snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Inboxer Rebellion » How gullible are you? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: How gullible are you?
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My biggest issue with this quiz, aside from all the answers that are full of crap, is that most of these questions are really in the eye of the beholder. Yet, if you don't answer the way they want, you're guilty of being a mindless automaton.

Sounds like these people aren't upset by the lack of free thinking ... they're just upset they're not the one controlling your thoughts.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CultOfBob
It's Snow Joke

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CultOfBob     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just put false to everything without reading the questions and won the game. I got a PSP plus 6 games.

--------------------
-For Rent-

Posts: 37 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon Wench:
I only read the first explenation... "Not only does milk not cause weight loss, it contains pus, rocket fuel chemicals and actually promotes heart disease, asthma, constipation and various allergic reactions"... EXCUSE ME, PUS AND ROCKET FUEL!!! what kind of milk are these people drinking??? [Eek!] [Confused] [Eek!]

This is just a guess, but perhaps he was talking about perchlorate, which is a byproduct of rocket fuel, and which has been suspected of being in city water supplies. It's not unimaginable that it could be found in milk as well, although I personally have never heard of that.
Until now - link reports a dangerous level of perchlorate in milk from California.

(edited to add link)

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PattiJD:
This quiz prompted me to get off my duff and register with Snopes so that I could respond to it. I teach government at a community college, and I took exception to this statement:

|FALSE(the US is not a democracy)...A true Democracy (direct Democracy) would allow individuals to directly vote on legislation and do away with Senators and Congresspeople|

Um...we are a representative democracy, which means that we elect people to represent us. So yes, we are still a democracy, just a REPRESENTATIVE one. We had a lovely discussion in class about how messy a true direct democracy would be in a huge country like the USA. Maybe this guy oughta sign up for my basic government class.

FWIW, I got an 85 on the test, so this schmoe thinks I am a free thinker. Whoopee [Smile]

Patti

Actually, that's one of the few statements on that site I agree with. I'm not sure what link would be best to back that up but here's a quote from the CIA's website:

"Government type:
Constitution-based federal republic; strong democratic tradition"
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html

ETA: One of the most obvious signs that the US is a Republic, and not a Democracy, were the elections where the majority of voters would vote for a candidate, but the electoral college ended up selecting another canditate (2000 election).

Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The U.S. cancer industry simply doesn't want anyone to know cures exist because it profits from the management of cancer (i.e. dependence on drugs, chemo, radiation, etc.).
But the huge, powerful HMO and medical insurance industry would love to see a cancer cure so they could stop paying out for all those drug, chemo, and radiation treatments, not to mention the expensive surgeries and hospitalizations, because they profit from not paying for stuff.

When was the last time you saw a lobbyist with a business card identifying him as a rep for Cancer, Inc.?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anything that hasn't been scientifically proven isn't true.
This kind of question reminds me of the questions on the Japanese driving exam: Easy to miss or misinterpret the negatives. Unlike the driving exam, this one has the additional problem of being open-ended and therefore of dubious value on a true-false test. Was this covered on the "professors I hate" thread, teachers who put too many negatives and vaguely-worded questions on tests? (Well, it should have been.)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nearly every indigenous culture has at least one cure for cancer...
Duh. The cure is to cut it out! (Literally I mean.) Not that this always works but no cure always works.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
97% here. And the only one I didn't get "right" was the Vitamin E one, simply because it's not possible from the way the question is phrased to determine the bias of the questioner, so I guessed.

Any Snopester should be able to recognise what answer is desired from all the other questions and score perfectly (hint: the answer to the Vitamin E one is 'false', according to the page).

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissBethie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissBethie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a genuine brain chemistry disorder that must be treated with drugs to help children.
FALSE. This so-called disease is entirely fictitious and has no measurable physiological basis whatsoever. Hyperactivity in children is actually caused primarily by poor nutritional habits (consumption of refined sugars and food coloring) and can be easily corrected in less than two weeks by taking children off all refined carbohydrates and food additives. The ADHD "disease" was invented to sell drugs and boost the power of the highly corrupt psychiatric community, which increasingly "discovers" fictitious diseases and treats them with mind-altering narcotics. To learn more, visit the Citizens Commission on Human Rights.
---------------------------------------------------
This part about ADD sounds like the writer has been listening too much to Tom Cruise. Just over a week ago I graduated with a B. A. in behavioral studies/psychology and I know for a fact that ADD or ADHD does in fact exist. I think what the author was trying to get at was the fact that there are a lot of children out there who are falsly diagnosed as having this disorder when in reality they may just be a healthy, active child. There are a lot of problems in diagnosing a mental disorder in any case since it is usually a judgement call on the doctor's part. But that is also what a regular medical doctor does too, make a judgement based upon the symptoms that the patient is presenting at the time or experiencing and a diagnosis is them based off of that. And as with any doctor, if you don't approve or agree with whatever is diagnosed you can get a second opinion, or 3rd, 4th, and so on. Additionally, you do not have to take the particular treatment that is suggested by the doctor unless you want to anyway.

--------------------
"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?" --the Scarecrow

"The Christian Right is neither."

Posts: 72 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
MissBethie, is the Op talking about the Feingold diet there? As a person who had ADHD as a kid (and still a hyper soul - and proud of it too [Wink] ), I've been on said diet for all of a week. Yes, I said a week. Didn't do jack NFBSK to me - and it blew my parents' food bills sky-high, too.

Besides, scientific studies have shown that it doesn't work.

I'm beginning to wonder who's the more gullible, the general public or the people who write this NFBSK.

- Pseudo "what fools these nutjobs be" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
a mad scientist
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a mad scientist   E-mail a mad scientist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First post!

I don't trust any "quiz" whose results cite a scientology website as a source of fact *lol*

Posts: 4 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon Wench:
I only read the first explenation... "Not only does milk not cause weight loss, it contains pus, rocket fuel chemicals and actually promotes heart disease, asthma, constipation and various allergic reactions"... EXCUSE ME, PUS AND ROCKET FUEL!!! what kind of milk are these people drinking??? [Eek!] [Confused] [Eek!]

Funny, I work near Redstone Arsenal (where they test fire rockets) and they have dairy cattle grazing on the grass near the test stands... Maybe those folks were thinking of these cattle... [Wink]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by k3lli3b3th:
First post!

I don't trust any "quiz" whose results cite a scientology website as a source of fact *lol*

Welcome to the board, k3lli3b3th! Just out of curioisty, where in that site did it take a $cientology site as canon?

- Pseudo "loose canons" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
When was the last time you saw a lobbyist with a business card identifying him as a rep for Cancer, Inc.?

Last Tuesday, at my front door.

Worst sales pitch ever.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I scored in the free-thinker end, too. And yet one of my DS wrote "Mom" next to the word gullible in our dictionary. Maybe I should forward this to him... although at least I'm not gullible enough to believe what this guy's shoveling.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

The test doesn't start until you start reading the answers. If you believe them, you fail.
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
Cure for cancer: There probably is one - it just hasn't been found yet [Wink] . The "natural remedies" the guy mentions have all failed clinical studies AFAIK. A cure will come not out of nature but from out of technology - perhaps genetic engineering, perhaps nanotechnology, perhaps some other, hitherto unknown method.

There are many types of cancers. Some are curable, some are treatable. Some have no cure or treatment. Saying "there is no cure for cancer" is like saying "there are no blue cars." Some are blue, some are not.

quote:
In 1945, the U.S. dropped two atomic bombs on civilian populations in Japan in order to force Japan's surrender and "save a million lives."
Most absolutly true. The use of quotes implies that the question is asking for the stated reason. The taten reason was to "save a million lives." In order to argue that this is not the case, the quotes would need to be removed.

quote:
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a genuine brain chemistry disorder that must be treated with drugs to help children.
FALSE. This so-called disease is entirely fictitious and has no measurable physiological basis whatsoever. Hyperactivity in children is actually caused primarily by poor nutritional habits (consumption of refined sugars and food coloring) and can yada yada yada, blah blah blah. bull$h!t.

I can confirm that it is an actual condition. I also hold the opinion that it is not as prevalant as it seems, alot of who supposedly have ADD simply need more discipline at home. The problem is that it is easier to drug the kid than to solve the problem.

A friend of mine has a daughter who was diagnosed as ADHD. After about three years of medication and frustration it was discovered that the reason that she didn't respond to spoken directions had nothing to do with being unable to concentrate, but because there was significant hearing loss. She didn't pay attention in class because she couldn't hear and didn't stop misbehavior when yelled at because she didn't hear you yelling at her (she could hear that you were speaking, but was unable to understand). If they had detected it three years ago, her hearing might have been savable, now the diagnosis is that she will be stone deaf by adulthood.
I have seen a number of cases where the cause of the behavior was something other than ADD, but it was easier on the school and the therapists to label the kid ADD and perscribe Ritalin.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ASL
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As much as we all hate personal anecdotes:
quote:
The U.S. is the most technologically advanced nation in the world.
FALSE. Japan, Korea... blah blah blah on and on

Alright, how the hell he got KOREA is beyond me (incidentally, did he mean North or South? I assume he meant South). SOUTH Korea may have a relatively fast growing economy, but it is far from being more technologically advanced than the US. I mean Christ... I can't even begin to explain. Just this once, take my word for it. Please. I just get dumber thinking about it.

As for Japan... I'm not nearly as impressed with Japanese technology as I thought I would be. I mean, some of their toilet seats are heated, but...

I'd like to give a serious, scholarly response, but I already feel stupid for just taking the test. The first time I "took" the test I left everything blank in the hopes it was some sort of cheap joke, along the lines of "Congratulations, you truly are a free-thinker. Obviously no true/false 50 question (or less?) test posted on the internet could accurately gauge your ability to 'think freely.'" No such luck... So frustrated...

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

quote:
Originally posted by ASL:
As for Japan... I'm not nearly as impressed with Japanese technology as I thought I would be. I mean, some of their toilet seats are heated, but...

Like many of the other "true/false" questions on the "test", it depends how you measure it. The US doesn't have a lot of engineers but it does have some of the best in the world. The US doesn't have the best science in the schools but it has the best research in most fields. The US has the best healthcare -- for those who can afford it.

I suppose the sentiment of the question is okay.

Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a 79- 79 on what is obviously a highly biased test-

Vitamin E, in large doses, can be dangerous- certain common food additives can also be dangerous in high doses, but not low doses-

I think this so called test was written by someone who is not a free thinker- he is in fact very, very stuck in his way of thinking- which is "be suspicious of everything, and don't trust the government or big business no matter what."

I was hoping for a much simpler gulloibity test. Every once in a while I ask a friend "Do you have 2 twenties for a ten?" So far it has never worked.

Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The standard "test" is to tell someone, "Did you know that the word 'gullible' is not in the dictionary?"

--------------------

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
The standard "test" is to tell someone, "Did you know that the word 'gullible' is not in the dictionary?"

That was pointed out on the first page of the thread.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gezal
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gezal   E-mail Gezal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, if you answer all the questions in the way that this person thinks you should then you are a "free thinker."

I saw a site where they want you so sing a "pledge of independence".

Steve Martin did a routine back when he did stand-up where he said; "Repeat after me: I promise to be different --"

"I promise to be unique --"

"I promise not to repeat what other people say"

Posts: 30 | From: Missoula, Montana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not gullible enough to take an internet gullibility test.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

quote:
Originally posted by chillas:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:

That was pointed out on the first page of the thread.
Oops, somehow missed that one. Boy, am I gullible...

ETA: and I can't spell either...

--------------------

DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still stuck trying to work out how exactly to prove a surgical procedure is 'safe and effective' without actually doing it.

Hamsters with heart bypasses?

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DevilBunny:
I'm still stuck trying to work out how exactly to prove a surgical procedure is 'safe and effective' without actually doing it.

Hamsters with heart bypasses?

Oh, that is easy. Just do a computer model first...

--------------------

LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
FALSE. This so-called disease is entirely fictitious and has no measurable physiological basis whatsoever. Hyperactivity in children is actually caused primarily by poor nutritional habits (consumption of refined sugars and food coloring) and can be easily corrected in less than two weeks by taking children off all refined carbohydrates and food additives. The ADHD "disease" was invented to sell drugs and boost the power of the highly corrupt psychiatric community, which increasingly "discovers" fictitious diseases and treats them with mind-altering narcotics. To learn more, visit the Citizens Commission on Human Rights.

My brother has ADHD. I have ADHD. Bullshit does not even begin to describe this guy's opinion. I don't eat refined sugar. Nor am I a child. I never "outgrew it" and I still have severe difficulty concentrating. Nor is ADHD a "disease". It is a disorder. I have never taken drugs for it in my life (because I'm not so keen on the side effects). My brother has, and does. Guess who can focus better? Him! And since when is Ritalin or Concerta a narcotic? i thought they were stimulants.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
Cure for cancer: There probably is one - it just hasn't been found yet [Wink] . The "natural remedies" the guy mentions have all failed clinical studies AFAIK. A cure will come not out of nature but from out of technology - perhaps genetic engineering, perhaps nanotechnology, perhaps some other, hitherto unknown method.

There are many types of cancers. Some are curable, some are treatable. Some have no cure or treatment. Saying "there is no cure for cancer" is like saying "there are no blue cars." Some are blue, some are not.

Exactly so. Both my parents died of cancer - and I'm not going to ever believe that my Dad's lung cancer and my Mum's pancreatic cancer had exactly the same cause, or even similar ones. The idea of one cure for cancer is akin to the notion of one motive for murder.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Funkmistress
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Funkmistress   E-mail Funkmistress   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's hilarious that people are actually posting their scores for this thing. "Well, it's obvious that this guy is a nutjob with an agenda, but ... hey! I'm a free-thinker!"

After I got bored reading the the test, I checked out the actual website. Today's headlining article? An interview with Dr. David Bronner, maker of Dr. Bronner's Soap. While the good doctor spends plenty of time explaining why you should buy his products (long story short: Herbal Essence gives you cancer), the interviewer never stops to ask why Dr. Bronner products are covered with incoherent religious ramblings.

Posts: 223 | From: Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
19th Hole

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 19th Hole     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One more take on the Japanese surrender:

Military planners at the time looked at the Japanese resistance during the battle of Okinawa and estimated in excess of 1,000,000 American killed and wounded. An idea of how serious they took this can be deduced from the number of Purple Heart medals ordered in preparation for the "invasion". After Korea, Vietnam, Persian Gulf, Iraq and the numerous other ventures, we still have a massive surplus and no further Purple Hearts have been manufactured since WWII (source: DSC Times channel). Finally, the Japanese were told that only an unconditional surrender would be accepted. They attempted to negotiate conditions and the decision was made to use the bomb the force them to acquiesce. They still resisted and it took a couple of fire bombings to force the issue.

Posts: 3 | From: California City, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

quote:
Originally posted by 19th Hole:
... the number of Purple Heart medals ordered in preparation for the "invasion". After Korea, Vietnam, Persian Gulf, Iraq and the numerous other ventures, we still have a massive surplus and no further Purple Hearts have been manufactured since WWII (source: DSC Times channel).

Urg. Not this again. The Purple Hearts used now are not the ones ordered at the end of WWII. None of them have been used since VietNam.
http://www.purplehearts.net/id6.html
(The DSC Times channel, whatever that is, is wrong.)

senshisteph
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for senshisteph   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Milk doesn't help weight loss? Hmmm...

http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/content/full/12/4/582
http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/133/1/249S
http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/21/2/152S
http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/21/2/146S

shall I continue? Well no, I guess all these independent researchers must be in the pay of the Govt and the Milk Marketing board.

--------------------
七転び八起き
nana korobi ya oki
'fall down seven times, get up eight.'

Posts: 155 | From: Nagoya, Japan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[[/qb][/QUOTE]Urg. Not this again. The Purple Hearts used now are not the ones ordered at the end of WWII. None of them have been used since VietNam.
http://www.purplehearts.net/id6.html
(The DSC Times channel, whatever that is, is wrong.) [/QB][/QUOTE]

I believe the "DSC Times Channle" is the abriviation for "The Discovery Times Channle" Which is now "the military Channle" It changed names sometime last year.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jineline

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jineline   E-mail Jineline   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Silver fillings (actually "mercury fillings") generate mercury vapor in your mouth, which you repeatedly inhale or swallow. This puts mercury directly into your bloodstream where it causes birth defects (if you're pregnant) and nervous system disorders like Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
Mercury is alloyed with silver and other metals in an amalgam, and as long as it remains chemically bonded, will not have the toxic effects of elemental mercury. Vaporization of the mercury in any substantial amount would result in the filling breaking down within a very short time. As well, vaporization would only occur under conditions of high pressure and temperature.

http://www.ncahf.org/pp/amalgampp.html

quote:
People who watch television are not persuaded by television advertising.

Of course they are, and so what?

quote:
American history, as taught to American schoolchildren, is more a collection of lies and distortions than actual history. From Columbus to the Vietnam War, politically correct American history consistently paints Americans in a glorious light while ignoring shocking accounts of actual historical events. Read, "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn to learn real, uncensored American history.
I am lack the time or will to subject everything Zinn says to scrutiny, but I would like to mention that "A People's History" is a book without a single citation in it.

quote:
Many common grocery products (including yogurt, fruit drinks and candy) are colored with an ingredient called "carmine" that is actually made from insects: dead, ground up husks of female cochineal beetles.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/bugjuice.htm

quote:
The vast majority of the fluoride added to drinking water is fluorosilicic acid, a toxic byproduct of coal plants. This fluorosilicic acid is collected from pollution scrubbers inside coal plant smokestacks, filtered, liquefied, then sold to cities as fluoride treatment. It contains no naturally-occurring mineral fluoride whatsoever.
Fluoroscilicic acid is a byproduct of the prodution of phosphate fertilizers. It is only one source of fluoride addition, others being
sodium fluoride and sodium fluorosilicate. Mineral fluoride may be natural, but it certinately is not an extractible ore.

http://wonder.cdc.gov/wonder/prevguid/m0039178/m0039178.asp

--------------------
"Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect: it is shameful to surrender it too soon, or to the first comer." -George Santayana

"He who has laughter on his side has no need of proof." - Theodor Adorno

Posts: 43 | From: Montreal, QC | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages