snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Man Pours Gas Down Toilet, Causing Blast

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Man Pours Gas Down Toilet, Causing Blast
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 600 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you can't stand the heat, don't pour gasoline down the toilet. An apartment tenant made that $75,000 mistake.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20041007/D85IAVB81.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't this debunked on an episode of Myth Busters?

Although, on Myth Busters I don't think they actually flushed the flammables, they just left them in the bowl.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stick
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 84 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted the same thing yesterday and it was removed form the board for being both redundant and targeted to the wrong forums. [Frown]

--Stick

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stick, you might want to read the forum FAQ

Don't take it personally. It happens to us all at one time or another.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, how do you dispose of gasoline or kerosene if you can't pour it down the drain?

- Pseudo "it's a gas" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 303 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stick:
I posted the same thing yesterday and it was removed form the board for being both redundant and targeted to the wrong forums. [Frown]

--Stick

< hijack >Stick, you might want to post in this thread. Welcome back, by the way. < /hijack >
Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
So, how do you dispose of gasoline or kerosene if you can't pour it down the drain?

- Pseudo "it's a gas" Croat

Molotov cocktail?

Ro"fire in the hole"bigus

Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
super chicken

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Admiraldinty, destroyer of worlds:
Wasn't this debunked on an episode of Myth Busters?

Although, on Myth Busters I don't think they actually flushed the flammables, they just left them in the bowl.

You're right, they didn't flush them. Although an open flame predictably caused an impressive 'whoosh' of flame as it was dropped into the toilet. Fun episode, really. [Big Grin]
nckd

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's sourced from AP, but several things make me suspicious of this story:

+ No name of the person who destroyed the toilet.
+ No names for the officials.
+ No precise location, just a byline of Salt Lake City.
+ Sounds exactly like a well known UL.
+ I've seen the sorts of stories that come on the AP wire's wierd and amusing news section. (I forget exactly what they call it.) This sounds like something from that part of the service. ULs cast as news stories are not unusual there -- I remember seeing a variation of the "woman accidentally sprays glitter on her pubic area before going to the gynecologist" story once. I don't think those stories are so carefully reported as the rest of the wire.

Bonnie

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a more detailed version, then. I'm presuming that the Associated Press patterned its story after this report.

quote:
Gas poured down toilet causes $75,000 in damage

Michael N. Westley
The Salt Lake Tribune, Pg. B2
6 October 2004

A Salt Lake City apartment ended up with more than $75,000 in damage Tuesday after one of its occupants attempted to pour gasoline down the toilet, officials said.

The man noticed gasoline leaking from the tank of his car when he arrived at his townhome at 558 N. Redwood Road around 1 p.m. for lunch, said Salt Lake City Fire spokesman Scott Freitag.

The man captured the gas with a container used for do-it-yourself oil changes, Freitag said. Not wanting to pour the gas down the storm drain, he opted for a toilet inside his house.

As the man poured the gas into the toilet, the fumes were ignited by the pilot light of a water heater and caused a small explosion, Freitag said. The blast destroyed the porcelain toilet and the intense heat from the flames melted the remaining pieces. The man and three other people were able to get out of the home before the fire spread.

[...]

--------------------
Se non č vero, č ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Koshka
Deck the Malls

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Koshka         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The blast destroyed the porcelain toilet and the intense heat from the flames melted the remaining pieces.

[...]

How do you get enough heat to melt ceramics (which is what porcelain is) from gasolene?
Posts: 244 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 108 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Koshka:
quote:

The blast destroyed the porcelain toilet and the intense heat from the flames melted the remaining pieces.

[...]

How do you get enough heat to melt ceramics (which is what porcelain is) from gasolene?
I would assume they mean the toilet seat and lid, but it is sorta confusing the way it's written.
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages