snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » Kids Say The Darndest Things (or do they?)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kids Say The Darndest Things (or do they?)
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Got this gem in my inbox from a friend. Even though it's kind of funny, the premise seems highly unlikely to me. Here's the email in it's entirety -

quote:
A first grade teacher had twenty five students in
her class and she presented each child in her
class
the first half of a well known proverb and asked
them to come up with the remainder of the proverb.
It's hard to believe these were actually done by
first graders. Their insight may surprise you.
While reading these keep in mind that these are
first graders, 6-year-olds, because the last one is
classic!
1. Don't change horses..........................until they stop running.
2. Strike while the........................................bug is close.
3. It's always darkest before.....................Daylight Saving Time.
4. Never underestimate the power of ....... termites.
5. You can lead a horse to water but ......... how?
6. Don't bite the hand that ...................... looks dirty.
7. No news is ..........................impossible
8. A miss is as good as a .............................. Mr.
9. You can't teach an old dog new ............ math.
10. If you lie down with dogs, you'll ........... stink in the
morning.
11. Love all, trust ..................................... me.
12. The pen is mightier than the .................. pigs.
13. An idle mind is...............................the best way to relax.
14. Where there's smoke there's ................. pollution.
15. Happy the bride who.........................gets all the presents.
16. A penny saved is ................................. not much.
17. Two's company, three's .................... the Musketeers.
18. Don't put off till tomorrow what ....... you put on to go to bed.
19. Laugh and the whole world laughs with you, cry and ................you have to blow your nose.
20. There are none so blind as .................. Stevie Wonder.
21. Children should be seen and not ........... spanked or grounded.
22. If at first you don't succeed .................... get new batteries.
23. You get out of something only what you ........ see in the picture on the box.
24. When the blind
lead the blind ................ get out of the way.

And the WINNER and last one!

25. Better late than ..................................pregnant

So, anyone know if this email has been circulated as anything else? And if the premise that it was written by children is true/false? My obvious assumption is that someone just wrote some mildly humorous tidbits and then decided to try and make it funnier by claiming it was written by kids.

(chow me if necessary, I searched the ULRP as well as the forums)

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It might have been older students. I can imagine these popping up in a class of 15-18 year olds, but I doubt 8 year olds would come up with them.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can imagine this being compiled from the anwsers from several classes of 6-year-olds (may over some years), but not as the 25 anwsers of 25 kids in one class. Older kids would probably know the proverbs and not make up endings of their own.

quote:
17. Two's company, three's .................... the Musketeers.

made me laugh out loudly!

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't count on it, I've seen some pretty horrifyingly stupid 18 year old students. If the teacher did this test on five separate classes, I would be surprised if something like this did not come up.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm. This sounds suspiciously like a few answers from a game in I'm sorry I haven't a clue. Some of them just seem too deliberate, and a few sounded familiar too (but it might just be the style playing tricks with my memory).

Edit: Here's a link to some examples of answers from the game.

Page "A fool and his money are... welcome at Lloyds" Three

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, first off, and I'm not clear from waht was written, but if this was actually a test of coming up with the actual latter half I don't buy it, they are all too clever to be 'mistakes'.

That out of the way, I don't believe these are from six year olds, too many of them include concepts or phrases I just don't picture six year olds knowing, for example:

quote:
5. Better late than ..................................pregnant
Additionally, as others have said, at best these are hand-picked out of many answers, sort of like "Jaywalking", even if you told all 25 to come up with funny answers they would not all be this clever..

And with that in mind, most of them simply seem to clever, not to say six year olds can't be clever, but I just don't see them coming up with alot of these, they just seem to perfect an answer and some involve pop culture or celebrities I don't picture six year olds knowing, or at least not knowing well enough to draw upon when trying to make a joke.

Oh well, some are funny though, a good change from most of teh "look what teh children wrote!" I definitly expected this to be anohter god-style post.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On a bit of a tangent- I keep getting spam with a load of proverbs at the bottom (makes a change from Harry Potter passages), and the other day I got one with "You can lead a horse to water but ......... how?" in it. Which confused me...but now it makes more sense! How nice that spammers get crap in their inboxes too.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to go through and see how many I actually know... [Cool]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter's preschool class did something like this. Some of them do seem a bit too sly to be actual children's responses, but I've seen what my daughter and her class mates wrote back then and they are pretty funny.

I was going to share some with you, but I just dug out the preschool yearbook and it's not in there. :S

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My fav actually answers from tests:
Name the four seasons:
Salt, pepper, ketchup and mustard.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ink Rose:
My fav actually answers from tests:
Name the four seasons:
Salt, pepper, ketchup and mustard.

This was a test answer you saw, then?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually it was from a lecture on the test itself given for employees. My mom had to go and she brought back the hand outs. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh. I wondered, you see, because everybody knows the Four Seasons are Frankie Valli, Bob Gaudio, Tommy DeVito and Nick Massi.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

O_O Funnily enough that's what my dad said. >_< He's the only fan in the family so... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages