snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » White lighters (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: White lighters
ranran yousei
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by put it in writing:
You're supposed to smoke the lucky last, and make a wish when you do.

I'm aware of the reason for the origin of the behavior for most people (it's where I learned it), but I never make a wish ("I wish this won't give me cancer"?), and I don't believe in luck, so I have no idea why I do it. It's more of a matter of tradition than anything.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cosmo
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cosmo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
just did a little survey of some coworkers of some cigarette customs -

if someone asks you for a square, you tap the bottom of a softpack and you give them the cig that is sticking out the farthest, it's unlucky and possibly rude to take that one for yourself.

if you pull a cigarette out of a newly opened pack and one falls out with it, that's the one you flip over and smoke last.

in my circle of friends when we would frequent the bars, if someone lit the wrong end (damn marlboro lights) then that person buys the next round. usually though if someone was lighting the wrong end, it was a good sign that they'd had enough to drink...

--------------------
"Look at the size of Tifa's breasts! They're destroying our childrens future!"

Posts: 92 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karama

I was also hoping this was about Charmed. Which brings the question... is it bad luck for a witch if her white lighter lights her cigarette? Is it worse if the white lighter uses a white lighter? Will that ever be a plot point in Charmed? (Hey, we've had mermaids, pirates, and even a magic school... I have learned to expect anything.)

Karama

Bookchick of the Novel Clan

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Bookchick of the Novel Clan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say Karama, if they could find a way to write it in....ha!

I also used to flip my lucky, but it makes you real mad if you light the wrong end and its your last pack at one in the morning.

Ahh...the good old days I haven't thought of that in years. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I'm not dumb...your dumb." Junior-Lonestar State of Mind

"It eats you, starting with your bottom." Andrew-BtVS

"Arise chicken, arise!" Billy Witch Doctor.com- AquaTeen Hunger Force

Posts: 138 | From: Gastonia, NC | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
M'eyari

quote:
Originally posted by mrs.hi-c:
Here's a cigarette superstition along the same turns...when my friends smoked in high school, for the longest time we would flip one cigarette out of a new pack upside down. This was deemed the "lucky". It was supposed to be the last cig out of the pack that was smoked, and if it wasn't it was bad luck. Of course, the bad luck usually was realizing that you lit the lucky from the filter end when you lit one up in the dark-- Especially while driving.

mrs.hi-smoking is bad"C

Yeah, that one's in my area, too (I'm in the Thumb, btw, and not too far from Saginaw). My husband's the first smoker I ever met who doesn't do that - but then again, our luck's been kind of rotten. Perhaps I should ask him to start doing that? (Would try to get him to quit, but we have an agreement that I don't ask him to quit and he doesn't subject me to the smoke, lol)

Never heard about the color of a lighter being bad luck, though I do remember the bit about yellow snow...

Belisarius

Save yourself the trouble. Use matches. Trees are disposable.
SydsMom

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GranolaSuicideSpawn:
[QB] I know for a fact white lighters are bad luck because I once dropped one at a friend's house and couldn't find it, then later we heard a loud pop and the dog began crying. Turned out the dog had found it and chewed on it until it exploded. (She was fine.)

Yikes! I'd never considered that happening. I smoke and am foster mom to one of the world's dumbest dogs - I'll have to be sure to keep them out of his reach!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages