snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » The Blue Hole in New Jersey

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Blue Hole in New Jersey
Mark
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this website about a pond in New Jersey called "The Blue Hole". There are rumors that it is ice cold in the summer, bottomless, and that it will suck you in if you try to swim in it. This seems like a funny urban legend so I thought I would post it on here to see if anyone has ever heard of it. Later,

Mark in Austin =)

http://www.weirdnj.com/_unexplained/legendsofthebluehole.html

http://atforumz.com/showthread.php?t=217241

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Mark, welcome to the board!

In the Weird NJ book (p. 43-45) it has some articles and letters about the Blue Hole. Some key points in those are:

*The bottom (if there is one) is made of some kind of sand, like quicksand.
*The hold was a picnic spot in the 1930s, until somehow a bridge was washed away in the 40s.
*It's 130ft across, and the temp averages 58f.

It is also the subject of a chapter of a book called Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey if you're that interested. I don't have it though.

Even though I love Weird NJ, I take some of it with a grain of salt. For example, in their book, it has a few pages on a road in my town where albinos supposely lived. I heard the rumors last year, when my mom was telling me about it, but she heard it in the early 90s. I go down that road a lot and never saw any albinos. Some of the stories say that the KKK and stuff like that go there. They have pictures of the road with body outlines. It looks interesting from the book. But what the book (published 2003) doesn't tell you is that Seabrook Village was built there in the late 90s/early 00s and the road is all paved and streetlights are put up.

The mag is a fun read, though.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abby 68
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a quck question dan. How come everything in Jersey is connected to the KKK or Satanists?

kita long time visitor to the garden state...... [Razz]

Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
kita, the Klan, in the early 1900s, had a following of 60,000 members in New Jersey alone, until after World War II, where a weaker Klan (today's Klan) became active in some NJ towns.

Also, I think many people believe KKK people are Satanists. I heard that's not true.

Another road I've been down, Whipporwill Valley Road is also said to have had KKK and the like there. Now I don't know if it has been true, but the Klan's was strong in Monmouth County (where the road is) so it could be possible. Last I heard, the road has been gated and changed its name.

Or maybe everyone that writes in Weird NJ should go to the looney bin. I'm surprised that the Blue Hole story doesn't have anything about the KKK. They say that about everything. [Razz]

Dark "Not a Klan member or a Satanist" Dan

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abby 68
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkDan:
kita, the Klan, in the early 1900s, had a following of 60,000 members in New Jersey alone, until after World War II, where a weaker Klan (today's Klan) became active in some NJ towns.

Also, I think many people believe KKK people are Satanists. I heard that's not true.

Dark "Not a Klan member or a Satanist" Dan

Ah that makes sense now. [Cool]
Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have one in Ohio too...

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/getAttraction.php3?tip_AttractionNo==983

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Candy Q. Is Already From A Book
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Don't you mean a black hole?"
"No, a blue hole. Black holes are too scary for us kids."

-Candy "10 points up for grabs" Q.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Legends say that water is as clear as glass and as cold as a tomb, even in the summer.
Have you ever lived in New England? The water's always nfbsking cold as a tomb in the summer! I presume whoever wrote this is used to living in more "tropical" climates, like, say, Florida.

As an example, when I went to a Florida beach for a swim, my first reaction was to be grossed out at how warm the water was. I felt like someone had permentantly peed in the ocean! (Bear in mind, I was 5 or so at the time I first discovered this...)

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages