snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » shampoo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: shampoo
noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this concerning advice about shampoo:

And Johnson's baby shampoo is no-more-tears because of the novacaine in it.

Is anyone near a bottle to read ingredients?

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BongoFury
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Mom makes me wash my hair with teatree shapmoo beause of head Lice. She says that Baaby Shampoo is for Babys so I am too old for it. I am sorry I do not have a bottle to looke at. Sorry.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
laocoon

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh. Ok.

Anyway, I went to Johnson & Johnson's site on the product and they attribute the "no tears" aspect to the fact that it lacks soap and alcohol, which makes sense.

Dunno how it cleans without soap, probably some other non-caustic miscelle formula or something.

Ingredients:

quote:

Water, Peg-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Cocamido-Propyl Betaine, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Glycerin, Lauroamphoglycinate, Peg-150 Distearate, Sodium Laureth-13 Carboxylate, Fragrance, Polyquaternium-10, Tetrasodium EDTA, Quaternium-15, Citric Acid, D&C Yellow No. 10, D&C Orange No. 4.

Could be wrong, but I would assume that novacaine is a controlled substance too, so I doubt it'd show up in OTC shampoo.

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the J&J web site
INGREDIENTS:
Water, Peg-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Cocamido-Propyl Betaine, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Glycerin, Lauroamphoglycinate, Peg-150 Distearate, Sodium Laureth-13 Carboxylate, Fragrance, Polyquaternium-10, Tetrasodium EDTA, Quaternium-15, Citric Acid, D&C Yellow No. 10, D&C Orange No. 4.

And, to save you the trouble of looking, here's the page on sodium laureth sulfate

Kathy "Sahmpoo? Never! Real poo or nothing!" B.
[edit--curses! too late again!]

[This message has been edited by Kathy B (edited 09-20-2000).]

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kiwibird

Let's apply a little logic here, m'dears.
Novocaine is a prescription drug. It's not
available OTC. Therefore, it wouldn't be
an ingredient in a baby product.

Johnson & Johnson tells us that the product is hypollergenic and soap-free. At the time the product came along, this was pretty stunningly original, since before that, people weren't able to use shampoos on their kids without causing red and painful eyes because of the soap and other harsh chemicals.

OK? Does logic penetrate the fog a little?

------------------
Kiwibird
It's the bird, not the fruit!
The Kiwi Bird Page

Lackwit

Let's apply a little more logic: has anyone who has ever handled Johnson's baby shampoo noticed that their hands turn numb? Or scalp or eyes? Besides, even if shampoo contained novocaine, it would still irritate eyes, so they'd still turn red and bloodshot. I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that novocaine itself might even irritate eyes.
So now we've got shampoo that not only causes cancer, it numbs your brain. Terrific.

Lackwit

------------------
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. --G.I. Joe

noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's apply a little logic here, m'dears.
Novocaine is a prescription drug. It's not
available OTC. Therefore, it wouldn't be
an ingredient in a baby product.
Johnson & Johnson tells us that the product is hypollergenic and soap-free. At the time the product came along, this was pretty stunningly original, since before that, people weren't able to use shampoos on their kids without causing red and painful eyes because of the soap and other harsh chemicals.

I was pretty sure this wasn't true, but wondered if there were any ingredients that could be misconstrued as novocaine or something similar.

I have a memory from 3 or 4 years old, how it took two people to wash my hair because I scream and struggled so much. Then my mother discovered J&J baby shampoo and it didn't hurt anymore.

Does anyone know when J&J baby shampoo debuted?

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tdn
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone that uses baby shampoo is a numbskull.

Sorry, someone had to say it.

Posts: 3800 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jeremy

Another bit of logic for us... (not that it already hasn't been debunked...)

Novacaine is not instant-numbing... so even IF it was legal OTC (which it isn't) you'd feel the pain for a short time before the drug took effect.

Jon Up North
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jon Up North   E-mail Jon Up North   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The active part of shampoo comes from a family of chemicals known as "surfactants". Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Potasium Laureth Sulfate are two of the most common. These handy little molecules have one end which is hydrophilic and another which is hydrophobic. The result is that one end grabs oil from the hair and then hitches on to the water for a short ride into the drain. The problem with suractants is that, when they get into the eyes, the keep doing their job. The tear film on the eye is mostly water with a bit of oil and it acts as a protective barrier. Surfactants pretty much remove this protection. It gets worse though, they do a fine job of stimulating nerves in the eye. This hurts.

No Tears shampoos also contain surfactants, but they piggyback a larger molecule on the surfactant to keep it from getting into the sensitive tissues in the eye. The substance is called and Amphoteric Surfactant. The molecule still holds the same oil/water binding properties, but it is too big to get through tissue etc. The result is... well... no more tears.

Two problems with amphoteric surfactants. 1) They are rather expensive to produce.

2) They don't lather..

Consumers like lathering because it makes them think the shampoo is working. I invite any of you to buy a few different varieties of "no tears" shampoo, use them, and try to work up a decent lather. You'll end up with very clean hair, but only a few sudds..

Amphoteric surfactants are how the shampoos keep tears away.

Jon 'No lather, no tears, no novocaine" Up North

Posts: 2358 | From: Fort McMurray, Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spicymos

quote:
Originally posted by BongoFury:
My Mom makes me wash my hair with teatree shapmoo beause of head Lice. She says that Baaby Shampoo is for Babys so I am too old for it. I am sorry I do not have a bottle to looke at. Sorry.

you too??

Bob McClenon

quote:
Originally posted by laocoon:
[snip]

Anyway, I went to Johnson & Johnson's site on the product and they attribute the "no tears" aspect to the fact that it lacks soap and alcohol, which makes sense.

Dunno how it cleans without soap, probably some other non-caustic miscelle formula or something.

Ingredients:
Could be wrong, but I would assume that novacaine is a controlled substance too, so I doubt it'd show up in OTC shampoo.

It is true that novocaine is a prescription medication. (In fact, it is normally not prescribed, but administered by injection by a physician, dentist, or nurse anesthetist. I don't know if pharmacists carry it.) However, xylocaine, which is similar to novocaine but is a topical anesthetic and is applied to the skin, is an ingredient in some OTC medical products for use in the mouth (on cold sores or on the gums of teething babies).

The question of whether the shampoo contains a local anesthetic has been answered. It does not. A few OTC products for pain relief do. They are sold as non-prescription drugs, not as cosmetics.

- - Bob McClenon

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages