snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Gene Simmons' tongue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gene Simmons' tongue
Crafter_Man
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So what's the deal with Gene Simmons' tongue? For years, I have heard that a strategically-placed cut allowed him to extend it a few inches farther than mother nature originally intended. Any truth?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elfant

I thought there was an ULRP about this, but Iím afraid I couldnít find one. In fact, I couldnít find anything one way or the other, anyplace. Iím inclined to believe that it isnít true, but you never do know. I did find some trivia and other silliness, though:
In this interview, Gene was asked just how long his tongue is, and he replied:
quote:

ďLong enough to make you forget any man you've ever known. You will forget your name. You will become religious. You will say, "Oh, my God." And I will say, "I could be." It's also got a spin and dry cycle. Available for bar mitzvahs, weddings, you name it.Ē

According to this, itís actually eight inches long. And, according to this, itís all a big conspiracy and theyíve all been dead for years.

[This message has been edited by Elfant (edited 09-18-2000).]

Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really wish snopes would do a page for this one, it comes up a lot.

In the meantime, go to http://kissasylum.com/dalesherman/issue5.shtml

for a collection of KISS Urban Legends, as discussed by KISS biographer Dale Sherman. #4 is the one you're after... it looks like Mr. Simmons' tongue is a natural gift.

[This message has been edited by Chris J (edited 09-18-2000).]

Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from people who can stick their tongue out a LONG way, I've also met people who can barely stick their tongue out at all...

There is a sort of web of skin under your tongue that attaches it to your lower jaw. The further forward this is, the less far out you can stick your tongue. I suppose Simmons' tongue could be fixed further back than normal... Or people could reckon that he'd severed that little tendon...

Forgive me, I'm just guessing. I didn't want to go web-searching on "tongue function" or somesuch...

Embra

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cynestria
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynestria   E-mail Cynestria   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my tongue is pretty long... not that long, but still long enough that people usually comment if i have occasion to make a face at someone :P
Posts: 3700 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yet again, Blackadder seems to have the ideal description:

"She's got a tongue like an electric eel, and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils!"

(Lord Flashheart, Blackadder II)

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chaim's mom

A friend of mine from college is a professional opera singer. When she was in college she had the tendon under her tongue cut, supposedly to help her better sing certain patterns of notes. Tongue tendon cutting was der riguer among voice majors at this college. After the cutting she was able to touch her nose with her tongue, which she hadn't been able to do before. I think the whole thing is pretty weird.
odaiwai

quote:
Originally posted by Elfant:

According to this, its actually eight inches long.

So where is that 8" measured from?

dave

DarkDemoness

It's the same thing they do to parrots to enable certain species to talk. Most parrots can't actually mimic human speech until they have that tendon cut. I hear it's relatively painless. It wouldn't surprise me if Gene has had this done.
rosa who else

Am I the only person who doesn't read "Gene Simmons" but reads "RICHARD Simmons" every time?

And flinches?

And passes up reading the thread?

rosa debonneheure

------------------
The SLC Annex now has a more pictures and its first movie ....
www.geocities.com/rosadebon

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages