snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » White lighters (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: White lighters
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have been hearing for years that white cigarette lighters
are bad luck. I work at a gas station, and if someone wants a lighter and
I hand them a white one, sometimes they won't even touch it. Could you
possibly find the origins, or even the rationale behind this rumor? I
haven't been able to find anyone who could adecuatly explain to me why
white lighters are supposed to be bad luck.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's an odd superstition. I usually reach for a purple lighter or one with a pretty pattern, not for "luck" but because I like purple and pretty pictures. So, if I was handed a white lighter, I'd decline.

It's rather pointless to try and avoid a white lighter because of bad luck, since most lighters (well, Bic lighters, at least), are white underneath (except the clear ones) if you peel off the colour or picture, so it's a white lighter no matter what anyway.

(EDIT: Whereas in the past I've had coloured lighters in the past that I could peel the colour off of, and I mean solid non-patterned colours, I just realized that my current lighter is molded plastic and the colour isn't a decal. So, not all are white underneath, not even my current Bic. [Frown] )

Anyone else thought the title of this thread was about the angels in the TV show 'Charmed'?

ranran "flickin my bic" yousei

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard that supersitition before but I would also decline a white lighter. All my disposable lighters are red. I have a small child in the home so and for some strange (non-luck/supernatural based) reason I like having red lighters. First, since I hate the colour red, they stand out and I can imediately see if I left one laying around. Its just easier if they always look about the same, then I know what to keep my eye out for. Also the kid understands that red often means "stop" or "danger" and he knows he is not supposed to touch lighters.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiriusSnape
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiriusSnape   E-mail SiriusSnape   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I first heard about this last semester during a break between classes. Some guy in our class needed a light and my sister in law handed him her lighter but he wouldn't take it because it was white. He then proceeded to tell us that he knew a guy who used a white lighter and got in three car accidents in a week. I asked around and apparently its a pretty popular UL here. Some people carry white lighters and grin while lighting a cigarette saying ... "I like to live dangerously", though I would wager the cigarette is more harmful than a white lighter would be. Heh.

--------------------
All fiction is cultural history.
All history is cultural fiction.

Posts: 292 | From: Greenville, North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ranran yousei:
Anyone else thought the title of this thread was about the angels in the TV show 'Charmed'?

That's exactly what I though!

Love that Leo.

Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also thought it was about "Charmed"!

I love that show. [Smile]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm... I've never heard this before, but I know that more often than not I possess a white lighter. And my luck is impeccibly bad. Coinsidence?

In fact, most lighters with the pattern are a sticker. If you peel the sticker away, you will find a white lighter. Conspiracy?

Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Add another to the list that thought this was going to be something about "Charmed"

Never heard the white lighter myth, though. Strange too, considering the number of smokers that I work with.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Odd. When you first mentioned white lighters being considered bad luck, the first thing I thought of was, "Well, maybe they think sunlight and heat can seep through it more than a colored/pattern lighter, and will spontaniously explode or something." But no one seems to view it that way. Consider me puzzled, this is the first time of heard of this.

Trish "I use the cheap lighters my brother gives me for Christmas" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jinxie
The First USA Noel

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Jinxie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^^ orbing smilie

I was really excited. I was hoping for news of what really happened to Chris. *sniff sniff*.

I use white lighters quite often as I just get the cheap ones from town & country. Maybe I'll switch to colors. Ha ha yeah right.

Chappell"mmmm Nick Lachey"78

--------------------
Go Jimmie Go! This is your year!

Posts: 676 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RiotGirlHeather
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 208 posted      Profile for RiotGirlHeather   Author's Homepage   E-mail RiotGirlHeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Slainey:
quote:
Originally posted by ranran yousei:

That's exactly what I though!

Love that Leo.

Me too, kinda dissappointing to see that it's about actual lighters...

--------------------
Luke: I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you.
Princess Leia: You're who?

Posts: 560 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cosmo
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cosmo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard this about white lighters, but I remember in High School it was commonly believed that if you saw three white cameros in one day, you'd get laid that night. sheesh.

--------------------
"Look at the size of Tifa's breasts! They're destroying our childrens future!"

Posts: 92 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Though this could explain why bad things keep happening to him.
Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was going to be a relgion rant about modern day witches who consider themselves "white lighters" or the whole, "good" magic schpeal.

As for the color of a lighter being bad luck, it's the first time I have heard about it, and I've hung around a lot of superstitious smokers here in WA state, USA.

Since we're on the subject of lighter superstitions, I knew punks who would take the metal heads of lighters and squeeze them onto the sides of their jackets. I never knew what that ment, if anything.

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cosmo
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cosmo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by resEggLution:

Since we're on the subject of lighter superstitions, I knew punks who would take the metal heads of lighters and squeeze them onto the sides of their jackets. I never knew what that ment, if anything.

Heh, I did that too. I don't think it really meant anything other than just decoration. The more badges, spikes, whatever you had on your leather jacket, the better I suppose.

--------------------
"Look at the size of Tifa's breasts! They're destroying our childrens future!"

Posts: 92 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've known a couple of guys in the Army who always used pink lighters. The idea was that no man would steal a pink lighter...

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-V:
I've known a couple of guys in the Army who always used pink lighters. The idea was that no man would steal a pink lighter...

Hey...it worked. I was one of those guys with a pink lighter. It didn't work on "In the Butt Bob" though...he collected stolen lighters...had a huge bacardi bottle full of them. But the pink lighters were safe from anyone else.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by resEggLution:
I thought it was going to be a relgion rant about modern day witches who consider themselves "white lighters" or the whole, "good" magic schpeal.

I thought the very same thing. Major bummer to find out it was about things I light cigarettes with. [Big Grin] (also funny because the one I'm using right this minute is white *grin*)

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A Google seach on this turns up all sorts of anecdotes. It seems to be a prevalent superstition among those who smoke, um, things that aren't tobacco. The "bad luck" is that white lighters will cause you to get busted. Sample quote "I'd get rid of that lighter if I were you. White lighters are bad luck and a lot of people end up having encounters with the police when they have one in their posession. It's just a superstition, but we need all the luck we can get when it comes to the cops."

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
festus

It's kind of like in seventh grade when no one would sit in a yellow chair. Am I the only one who remembers this?
Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We didn't have the thing about Yellow chairs, But i do vaguely remember something about yellow snow...

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD

Well this thread has altered my life. I needed to buy a lighter today and I reached past the white one to grab a black one.

Don't want any bad luck now.

Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ohh you didn't get a BLACK one did you???

That's like TEN TIMES WORSE MAN!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bookchick of the Novel Clan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bookchick of the Novel Clan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am new to this and when I saw this topic I also assumed "Charmed"...but this might be because I have a white lighter and for fun and identification ( lighter theives ) I wrote "LEO" on it in black marker.

--------------------
"I'm not dumb...your dumb." Junior-Lonestar State of Mind

"It eats you, starting with your bottom." Andrew-BtVS

"Arise chicken, arise!" Billy Witch Doctor.com- AquaTeen Hunger Force

Posts: 138 | From: Gastonia, NC | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GranolaSuicideSpawn

I know for a fact white lighters are bad luck because I once dropped one at a friend's house and couldn't find it, then later we heard a loud pop and the dog began crying. Turned out the dog had found it and chewed on it until it exploded. (She was fine.)

Ok so even though it's a true story it obviously doesn't validate the legend and I still have no idea where the myth came from (hadn't heard it, actually) so, as you were.

ETA: Heh I think it's official...I'm invisible.

Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yet another reason to carry a Zippo... [Smile]

*flips his brushed brass #1 in the air, self-lights it, and walks out whistling*

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait, wait - around here, I've always heard that YELLOW lighters were the ones to avoid. I've never heard the white lighter thing, though.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei

No no, it's the yellow snow.....
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 217 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a cigarette superstition along the same turns...when my friends smoked in high school, for the longest time we would flip one cigarette out of a new pack upside down. This was deemed the "lucky". It was supposed to be the last cig out of the pack that was smoked, and if it wasn't it was bad luck. Of course, the bad luck usually was realizing that you lit the lucky from the filter end when you lit one up in the dark-- Especially while driving.

mrs.hi-smoking is bad"C

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD

quote:
Originally posted by mrs.hi-c:
Here's a cigarette superstition along the same turns...when my friends smoked in high school, for the longest time we would flip one cigarette out of a new pack upside down. This was deemed the "lucky". It was supposed to be the last cig out of the pack that was smoked, and if it wasn't it was bad luck. Of course, the bad luck usually was realizing that you lit the lucky from the filter end when you lit one up in the dark-- Especially while driving.

mrs.hi-smoking is bad"C

I remember that one from high school. Although I never did it, the flipped, "lucky", cigarette was supposed to have something to do with luck for getting lucky. At least around here that's what people said.
ranran yousei

Every pack, I flip one upsidedown, and I don't even really know why. It's saved for the last of the pack, but it's more of a tradition, rather than for luck. I suppose back in my "soft pack" days it was a challenge, since the likelihood of accidently grabbing that one, and lighting the wrong end is greater. Now it's just a holdover, with no real meaning.
BathTubAdventurer
A Rolling Stone Gathers No Kate Moss

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BathTubAdventurer   Author's Homepage   E-mail BathTubAdventurer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I worked for a tobacconist, I'd often run accross folks with an aversion to white lighters. This was in Burlington, VT, and the superstitious white-lighter-avoiders were usually college kids.

Damn. I shoulda done my thesis on *that* phenomenon.

BathTub "I will not buy this record, it is scratched" Adventurer

Posts: 37 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're supposed to smoke the lucky last, and make a wish when you do.

(Im not even a smoker and I've heard this stuff.)

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Marmite

what if you use an unlucky white lighter to light your lucky last cigarette?

Mar "I can't really smoke it, but it's comforting to hold it" Mite

mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marmite:
what if you use an unlucky white lighter to light your lucky last cigarette?

Mar "I can't really smoke it, but it's comforting to hold it" Mite

hmmm...good point...probably double bad luck if you light the lucky from the filter!

teeheee.... [fish]

mrs.hi-c

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages