snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » Attractive Corpse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Attractive Corpse
Dac
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dac   E-mail Dac       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This site is heavily Photoshopped and (I think) obviously a hoax.

Attractive Corpse

Posts: 3 | From: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mathman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mathman   E-mail mathman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do you sell gift certificates?

We consider requests for gift certificates to be in poor taste.

I can't believe that this is a real service, so I don't feel bad laughing at this great line! [lol]
Posts: 34 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say hoax too, as I couldn't find any contact info. Not that I need their services or anything.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sir Weasel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Weasel         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Note that all services must be prepaid."

If not, talk about someone stiffing them for the bill . . . .

Posts: 48 | From: Lost in the ozone . . AGAIN!!!!! | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Typical joke site. Much like the Bonsai Kittens the telling clue is that despite a heavy promotion of the sites services no contact information or way to obtain said service is listed.

No company, no matter how "exclusive" they claim to be would go through the trouble of making a website for the purposing of selling a product or service and then make contacting them impossible

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it's quite obviously a joke. The inability to contact anyone associated with the site is a giveaway regardless of the actual service they offer. {ETA: Spanked by Joe Bentley!)
quote:
Because of a virtual storm of pranks and hateful communication received in the early days of our business, Attractive Corpse no longer publishes either an e-mail address or phone number. We do not have time for even sincere correspondence from those who think we are "cool," do not grant interviews, will not supply references (for reasons that should be obvious), will not discuss clients with those they left behind, and no longer give out free sample suicide notes.

As a consulting firm, we make our living by benefiting our clients and through advertising on this Web site. We are not in the business of critiquing amateur suicide plans, giving free advice on suicide methods, or helping in the creation of "scary" scenes for Halloween. There are plenty of other resources on the Internet for these things.

Attractive Corpse may only be contacted indirectly. Call your local suicide hotline (their number should be in the phone book) and, after you have convinced them of your sincerity, ask to be put in touch with us. They have our number, but will not give it out until you have been extensively screened.

I wonder how many suicide hotline staffers get prank phone calls from people wanting the number for Attractive Corpse.

I did enjoy their "special" rates though:
quote:
20% Discount for Double Suicides
Couples who wish to join Romeo and Juliet as martyrs of love may share Attractive Corpse services at a significant savings.

15% Advance Planning Discount
If you decide to end your life during our busy holiday season (the week before Thanksgiving through January 1), you will receive a discount if you reserve your desired date at least three weeks in advance.

Low Income Assistance
If your annual household income is less than 200% of the poverty level, you may be eligible for special pricing.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The domain is registered to a Dominick Cancilla who appears to be a horror writer. I'd say it's a publicity site for a book or upcoming book.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean it's not written by Dr. Jack Kevorkian? BOO!

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It would seem that Google has a morbid sense of humor as well.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just curious as to what exactly Dac thinks was photoshopped...

Everything on the site looked like regular, staged, photographs to me.

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dac

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dac   E-mail Dac       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone else think the photos look staged? I'd be very interested to know.

In my mind, "fake site" = "fake photos" so they may look false to my eyes just because of context.

Posts: 3 | From: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well (to me) they are obviously staged. I do not, however, link staged to photoshopped. To me, the term photoshopped means someone digitally manipulated a picture.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hense the term... Adobe Photoshop is the most common program used to manipulate images digitally.

These do not look manipulated.

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The bad thing about this site is that they state that contact with them is obtained by:

"Attractive Corpse may only be contacted indirectly. Call your local suicide hotline (their number should be in the phone book) and, after you have convinced them of your sincerity, ask to be put in touch with us. They have our number, but will not give it out until you have been extensively screened."

There is a risk that the suicide hotlines get clogged up by this and can't do their work properly.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KentuckyGhostHunter
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KentuckyGhostHunter   E-mail KentuckyGhostHunter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I looked at the source code for the index page and the designers are listed as http://www.pantsaflame.com/

They specialize, admittedly so, on designing "odd" websites.

After a brief perusal through their portfolio I'd say it's definitely either publicity or just for fun.

--------------------
"People demand freedom of speech to make up for freedom of thought, which they avoid."
--Kierkegaard

Posts: 303 | From: Ashland, KY | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Troberg said:
There is a risk that the suicide hotlines get clogged up by this and can't do their work properly.

If the suicide hotlines are "clogged" by people who want to contact the site so that they can commit suicide, that's hardly a bad thing, surely? I suppose some people may miss the point and just ring out of curiosity, but nobody with a brain. It's not like they give the number of a suicide hotline that may end up accidentally associated with them...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dac:
Does anyone else think the photos look staged? I'd be very interested to know.

Since the service the site (allegedly) offers is to stage your suicide, it's no surprise that the photos of the (alleged) customers look staged.

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well if you really feel like contacting this woman, you can find her email by looking in the source of the contact page.

--------------------
"To begin with take warning, I am surely far different from what you suppose;"
~Walt Whitman

Question everything . . .

Posts: 266 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mythophobia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mythophobia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anybody else notice that pantsaflame.com also made a Snopes spoof-site?
http://www.all-lies.com/ - your source for misinformation! XD

Posts: 49 | From: Denmark | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you sell gift certificates?
We consider requests for gift certificates to be in poor taste.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't believe that this is a real service, so I don't feel bad laughing at this great line!

I was just getting ready to post EXACTLY the same thing until I saw your line!

Man!

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I saw this thread title, I thought of this.

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I think this is another false site just showing off as a joke like bonzai kittens. It didn't happen but they love to show off.

I would seriously doubt that they are willing to make you beautiful, let you kill yourself or die from old age or illness, and take a photo shoot that can be sent to your family members of how you looked when you died.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mythophobia:

Those are brilliant - I just read their "barometer" page! (Standard version on ULRP...)
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
Originally posted by Mythophobia:

Those are brilliant - I just read their "barometer" page! (Standard version on ULRP...)
Now we know what snopes and Barbara are doing in their free time.
Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
Well I think this is another false site just showing off as a joke like bonzai kittens. It didn't happen but they love to show off.

I would seriously doubt that they are willing to make you beautiful, let you kill yourself or die from old age or illness, and take a photo shoot that can be sent to your family members of how you looked when you died.

I don't think that the joke is to make you beautiful, then let you die of suicide, old age, or illness. I don't think you really get the point. The joke is that they will help someone make their suicide as unmessy as possible, as simple as possible, but also beautiful. The joke does not include sending a photo shoot to family members. The joke include letting people themselves discover the body, with the least amount of clean up possible for the type of suicide.

--------------------

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another giveaway that it's a joke (or, quite likely, an art school project):

The title is a pun on the old surrealist art-school game Exquisite Corpse.

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by asnakeny:
Another giveaway that it's a joke (or, quite likely, an art school project):

The title is a pun on the old surrealist art-school game Exquisite Corpse.

Interesting link! I must say, however, that I tend to think the title is taken from the line often attributed to James Dean: "Live fast, die young, leave a beautiful corpse."

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The nursery rhyme "Sing a Song of Sixpence" originated as a coded message so that professional folklorists could identify one another.
link

I like the pirate explanation better. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Warhorses Pressurizing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warhorses Pressurizing   E-mail Warhorses Pressurizing   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely this link is appropriate....

http://www.all-lies.com/legends/sobstories/only17.shtml

--------------------
anz.com

Posts: 7 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dac

Just a little update -- the site is definitely Photoshopped, not staged. I found the original of one of the photos.
Squoval

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, okay. Hey, will you stay around here?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages