snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » Illegal Immigrant poem (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Illegal Immigrant poem
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 216 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cross ocean,
poor and broke,
Take bus,
see employment folk.

Nice man treat me
good in there,
Say I need to
see welfare.

Welfare say,
"You come no more,
We send cash
right to your door."

Welfare checks,
they make you wealthy,
Medicaid it keep
you healthy!

By and by,
I got plenty money,
Thanks to you,
American dummy.

Write to friends
in motherland,
Tell them 'come
fast as you can.'

They come in turbans
and Ford trucks,
I buy big house
with welfare bucks

They come here,
we live together,
More welfare checks,
it gets better!

Fourteen families,
they moving in,
But neighbor's patience
wearing thin.

Finally, white guy
moves away,
Now I buy his house,
and then I say,

"Find more aliens
for house to rent."
And in the yard
I put a tent.

Send for family
they just trash,
But they, too,
draw the welfare cash!

Everything is
very good,
And soon we
own the neighborhood.

We have hobby
it's called breeding,
Welfare pay
for baby feeding.

Kids need dentist?
Wife need pills?
We get free!
We got no bills!

American crazy!
He pay all year,
To keep welfare
running here.

We think America
darn good place!
Too darn good for
the white man race.

If they no like us,
they can scram,
Got lots of room in
Pakistan.

SEND THIS TO
EVERY AMERICAN
TAXPAYER YOU KNOW

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paul Ortego
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Ortego   E-mail Paul Ortego   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm... I might be wrong, but I think they might be mixing up "Getting welfare" and "winning the lottery"

I'm not a fan of illegal immigration, but geez... Do the people who write this stuff realize their ancestors were immigrants? No one except for Amercian Indians really have a huge argument against immigrantion... The might have a point with illegal immigration, but still.

Posts: 60 | From: Shreveport, LA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn, that was just ignorant.

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Immigrant-a-chow

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This must have been written by the Dr. Suess of bigots.

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gamixa
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gamixa   E-mail gamixa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That actually made me feel a little sick to my stomach.
Posts: 54 | From: New Orleans | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is could be a song by the racist version of Weird Al. I'm just trying to find the right tune.
(You could sing it to "Don't Worry, Be Happy", you'd just have to make up a refrain. Any ideas?)

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh man where are all the burrito & beaner references?

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How many Pakistanis enter America illegally?

As I said in the other thread, this sort of blatant recycling is just pitiful. But the kind of racists who would believe the sentiments in this doggerel wouldn't know any better.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like someone took a British "anti-Paki" piece of crap and tried to Americanize it.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I hadn't read that. I feel a bit sick.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
Sounds like someone took a British "anti-Paki" piece of crap and tried to Americanize it.

Yup - here are the American, Australian and British versions. Apparently an earlier version targeted West Indian immigrants to Britain and was sung to the tune of the "Banana Boat Song".

(Edited to fix link)

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SuperGoten
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperGoten   E-mail SuperGoten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is the most ignorant and moronic thing ever.
Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm, I didn't know the KKK dabbles in poetry.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Setzer
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Setzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Setzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They don't, 'cause this isn't poetry. Someone get Uncle Tom to shank these dumbasses.
Posts: 104 | From: Worden, Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wanderwoman:
This must have been written by the Dr. Suess of bigots.

Hey don't drag Dr. Seuss into this mess. Dr. Seuss is the man.

Oh wait, you were talking about Dr. Suess. That's entirely different.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dixie Chick
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dixie Chick   E-mail Dixie Chick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely puke-worthy.
Posts: 7 | From: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Resurrecting this thread to add this heartwarming story:

Tory suspended over racist e-mail

quote:
A Conservative parliamentary hopeful has been removed from the list of candidates and suspended from the party over the forwarding of a racist e-mail.

The Illegal Immigrants Poem, sent from Wiltshire town councillor Ellenor Bland's e-mail address, jokes in a mock foreign voice about welfare claims.

She says it was her husband that forwarded it, and that it was OK because he was being "light-hearted". At least, I think she's defending herself here - it's hard to tell:

quote:
Mrs Bland said: "It was forwarded on by my husband, who took it in the form that he thought it was sent and that was a light-hearted view, which, again, anybody broadly thinking would not have made anything out of it, as has been made to be at this present time."
"Anybody broadly thinking"? Was he broadly thinking? Even if it was her husband, then she appears to have condemned herself with these remarks as well.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 606 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:

Mrs Bland said: "It was forwarded on by my husband, who took it in the form that he thought it was sent and that was a light-hearted view, which, again, anybody broadly thinking would not have made anything out of it, as has been made to be at this present time."

Oh, it was light-hearted? Well, alrighty then, guess it's okay. Why didn't anyone tell me it was okay to be nasty, hateful and racist as long as it was "light-hearted"?

Ugh.

babyshoes

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The poem in the forwarded e-mail, which is sent on from Mrs Bland's account with the message 'Oh yes! Ellie', ends with a picture of the white cliffs of Dover and the words "piss off - we're full".
I can understand Mrs Bland's husband having access to her email account, but this would appear to imply that he forwarded the email on pretending to be her.

Now isn't that a strange thing for someone's husband to do?

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering when this *poem* (cough) would surface on here. Two of my friends are now not speaking after one forwarded this on a few months back (and I'm not really making an effort to speak to her now).

Why waste the effort even writing this bile? If you're so twisted up into a ball of spite over immigration policy perhaps actually doing some research on it may be a better use of time.

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But if you did research, then you couldn't write such "light-hearted" fare as this piece of literary vomit, because you'd realise how bloody stupid it is.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 108 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I missed this lovely poem previously. I wish I had missed it this time, too. Barf!

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
Oh man where are all the burrito & beaner references?

Carlos Mencia's cornered the market.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
I can understand Mrs Bland's husband having access to her email account, but this would appear to imply that he forwarded the email on pretending to be her.

I don't know - my parents tend not to pay much attention whose account they're logged into when they're emailing. Usually I get email from my mum using my dad's address, rather than the other way round, but I can see how it could happen.

Just sending an email from the wrong account is a bit different from forwarding an email that was addressed to somebody else, I suppose. But a "forward" isn't personal so I can still see him not noticing or not thinking much of it.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopes, could you please add something to the OP like "Warning . Do not read during or immediately after a meal".

Repulsive. Simply repulsive.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got sent this at work, via work email, a few years ago. By one of the chaps who sat on the email and internet misuse panel.

I replied to all and said "Stop sending out this disgusting racist filth", which cued a whole slew of similar responses and an afternoon of him tring to defend himself and claim he wasn't racist. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:

I don't know - my parents tend not to pay much attention whose account they're logged into when they're emailing. Usually I get email from my mum using my dad's address, rather than the other way round, but I can see how it could happen.

Oh, I can see how that could happen. But what about the accompanying text: "Oh yes! - Ellie"?

Why would he not sign it as himself?

Some more on the subject in today's Guardian.

'I have Asian friends' - Tory councillor defends racist poem

quote:
Mrs Bland said the email had been forwarded by her husband, David - also a Tory town councillor in Calne, Wiltshire - despite bearing her name.

But she claimed that the leak was "an infringement of my life", adding: "I'm finding this all rather tiresome.

"It's incredibly childish and churlish for anyone to make something big of this ... My husband and I are not racist."

She said it was fine if people brought skills or came to Britain because they were persecuted, but that she was worried "so many people are coming in and we don't have the infrastructure to provide for them all".

Asked why the poem singled out Pakistanis and turban-wearers and talked about the "white man race" if it was not racist, she added: "I didn't write it ... We do have friends of all kinds - we actually have German in-laws. And we have friends who are Asian. I wouldn't be rude to them."

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the "some of my best friends are Asian" line. Second only to, "I'm not racist, but..."

ETA: Also and not surprisingly, the author of the poem doesn't know the difference between Muslims and Sikhs.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara

quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
Ah, the "some of my best friends are Asian" line. Second only to, "I'm not racist, but..."

ETA: Also and not surprisingly, the author of the poem doesn't know the difference between Muslims and Sikhs.

I much prefer the "we have German in-laws" defence. I think it just seems quite surreal.

--------------------

Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Note she says she wouldn't be rude to the Asians who are her friends. The rest of them, I presume, can take a running jump.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara

Well, they're obviously the good Asians, who are nothing like all those other lazy good-for-nothing Asians who come over here and either a) take our jobs or b) don't take our jobs and bleed the state dry. It's a bleeding liberty, and no mistake.

Dara "Some of my best friends are racists" bhur gCara.

--------------------

Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:

I much prefer the "we have German in-laws" defence. I think it just seems quite surreal.
I have German in-laws. Does this mean I have a license to be a racist?

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

quote:
Oh, I can see how that could happen. But what about the accompanying text: "Oh yes! - Ellie"?

I didn't know about that detail until I read it on the front of The Guardian at lunchtime. I agree.*

I do feel a bit sorry for her. Being deselected by the party, fair enough. A front-page headline and photo on a national newspaper could be seen as a bit out-of-proportion, given that she's only a local councillor (or was, anyway). It's not like she's a cabinet member or anything.

She does seem to be wonderfully inept at damage limitation, though - perhaps that explains it...

*(edit) I mean, clearly I have more important things to do than to actually read your excessive two-line ramblings before I reply to them.

Dara bhur gCara

I don't know. Do you have any Asian friends that you would never be rude to? If the answer's "yes," then apparently you just can't be racist no matter what you say.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages