snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Wax-on, Wax-off ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wax-on, Wax-off ...
spooky_rk
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I date myself .... no, I'm not going to say it.

Anyway, here's one for the medical/science types around the place. I just received this one, but don't know enough to be able to call it one way or another, or even where I would start looking.

Hi all,

This is very true. According to my friend's brother-in-law, who has an instant noodle factory in Malaysia, there is a lot of wax on all instant noodles, including cup noodles. He always advise everyone to discard the first boiling water of noodles (to remove the wax) and then cook the soup separately. In this way, we can minimise the amount of wax being consumed!!

Rgds,
----
(Name removed)

This is what I heard from a fellow collegue.

Her nephew, who was studying in UK for about one and a half years, likes to eat cup-a-noodle.
And guess what! His doctor has found that there is a layer of wax lining the walls of his stomach.
Seems that instant noodles that comes with foam containers contain an edible layer of wax.
However, regular consumptions make it hard for our livers to clear the toxic.

This person died when he went for an op to try to remove the layer.

My "gut" feeling on this one - given the number of people (students, bachelors etc, etc) who seem to subsist almost totally on instant noodles, I would think that if this were true, we'd have had an epidemic of cases like this guy.

Spooky

------------------
'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?'
Or am I just paranoid?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Watsondogg

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I understand, wax is a relatively common component of sweet snack foods. Seems we'd all have wax coating our innards -- if it actually coated our innards, instead of passing through just like most other things we eat.

Watson "and then there's apples" dogg

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wax is a fat of sorts. Your basic floor wax has all sorts of solvents added so I don't recommend chowing down on it, but there are a number of food grade waxes. Many fruits & veggies are coated with them--cucumbers & bill peppers (capsicums) being prime examples. The wax is pretty harmless but many people feel it changes the taste of the food. Coating ramen noodles with wax doesn't make sense; it would make the noodles harder to hydrate. Even if the wax somehow came from the packaging, it would still be in the manufacturer's interest to eliminate it to prevent consumer complaints about crunchy noodles. For centuries people have been chewing on honeycomb to get at the honey. How about the small amounts of wax you might ingest because you missed a piece on the cheddar cheese. Various kinds of paraffin (the waxy stuff that used to be used to seal jelly jars not the kerosene fuel) have been used as human & veterinary laxatives. The acids & enzymes in your stomach can break down waxes very nicely, thank you.

Nissin Foods, manufacturers of Top Ramen & Cup Noodles say their products contain "flour, water, salt, dough conditioner, and seasonings/spices." The dough conditioner is sodium carbonate. No wax.

Maybe your correspondents spent too much time in China biting tadpoles.

Kathy "using my noodle" B.

[edited because I was embarrassed by the number of typos]

------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
Mike Quear, US Congressional staffer

[This message has been edited by Kathy B (edited 10-10-2000).]

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
spooky_rk

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Maybe your correspondents spent too much time in China biting tadpoles.

*SNORT!*

Thanx Kathy, I knew I could count on you.

Spooky "waxing eloquent" RK

------------------
'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?'
Or am I just paranoid?

Ewok
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ewok   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if this might have been influenced by the very real problem of Noodles Preserved with Formaldehyde.

Here's another article.

------------------
"911 - Government-sponsored dial-a-prayer!"

[This message has been edited by Ewok (edited 10-09-2000).]

Posts: 1 | From: Los Gatos, CA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ewok
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ewok   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did someone send that to you, or do you just have too much time on your hands?

------------------
"911 - Government-sponsored dial-a-prayer!"

Posts: 1 | From: Los Gatos, CA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 22 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
do you just have too much time on your hands

Ha ha ha! Only if Gore withdrew from the race while I wasn't looking . . .

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages