from these people and are pressing
criminal charges against them. I am therefore appealing to all animal
lovers to please add your name to the petition so that the owners are given
the maximum punishment befitting to them.

I have spoken with the Daily Voice, and we have an agreement that they will
forward the signatures to the SPCA to use in the prosecution of these
people.

PLEASE, if you agree, please sign the petition and forward to as many contacts as possible.

Every 500 signatures, please return to me:
hfaulman@bremner.uct.ac.za mailto:hfaulman@bremner.uct.ac.za.

This will then be forwarded to the Daily Voice who in turn will forward it to
the SPCA.

Thank you and regards,
Hillary

r"stop the madness!"samboragal

--------------------
www.myspace.com/azharleydiva

Posts: 65 | From: Goodyear, AZ | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there any news story on the 'Net to back this up, I wonder?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tammy story from K9 magazine

quote:
Tragic terrier, Tammy, was mercifully put to sleep by The RSPCA after her abuser, 28 year old Robert Walker had been found guilty of causing her unnecessary suffering FOR THE SECOND TIME.

Five year old Tammy's catalogue of injuries included:

-: 20 cigarette burns on her head
-: 7 broken ribs
-: A punctured a lung
-: Both ear drums perforated
-: All of her canine teeth knocked out
-: A broken back

The owner only got 21 days in prison. [Mad]

ETA: I may have found a different dog to the one in the OP, which may be this one, though no name is given. Perhaps the two cases have been mixed together? It also goes to show just how cruel some pet owners can be.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Every 500 signatures, please return to me:
hfaulman@bremner.uct.ac.za mailto:hfaulman@bremner.uct.ac.za.

And I am certain that the UK Secretary of the Environment will be swayed by all those signatures coming from South Africa.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Deleted due to general idiocy!

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
Tammy story from K9 magazine

quote:
Tragic terrier, Tammy, was mercifully put to sleep by The RSPCA after her abuser, 28 year old Robert Walker had been found guilty of causing her unnecessary suffering FOR THE SECOND TIME.

Five year old Tammy's catalogue of injuries included:

-: 20 cigarette burns on her head
-: 7 broken ribs
-: A punctured a lung
-: Both ear drums perforated
-: All of her canine teeth knocked out
-: A broken back

The owner only got 21 days in prison. [Mad]
21 days, huh? That's fine with me as long as in those 21 days he:

-was burned by a cigarette 20 times on his head
-had 7 ribs broken
-had one lung punctured
-had both of his heardrums perforated
-had all of his cainine teeth knocked out

and

-had his back broken

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pilchik
Deck the Malls

Icon 211 posted      Profile for pilchik   E-mail pilchik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My eyes can't quite read this but this image accompanied the story on a blog-

-

I can't tell where (or when) it is from. As this -
quote:
Mrs Hillary Faulmann (...snip...) hfaulman@bremner.uct.ac.za
- is a leigitimate email address at the University of Cape Town, I would guess it would be in that area.
- or someone could just email and ask- [Smile]

Edited because the original image disappeared.

--------------------
"20 years of boredom"

Posts: 242 | From: Niagara Falls, Ontario | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hawthorne
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawthorne   E-mail Hawthorne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rsamboragal:
[QB] My friend just posted this on myspace. Now, I know that the petition thing doesn't work, but is the story true at all? I couldn't find anything about it. I'm presuming it's just more time wasting fodder that gets circulated on that site. Someone remind me again why I'm on it...

Someone later posted a link to a news story which was much more conservative, but essentially said the same thing. It also said that the owner was being prosecuted.

My guess is that an animal rights zealot saw the story, hyped it up a bit to make it sound even ghastlier than it was - though surely it was bad enough already - and circulated it as if nothing was being done.

Next there will be a push to pass some sort of new law targeting responsible pet owners and breeders.

The animal rights organizations use these incidents to press for ever more restrictive laws, in pursuit of their goals which are global veganism and abolishment of all animal ownership.

Whenever you see something like this, particularly when it has been sensationalized to wring the absolute maximum emotional response from people, you may be sure that there is a PETA or HSUS or other animal rights organization member behind it pushing.

Remember that even if the essential points of the story are true, there are laws in place to deal with these things almost everywhere. Most often, the law has already dealt with the perpetrator.

No law can actually prevent anything, and sometimes law breakers aren't punished to the fullest extent of the law, but the laws are already in place.

Hug your pets. If the AR zealots get their way, they may be the last pets you have. The latest rash of ordinances in the US have been truly draconian.

Posts: 1 | From: Carlton, OR | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DrMerkwuerdig
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrMerkwuerdig   E-mail DrMerkwuerdig   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hawthorne, I can understand your dislike of PETA, who are a bunch of raving fanatics, but the Humane Society neither promotes "global veganism" nor "abolishment of all animal ownership". In fact, they often support animal owners in caring for their pets. Lumping them together with the lunatic fringe of the animal rights movement is unfair.

--------------------
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Posts: 91 | From: Vienna, Austria | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PetLover

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PetLover     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
oh- the whole story is posted here!

http://www.iheartpaws.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963

They still don't have the story straight! I accidently opened a second thread about this.

Posts: 21 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if this particular story wasn't true, animal cruelty happens every day. I haven't seen a burned animal personally... for dog the common one is a choker/collar that's too tight. I bet a lot of you have seen the stories on Animal Planet where the collar has literally cut into and been grown over by flesh. The worst example I saw was a 9" collar on a 19" neck.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soccer
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Soccer   E-mail Soccer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by medtchva:
Even if this particular story wasn't true, animal cruelty happens every day. I haven't seen a burned animal personally... for dog the common one is a choker/collar that's too tight. I bet a lot of you have seen the stories on Animal Planet where the collar has literally cut into and been grown over by flesh. The worst example I saw was a 9" collar on a 19" neck.

Watching Ceasar Milan's "Dog Whisper" show a few days back they came across a dog who couldn't grow hair around it's neck (in the position the leash would go) because the previous owners had actually used a wire rather than a leash and then attached it to a stake in the ground. It was a sad sight, and makes it even harder to ignore there are worse problems out there.
Posts: 71 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
htonl

Icon 15 posted      Profile for htonl   Author's Homepage   E-mail htonl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pilchik:
My eyes can't quite read this but this image accompanied the story on a blog-

(...snip image...)

I can't tell where (or when) it is from. As this -
quote:
Mrs Hillary Faulmann (...snip...) hfaulman@bremner.uct.ac.za
- is a leigitimate email address at the University of Cape Town, I would guess it would be in that area.
- or someone could just email and ask- [Smile]

The case is indeed from Cape Town. There is a much clearer version of that article - you can see that it talks about "the Cape Flats couple", which is a definite indication that it was in Cape Town. That article is from the Daily Voice (mentioned in the OP) which is one of our new "British-style" tabloids here in Cape Town.

The email address is, as you said, valid. (I am a student at UCT, so I looked it up.) "Bremner" (as in @bremner) is the main administration building, notorious for being populated by the type of person who would create pointless e-petitions. [Roll Eyes] (I say "pointless" not because it's a bad motivation, but because, as we all know, e-petitions don't have any influence.)

If anyone wants to know what's happening to the case, I guess I could walk down to her office and ask...

--------------------
Part of the Secular Humanist Conspiracy™ since 1997.

Posts: 35 | From: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages