snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » Serving 101 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Serving 101
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TITLE: Serving 101--Take care of those who take care of ur food!

The part before the break was added I guess...

THIS SHOULD BE COMMON KNOWLEDGE BUT IT"S NOT!~ OH YEAH AND I'M NOT A SERVER ANYMORE, BUT I ONCE WAS AND IT'S HELL... SO READ THIS... YOU ACTUALLY MIGHT LEARN SOMETHING. AND REMEMBER.... COPY. PASTE. AND REPOST! THANKS GUYS... READ ON... THIS SHIT IS PRETTY TRUE. *ARI*

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

The next time you're out eating at a resturant, look at your server. Do you think they are really happy to be doing that job? The answer is no, they are not, but its what we do, and we do it for the money so please help them out. Its a tougher job than you think and you should pay them accordingly!

There are SO many people out there flooding the restaurants w/o any knowledge of how to tip. Here is a short guide for the gene ral public to follow. Feel free to print out and store in your wallet and/or purse.

1. CHILDREN "THE LITTLE DEVILS":
If you have children, DO NOT let them, open and dump anything on the table (ie; salt, sugar, etc). IF YOU DO, you must leave an extra $5 for the server to clean up YOUR CHILD'S mess & to restock the now unusable wasted items. Don't get mad if you ask for crackers and your server tells you they're out when you just saw another table eating crackers with their soup -- can you blame them for not wanting to clean up the mess afterward? We are neither their babysitter nor their parent. The least you can do is pay us for the extra work. Also make sure you control your kids and don't let them scream or run around the restraunt. It's very distracting not to mention dangerous if they get ran over by a server with hot food in their hands.

2. "THE CAMPERS":
If you feel the necessity to stay for longer than 15 minutes after you pay, its an extra $3 every 30 minutes. We make our money from the tables. If you are in one and we can't seat it, we don't make money.

3. COMPLIMENTS:
Telling a server they are the best server they've ever had is not a tip. If we are good, let us know by leaving us more money. We cant pay our bills on compliments. Its not that we don't appreciate the praise, its just that if you say that and then leave 10% it's an insult.

4. THE SALVATION PAMPHLETS: (I love me some Jesus, but this is definitely frustrating!)
Prayer cards and any other religious pamphlet is NOT a tip. It is insulting that you assume we are w/o religion and must save us. Again, like ..3, we cant pay bills w/prayer cards. We'd go to church on Sundays if it wasn't mandatory to work on Sundays because EVERYONE who goes to church follows it by eating out. Also don't try to preach to us while we are working. We don't go to your work and put you down so don't do it to us.

5. TIPPING:
It is not 1960. Cost of living has gone up dramatically since then. 18% is the MINIMUM amount of what you should be tipping your servers. Remember, that steak is $12.99 not $22.99 because restaurants aren't required to pay minimum wage in most states! We are taxed on 10 percent of your meal automatically anyway, not to mention we have to tip out a percentage of our sales - your bill - to the hosts, bartenders, and bussers. So if you dont leave a tip, WE END UP PAYING FOR YOUR MEAL!! So move that decimal one spot left and multiply by 2 and your server will never be disappointed. ($25 = $2.50 x 2 = $5)

6. THE COMPLAINERS:
If you get a discount because of your food was prepared wrong or something, do not take it out of our tip. We didn't cook it. The cooks get paid hourly regardless if the food sucks. However, we only make what you give us. And don't ever leave a percentage on the total after the discount or comp -- always tip on what the total would have been.

7. THE LATE ONES:
If you come into the restraunt 10 mins before closing or any time near closing hurry up and order your food and get out. Closed means closed, not social hour. It is so rude to sit there and take your sweet ass time. We can't leave until you leave because we have to do sidework and clean the table you are sitting at. We don't want to stand there waiting for you for an extra hour just because you don't want to go home. We recommend 24 hour establishments such as Dennys or Steak n Shake if you wish to sit into the wee hours of the night.

8. THE TABLE HOGERS:
If you only come in for coffee or a dessert, to do paper work, or to have a meeting, don't sit there taking up our booths for hours. We are not Starbucks or a hotel restraunt. If you want to sit for hours, go there or else you better leave a good tip for us and camping fee included.

9. THE GREET:
When we come up to the table to greet you and we ask how you are doing please let us know. We honestly want to know how you are doing. If you are in a bad mood we want to know that from the beginning. A confused stare or complete silence does not suffice as a reply to "How are you doing?". Also don't interrupt our greeting and say "I want coffee", "can we get some bread, or "what are the soups?"

10. THOSE DAMN CELL PHONES:
Don't ever talk on your cell phone in a restraunt. This is probably the rudest thing to do. If you must be on your cell, at least keep your voice down in respect for other customers. If you are on your cell phone when we walk up to greet your table we will walk away until you get off your phone. Just show some respect and give us your attention for a couple of minutes.

11. TAKE-AWAY OR TOGOS:
Always remember to tip the take-out order servers! They work just as hard as a server, and hardly ever get tips for it! THEY DESERVE TO BE TIPPED TOO!

12. I am not going to give 1 pound of lemons so your cheapass doesn't have to get charged for a lemonade

13. Yes, I see you, oh are you ready to order, ok, what can I get you.......oh, you don't know...YOU SAID YOU WERE READY!!!!!

14. Table of 4 ladies= 4 waters w/ lemons, + 4 straws + 8 ranches, (no matter what they order)= 4 seperate checks and a horrible tip

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SERVERS READING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please repost this so the word can get out, since so many people are uneducated about tips and our lives depend on this - at least for now......

SIGNED, YOUR FELLOW RESTAURANT WORKERS

REPOST THiS iN HONOR OF ALL THOSE AMAZiNG SERVERS OUT THERE !!! AND TiP THEM GOOD TOOO ....

missing one....teenagers, parents teach your teens to tip, because it will only come back to them when they end up working at a restaurant...

MY COMMENTS TO THE POSTER:

um the take out servers just give you the food they dont do any work, the people who put the food together deserve more tip than that

the table hoggers-get a smaller table...thats the hostess's job

this thing is just full of bad suggestions.

I didn't mention it to her, but being a waitress in a bingo hall is SO much worse. try a 25 cent tip!

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a tip: punctuation and spelling are your friend.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michael Cole
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Cole   E-mail Michael Cole   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I might have a go at this. Note that I am from Australia, where the whole tipping culture is nowhere near what the the US has (we actually try to pay people a proper wage), so take my dislike of that culture as a given.

quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
TITLE: Serving 101--Take care of those who take care of ur food!

[Snip]

The next time you're out eating at a resturant, look at your server. Do you think they are really happy to be doing that job? The answer is no, they are not, but its what we do, and we do it for the money so please help them out. Its a tougher job than you think and you should pay them accordingly!

Either that, or their employer should pay them accordingly.
quote:

There are SO many people out there flooding the restaurants w/o any knowledge of how to tip. Here is a short guide for the gene ral public to follow. Feel free to print out and store in your wallet and/or purse.

1. CHILDREN "THE LITTLE DEVILS":
If you have children, DO NOT let them, open and dump anything on the table (ie; salt, sugar, etc).

This should be considered as good manners, not purely for restaurants. Hell, are you saying that they should do this at home?
quote:

IF YOU DO, you must leave an extra $5 for the server to clean up YOUR CHILD'S mess & to restock the now unusable wasted items.

Ah no. If they are being paid an hourly rate by their employer, then I don't pay extra.
quote:

Don't get mad if you ask for crackers and your server tells you they're out when you just saw another table eating crackers with their soup -- can you blame them for not wanting to clean up the mess afterward?

Perhaps they don't want to clean up a mess, but I can certainly blame them for lieing to me, and for suspecting me of an offence before it is committed. Anyone who refused to serve me would not be getting either a tip or a return visit.
quote:

We are neither their babysitter nor their parent. The least you can do is pay us for the extra work.

The first sentence is correct, but given that you are not a babysitter, you should not act as one, and as such, you should not get extra pay for doing so. If the parents do not control their own kids, then ask them to leave, if only for the sake of the other patrons.
quote:

Also make sure you control your kids and don't let them scream or run around the restraunt. It's very distracting not to mention dangerous if they get ran over by a server with hot food in their hands.

It could also be dangerous if other annoyed patrons decide to throttle the little beggars.
quote:

2. "THE CAMPERS":
If you feel the necessity to stay for longer than 15 minutes after you pay, its an extra $3 every 30 minutes. We make our money from the tables. If you are in one and we can't seat it, we don't make money.

Ha! All that means is that we delay paying for as long as possible. And if you are whinging about our timeliness, then you better make bloody sure that both our food and the check are brought out quickly - courtesy works both ways buddy.
quote:

3. COMPLIMENTS:
Telling a server they are the best server they've ever had is not a tip.

Well if I ever say that, then I'll read the rest of the paragraph.
quote:

[SNIP]

4. THE SALVATION PAMPHLETS: (I love me some Jesus, but this is definitely frustrating!)
Prayer cards and any other religious pamphlet is NOT a tip. It is insulting that you assume we are w/o religion and must save us. Again, like ..3, we cant pay bills w/prayer cards. We'd go to church on Sundays if it wasn't mandatory to work on Sundays because EVERYONE who goes to church follows it by eating out. Also don't try to preach to us while we are working. We don't go to your work and put you down so don't do it to us.

This I can fully agree with, and you do have my sympathies.
quote:

5. TIPPING:
It is not 1960. Cost of living has gone up dramatically since then. 18% is the MINIMUM amount of what you should be tipping your servers. Remember, that steak is $12.99 not $22.99 because restaurants aren't required to pay minimum wage in most states!

THEN MAKE THEM. I am not your employer - annoy him for your wage, not me. I expect to pay exactly what is written on the menu. If you want a certain amount of money, then say it up front. Every other industry works like that. When I do a service for my company's clients, I don't ask them for money directly. My company bills them for my services, and then pays me. Why should you be any different?
quote:

We are taxed on 10 percent of your meal automatically anyway, not to mention we have to tip out a percentage of our sales - your bill - to the hosts, bartenders, and bussers. So if you dont leave a tip, WE END UP PAYING FOR YOUR MEAL!!

Then don't do it. If I want to tip the hosts, bartenders or bussers anything, then I will do it myself. Don't try the guilt trip - It ain't gonna work.
quote:

So move that decimal one spot left and multiply by 2 and your server will never be disappointed. ($25 = $2.50 x 2 = $5)

How about if I feel the urge, and it was worth it, then I just round up to the nearest whatever, and tell you to keep the change. Not enough, well then I'll just pay by card, and pay the exact amount, and let you guys figure out who's paying the Credit Card Service fee. If you have expectations as to what I should pay for service, then stick it upfront on the menu.
quote:

6. THE COMPLAINERS:
If you get a discount because of your food was prepared wrong or something, do not take it out of our tip. We didn't cook it. The cooks get paid hourly regardless if the food sucks. However, we only make what you give us.

Then why don't you ask your boss for an hourly wage, just like the cooks?
quote:

And don't ever leave a percentage on the total after the discount or comp -- always tip on what the total would have been.

Yeah, whatever. Shit, it sounds like you need a mathematics degree just to eat out.
quote:

7. THE LATE ONES:
If you come into the restraunt 10 mins before closing or any time near closing hurry up and order your food and get out. Closed means closed, not social hour. It is so rude to sit there and take your sweet ass time. We can't leave until you leave because we have to do sidework and clean the table you are sitting at. We don't want to stand there waiting for you for an extra hour just because you don't want to go home. We recommend 24 hour establishments such as Dennys or Steak n Shake if you wish to sit into the wee hours of the night.

This I will fully agree with.
quote:

8. THE TABLE HOGERS:
If you only come in for coffee or a dessert, to do paper work, or to have a meeting, don't sit there taking up our booths for hours. We are not Starbucks or a hotel restraunt. If you want to sit for hours, go there or else you better leave a good tip for us and camping fee included.

Either that, or or you could just tell them to naff off.
quote:

9. THE GREET:
When we come up to the table to greet you and we ask how you are doing please let us know.

"Well, my lumbago has been playing up..."

I'll snip the rest. Obviously I'm not going to be the favourite customer here...

--------------------
Q. What's the difference between a Computer saleman and a Used Car Salesman?
A. The Used Car Salesman knows when he is lying.

Posts: 421 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Cole:
Ha! All that means is that we delay paying for as long as possible. And if you are whinging about our timeliness, then you better make bloody sure that both our food and the check are brought out quickly - courtesy works both ways buddy.

As far as the e-mailer is concerned, nothing bad that happens with the meal is their fault, because servers are beyond reproach. If the food is bad or wrong (or slow, I'd guess), it's the cooks' fault. I'd wager that if their overall service were slow, they'd say that it was either be the fault of their patrons (those monsters!), or of their management.

--------------------

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems like the writer is bitter and probably the reason for everyone getting such poor service and in return a poor tip. You shouldn't expect a good tip - YOU EARN IT. That is the whole point of tipping!!
Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

quote:
Originally posted by Nicki:
Seems like the writer is bitter and probably the reason for everyone getting such poor service and in return a poor tip.

That reminds me of something that happened at a Bennigan's five or six years ago. Two of my friends visited, and we (them, and my now-wife) went out to eat. The waitress brought out the drinks, and accidentally spilled my friend's beer on my wife. My wife wasn't upset, and knew it was purely an accident. She reassured the waitress of that multiple times. The amount of my tip was not going to be impacted because of it.

Apparently the waitress assumed that we wouldn't be giving a tip, because she went on to provide the worst service that I've ever had. Didn't say a word, didn't check back to see if we needed any drink refills or dessert, and literally threw the check onto the table.

She screwed herself out of a tip, but she probably blamed us. I hope that the polite conversation I had with her manager resulted in appropriate discipline. While it doesn't really matter, I told the manager that I would never set foot in a Bennigan's again, and I haven't.

--------------------

wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Don't get mad if you ask for crackers and your server tells you they're out when you just saw another table eating crackers with their soup -- can you blame them for not wanting to clean up the mess afterward?
Many years ago I took my toddler(now 24 years old)to a local restaurant. I asked for crackers for him and was told they did not give crackers to children, though they did not explain why.

This was not an excessively fancy restaurant (the food was pretty good, but it was best known for the model train that traveled around the restaurant just below ceiling level) and we were there at lunchtime. Also, my son was exceedingly well-behaved as a toddler.

I didn't tip, never set foot in that restaurant again and always gave it a bad review to other people, though I didn't tell the management why and probably should have.

Though I don't fancy myself a particularly vengeful person, I have to admit to a certain amount of personal satisfaction when that restaurant folded. Not that I think I was personally responsible, I just think the attitude they displayed to me was indicative of how they treated customers in general.

(Edited to fix grammar and formatting)

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YakkoW
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YakkoW   E-mail YakkoW   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I've been a server. And while I don't appreciate this particular writer's obvious bitterness and lack of grammar and tact, many of the bits of advice in this message are really quite good advice for restaurant patrons.

Many people don't realize that the server's entire livelihood comes from their tip. The "tip" in American restaurants isn't something extra; it's the only way for the server to make money. And the server works much harder than you'd think to earn it. You see the server when he or she is taking your order, bringing out your food, checking on you, and bringing the check. What you don't see is that the server often has to be there early to help prepare food, may have had to prepare some of your food after you ordered it, and will probably be there long after their customers have left to do various "sidework": everything from rolling hundreds of pieces of silverware in napkins to cleaning out coffee pots to restocking all the salt and pepper that various youngsters poured on the floor during the shift.

I agree with Michael Cole that servers should be paid a decent hourly rate, and that tips (if any) ought to be extra. Then many of the issues above (such as the problem with "campers" who take up the tables for hours and unintentionally prevent the server from making money) would be eliminated. I think that's how it should work. But it doesn't. Americans in general don't seem to like that system, and they vote with their dollars. The restaurant that includes the server's wage in the meal always seems more expensive than the one that lets you decide what the server is worth yourself, so that's the system Americans have chosen. It's not fair to blame the server because you don't like the system.

People sometimes say that servers should "demand" to be paid at least minimum wage. But that's just not realistic. Many servers are college students who need odd hours and don't have a lot of work experience yet. Their job opportunities are limited, and if the job market in your area is poor and the only place that's hiring is the restaurant down the street, that's what you take. If you don't take it, someone else will.

Besides, if you love people (I do), and you're friendly and efficient (I am), you can make decent money serving. (Michael, I know you say you've never given the "best server I've ever had" compliment, but I did receive it on numerous occasions. Sometimes the tables also tipped accordingly. Frequently they did not.) But imagine how frustrating it can be when you have days where you work extra hard due to whiny children and demanding customers; you've prepared their food, cleaned up after their children, taken care of their special requests, got their food out quickly, made repeated trips to their table to handle numerous issues, and refilled their waters during the hours they've taken over your tables, and stayed friendly and upbeat the entire time... only to be left a few coins on the table, or nothing at all. And that's what you're taking home from this hard day of work. Is it enough to quit your job? No, because on other days you're making enough to make up for it, and there may not be another job available. But it's very disheartening. In an hourly wage job, on a frustrating day you can say to yourself, "at least I made $X today." A server doesn't have that comfort when the tips are poor.

Servers generally do okay if they give good service. No need for a sob story. But there are things that restaurant patrons do that have a major impact on the server, and as a restaurant patron, it doesn't hurt to be aware of that so that you can make your server's day a little nicer.

--Justin

ETA: Oh, and I would never refuse to give crackers to children. I always gave them when requested, just like I always gave my best service to even the rudest of customers. Some people noticed and tipped well as a result. Many didn't.

Posts: 25 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a few thought on servers who say you have to tip because they are making less than minimum wage...

If you serve well, you will get tipped well.
If you serve poorly, you will get tipped poorly (or not at all).
If you can't make a living getting tipped poorly, then maybe you are in the wrong job. Not getting tipped should be a big hint that you stink as a server and need to do something else to make money.

The amount you get paid, whether it's from salary or tips or both, should be comensurate with the work you perform. If you're not getting tips as a server, move on, do something else, try landscaping or babysitting or ushering at a movie theater, whatever. Just don't tell me I have to pay you to do your job badly, not going to happen. Find a job you can perform well and we will all be much happier.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
can someone explain 'tipping out'? i've read about it on a couple of threads but i'm not sure i understand it.

"If you have children, DO NOT let them, open and dump anything on the table (ie; salt, sugar, etc). IF YOU DO, you must leave an extra $5 for the server to clean up YOUR CHILD'S mess & to restock the now unusable wasted items."

i'm sorry, i thought it was your job to clean up after customers. i'm not paying you extra to do what you're employed to do.

if a waiter/ess was as rude to me as that email is, there's no way they'd be getting a tip. i hate the attitude that because they don't get paid well, other people should subsidise them. ok, so you don't earn a decent wage. i'm sorry about that, but it's not your right to demand money from me just for doing your job.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
"If you have children, DO NOT let them, open and dump anything on the table (ie; salt, sugar, etc). IF YOU DO, you must leave an extra $5 for the server to clean up YOUR CHILD'S mess & to restock the now unusable wasted items."

i'm sorry, i thought it was your job to clean up after customers. i'm not paying you extra to do what you're employed to do.

Actually, it is the server's job to take your order and deliver your food, in a polite and timely manner.

If you are wasting communal supplies (salt, sugar) and/or making messes you are not behaving properly in public. I don't think leaving an extra $5 for the server is really appropriate in this case, though, because it is likely the busser will be the one to deal with the mess. They don't receive tips. The price for the wasted supplies should go to the house, not the server.

I can't imagine anyone would purposefully waste salt and sugar or allow their child to, but apparently there are, and at least some of those people think that the price you pay for food in a restaurant should also cover cleaning of whatever mess they feel like making while there. Jessboo, if someone lets their child reach into his diaper and smear poo all over the seats and table, are you also including that cleaning up as to be expected for the price of dinner? Yes, there are people employed by restaurants whose sole job is to clean up the usual amount of crumbs, dripped food, etc, made by a normal customer. There are even people who are paid to clean the restrooms. However, no one should have to clean up messes that are purposefully made, and no one is being paid specifically for that service. The house gets money for their food, and a small additional amount for the general operation and wear and tear of the restaurant. The server is getting paid by tips for the quality of their service and a small hourly wage. The rest of the staff gets an hourly wage for doing their own specific tasks. No one is being paid to be your maid.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
THIS SHOULD BE COMMON KNOWLEDGE BUT IT"S NOT!~ OH YEAH AND I'M NOT A SERVER ANYMORE, BUT I ONCE WAS AND IT'S HELL... SO READ THIS... YOU ACTUALLY MIGHT LEARN SOMETHING. AND REMEMBER.... COPY. PASTE. AND REPOST! THANKS GUYS... READ ON... THIS SHIT IS PRETTY TRUE. *ARI*

I am growing sick of this attitude of entitlement displayed by service personnel. Guess what, you're not curing cancer, folks. You moving a plate of food from the kitchen to the table. And you can't even seem to get that right some of the time. But damn all of those to hell who don't fork over giant sums of their hard earned money just for the pleasure of having been in the same restaurant with that server. [Roll Eyes]

Of course, to compliment that attitude is the very common occurence of listening to a friend, or friend of a friend, who works as a waiter/bartender/whatever brag about how "on a good night I take home $400...and I don't even have to report it for taxes"*

Well, pardon me if I don't weep for all the service workers of the world. If you don't like the work you can always go dig ditches for a living.

Want a tip? Provide service.
Want a good tip? Provide better service.

*based on an actual statement made by a bartender friend of mine

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
can someone explain 'tipping out'? i've read about it on a couple of threads but i'm not sure i understand it.
Tipping out means sharing the tip given with other staff. In most (espescially "mid level") retaurants, the customer leaves one tip- 15%, 18%, 20%, whatever. The server might give a few percent to the bartender, maybe the hostess and busboy. In high end places, customers might separately tip the sommelier, Maire D', etc., but like I said in most places it is one tip.

If the tip-out is a percentage of the bill- say 5%, the result is that even if the customer leaves 18%, the server maybe keeps 13%. The problem for the server comes if the customer leaves only 10%, the server is left with only 5%. (All percentages are of the bill, not of the tip.)

(Editted to add original question.)

Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course it's the server's job to clean up.

But doubly so, it is the parents' job to keep the little darlings from trashing the place.

I'm not saying this poster believes you should let children destroy things- but there ARE (insert expletive of choice here) people who believe that since people are paid to work in establishments be they restaurant or retail, that they should be able to leave the place in a state resembling a tornado zone.

Sadly, it IS the right to demand that servers earn (note I say earn) money from patrons for doing their job. "I'm sorry you don't get a decent wage" doesn't cut it. In states where there is tip wage (ie half of minimum wage) when people don't tip, the employees don't eat. Period. Should someone be punished because the law provides them, and only them, only two dollars and change an hour? Would it be better for them to remain unemployed? This smacks of elitism, that somehow people who have to take lower paying employment just need to get off their asses and find something better.

It's also very simplistic to say "If you are a good server, you get good tips". Its assuming that if someone has a poor money day they automatically brought it on themselves, which just isn't the case. There can be a lot of factors which influence how much someone gets in tips, including the type of clientele, how things happen to be running in the kitchen that day, and how sexist the customers are. I kid you not. The cute blonde girl with the big rack often makes a lot more than the mom working the tables next to her, no matter how exemplary the service given.

This all isn't to say that if a server gives absolutely shyte service they don't deserve what comes to them, and this email was out of line on 99% of the issues. I DO find though, that many people who start as a server actually enjoy people and like the interaction or they would take a kitchen job or somesuch- its months of people who take out their day's frustrations on the hapless waitstaff that eventually make them embittered. YMMV.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Megan's Mom:
Just a few thought on servers who say you have to tip because they are making less than minimum wage...

If you can't make a living getting tipped poorly, then maybe you are in the wrong job. Not getting tipped should be a big hint that you stink as a server and need to do something else to make money.

The amount you get paid, whether it's from salary or tips or both, should be comensurate with the work you perform. If you're not getting tips as a server, move on, do something else, try landscaping or babysitting or ushering at a movie theater, whatever. Just don't tell me I have to pay you to do your job badly, not going to happen. Find a job you can perform well and we will all be much happier.

Yes, I quite agree.

I would also say that spewing venom at customers either in real life or via email forwards isn't going to improve their tipping.

I tip very well for good service, and poorly for bad service. You can accept this or complain, but quite honestly I don't think the complaining works in your favor with customers that are trying to be fair.

With all the talks of a fair wage in lieu of tips, I do not think the average server would prefer to be given a raise to a comparitively fair wage in lieu of tips. Almost everyone I know who works for tips sees it as a way to make more money than they would otherwise in a comperable service job.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ETA: Oh, and I would never refuse to give crackers to children. I always gave them when requested, just like I always gave my best service to even the rudest of customers. Some people noticed and tipped well as a result. Many didn't.
I should have added, that when given even adequate service I always tip at least 15%. I was a waitress for a short time(a very bad one, I might add), so I have some sympathy for those who do the work. But I have to say, the best way for a server to get me to tip over the 15% was for them to be especially nice to my child(now it would be my grandchild), and to let me have a friggin' package of crackers to help keep him happy. You, of course, would have probably gotten 20% or more. [Smile]

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wanderwoman:
quote:
Many years ago I took my toddler(now 24 years old)to a local restaurant. I asked for crackers for him and was told they did not give crackers to children, though they did not explain why.

I didn't tip, never set foot in that restaurant again and always gave it a bad review to other people, though I didn't tell the management why and probably should have.

Yes, you should have told them why. You don't accomplish a thing by merely withholding your tip and not going back. Nothing is going to change if you don't express the reason for your dissatisfaction.

Thank the lord, I will never have to clean up after another toddler who's made cracker meal in my section again. I am shocked at the number of parents who will let their kids pound the ever-loving crap out of a packet of crackers and sling it all over the place.

I came up with a solution years ago that no parent ever turned down. When I'd get a little kid seated in my section, I'd go get a plate and raid the salad station: carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucubmer slices, a hunk of green bell pepper. The kids could gnaw on that to their heart's content and no mess for me.

I'm not getting sucked into another tipping thread, but jessbo, tipping out is when the waiter gives a portion of his tips to the people who helped him. Bartenders tip out the barbacks who wash the dishes. Waiters tip out the busboy, dishwasher, bartender, and hostess.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I should have added, that when given even adequate service I always tip at least 15%. I was a waitress for a short time(a very bad one, I might add), so I have some sympathy for those who do the work. But I have to say, the best way for a server to get me to tip over the 15% was for them to be especially nice to my child(now it would be my grandchild), and to let me have a friggin' package of crackers to help keep him happy. You, of course, would have probably gotten 20% or more. [Smile]
If you give the hungry child crackers, the hungry child will be quieter and less cranky. Everybody wins: the server, the parent/guardian, the child, the other customers. For the price of a pack of crackers. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

If you really are out of crackers, give the kid a piece of bread or something.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Yes, take care of the children, and I'll take care of you. When I had small kids the best servers always made sure to get the kids their food first, or at the very least at the same time as everyone else. Feeding the kids last, and I've see it done, is a very bad idea.

Regarding tipping out. Back when I worked in restraunts it was entirely at the descretion of the server how much they tipped out. Is that actually mandated by restraunts these days?

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But...according to everyone I know who has waited tables, back when they were lowly students or such (which would be all of my friends, myself, and my son) the idea that if you give good service you WILL be rewarded appropriately and therefore making poor tips is always your own fault is, sadly, rather more optimistic than reality proves out. It just doesn't work that way.

There are LOTS of asshats who DO get excellent service, or crappy service, or medium service, but who simply don't tip. Ever. You could wash their CAR while they were waiting and not a dime. Not to pick on any group, but NO waitperson likes to see a huge group of the loud and rowdy variety of teenagers come in because they KNOW they will run their butts off for an hour and a have and no matter how hard you try to promptly see to all the requests, you will get stiffed on the tip. (there are, of course, also lovely and well brought up teens who are polite and have been instructed as to how to tip)

If there is anyone who has ever waited tables who would argue with me that in fact, good service is an reasonably ironclad guarentee of commensurate tip, I'd like to know where they worked, cause it sounds like a much nicer place than Chili's. Chilis, to my surprise, did away with the mandatory 15 percent added to all tables of five or more policy that most restarants follow.

I'm not saying the OP wasn't a bit snippish - but having been there, I can relate. Some of the complaints are valid, some are a bit more farfetched, but do people stiff a good waitperson for no reason other than they are a cheapskate? Is there anyone claiming otherwise? Clearly a great waitperson will do better than a dullard, but...it still happens. Also, it really and truly isn't their fault if the cook is an incompetent jerk and won't get the food out on time. I'm all for calling the manager and letting them know there is an issue but I don't blame the wait staff for that over which they have no control, and I doubt anyone here would either, but those type of people do exist.

And I always tip 20 percent unless I've been treated with outright rudeness. Cause I'm a big softie that way.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Regarding tipping out. Back when I worked in restraunts it was entirely at the descretion of the server how much they tipped out. Is that actually mandated by restraunts these days? [/QB]

Yep. In particular the large corporate owned ones.

And I agree, it's not terribly bright to make kids sit there without food for too long.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

quote:
Yes, you should have told them why. You don't accomplish a thing by merely withholding your tip and not going back. Nothing is going to change if you don't express the reason for your dissatisfaction.
The hard truth for a business owner is that most unhappy people will do what I did, and vote with their feet. I expressed my displeasure to the server when it happened, and she kind of shrugged and said it was their policy. Though I probably should have complained higher, I wasn't eager to make a scene ("Did you see that woman in booth 6 complaining to the manager over a packet of crackers?") and it wasn't that important to me that the restaurant change. They had plenty of competitors, and I was angry enough not to want to go there again. The restaurant is gone now, and I still have plenty of other places to eat and spend my money. It just isn't as important an issue to the customer as it is to the restaurant owners and employees, whether they realize it or not.

ETA: I forgot to say that I love your solution to the issue! I would have been torn over whether to spend my money buying food, or just give it all to you as a tip out of sheer gratitude! [Smile]

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
But...according to everyone I know who has waited tables, back when they were lowly students or such (which would be all of my friends, myself, and my son) the idea that if you give good service you WILL be rewarded appropriately and therefore making poor tips is always your own fault is, sadly, rather more optimistic than reality proves out. It just doesn't work that way....

Are you saying there is little or no coorelation between service and tips?

--------------------

bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Megan's Mom:

Yes, I quite agree.

I would also say that spewing venom at customers either in real life or via email forwards isn't going to improve their tipping.

I tip very well for good service, and poorly for bad service. You can accept this or complain, but quite honestly I don't think the complaining works in your favor with customers that are trying to be fair.

If you're doing this - tipping well for good service, tipping poorly for bad service - I don't think this email was directed at you. There are some people who don't follow this - they tip poorly or not at al, regardless of how the service was.

I think that's who the author, no matter how poorly, was trying to reach.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Waitress waffles

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Nope. Never said that at all. I'm just saying that if someone stiffs a good waitperson, nothing bad will happen to that particular person, so a natural cheapskate can, will, and does, do exactly that all the time. Are you saying that it never happens that a good server gets stiffed?

--------------------

snapdragonfly

quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:

[/qb]

If you're doing this - tipping well for good service, tipping poorly for bad service - I don't think this email was directed at you. There are some people who don't follow this - they tip poorly or not at al, regardless of how the service was.

I think that's who the author, no matter how poorly, was trying to reach. [/QB][/QUOTE]

that's how I read it too.

--------------------

Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Gayle's Book of Acquired Knowledge:
I don't care if you're sweeping streets, if you don't take a little pride in what you're doing because YOU are doing it, you're not going to be happy in any position. Dog Catcher or CEO. The idea that you're allowed to be a pain in the ass because you work in the service industry or some other low paying job is a disservice mainly to yourself. Not to mention to those who have to put up with your crap-hat attitude.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

but...every person in every industry has their little inside "ain't it awful" complaints. This person chose to share it with the outside world, which may or may not have been productive, but still...

even people who love their jobs have to blow off steam about the bad parts.

You should hear what decorative painters say about some customers. No, on second hand, you shouldn't. Heh.

--------------------

foxbitca
Mashed Potato Time

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxbitca     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:

Thank you. I think I tried to get at this the last time the dreaded tipping discussion came up, but my brain wasn't working that day and I just ended up making people grumpy.

I really don't know where the OP came up with this arbitrary extra money scale, and I think servers who have these sorts of ideas (not that I ever met any) in their heads are probably the ones who make so many people get twisty knickers about the waitstaff's perceived sense of entitlement.

ETF misplaced modifiers.

--------------------
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. --Mitch Hedberg

Posts: 37 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good point snapdragonfly!

The OP is silly.The job can be harsh but you can't expect customers to rain money on you because you're having a bad day.You're the one on the clock making sure the customer is happy,not the other way around.

I worked many customer service jobs so I can understand how frustrating it can be,but it's part of the job wether you like it or not.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

the problem that a waitperson has, that he has no control over as long as he stays in that job, is that being fairly rewarded for the effort put forth is something that is completely dependent upon the capriciousness of the character of the customer. There are lots of really nice folks out there and then there are some people who are, frankly, jerks. It's frustrating. Frustration is caused by inability to change something. In this instance, the only thing you can change, is where you work, which actually most waitpeople do as soon as they can. Wonder why.

Now I consider myself lucky. There are certain business...policies, that experience and hobnobbing with my fellow wizards, have taught me, which provide rather an effective screen for those clients who...well, for those clients. So I don't HAVE to deal with certain issues that tend to make my eyes get that little twitch in them, most of the time.

But I still gather in certain dim smoky rooms to mock them with others of my kind. MUhahaha. Or rather I would if we did that sort of thing. We don't, of course.

--------------------

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All jobs are frustrating, and few if any jobs rewarerd one for everything they do right. On the whole a server who does well, will be rewarded well. One who does poorly will see little reward. Sometimes servers get more than they deserve, sometimes they get less.

--------------------

jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
just to clarify my last post- obviously i don't mean that you should let your children throw food around and just ignore it. but if something gets spilled, over here it's the waitresses' job to clean it up. am i right in thinking the bussboy cleans up over there? cos we don't have them here. so yeah, i'm not going to pay more in england for a wiatress to do her job.

quote:
Originally posted by Spamamander with cheese on rye:

Sadly, it IS the right to demand that servers earn (note I say earn) money from patrons for doing their job. "I'm sorry you don't get a decent wage" doesn't cut it. In states where there is tip wage (ie half of minimum wage) when people don't tip, the employees don't eat. Period. Should someone be punished because the law provides them, and only them, only two dollars and change an hour?

they shouldn't be punished, but equally i shoulnd't be forced to pay their wages. it's not my fault that get get paid a pittance. i do normally tip (unless i get bad service), but i don't like the attitude that i have to give a tip, no matter what kind of service i get, because they don't earn enough.

quote:

Would it be better for them to remain unemployed? This smacks of elitism, that somehow people who have to take lower paying employment just need to get off their asses and find something better.

i'm not saying that. but they shouldn't demand tips because they're poorly paid. in the op 'i get a pittance' seems to result in 'so i can treat customers however i want they [B]have[/B to tip me'

i don't care how much you get paid, if you're a crap waitress then i'm not tipping.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

quote:
All jobs are frustrating, and few if any jobs rewarerd one for everything they do right. On the whole a server who does well, will be rewarded well. One who does poorly will see little reward. Sometimes servers get more than they deserve, sometimes they get less.

hmmm.

What about a salesperson on commission? Assuming the pay strategy is on the level, that salesperson WILL be rewarded, with a commission, every time he or she properly closes a sale, regardless of whether the customer is a skinflint or just in a snippy mood that day. There are still aggravations, but the financial reward is NOT contingent upon the generosity of the customer. Which waiting tables IS. Yes, all jobs have a lot of things in common but being paid at the discretion of the customer is one thing that all jobs do NOT have in common.

When I get work, I get every dime I told them it would cost, regardless of the mood they are in. I never have anything but rave reviews about the quality of my work, obviously, haha, and if I didn't do well I would not get repeat work, but I don't stand around smiling hopefully at the end of a job well done and just HOPE the customer is decent enough to pay me. That is the difference.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages