snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Publishers Clearing House site

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Publishers Clearing House site
bryan
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Go to www.pch.com and play the match game. Each time you don't get a prize, you get a "tidbit" of supposedly strange but true info. Anyone care to confirm/ debunk some of these?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 03 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's what I got so far:

The bullfrog is the only animal that never sleeps.

"Whale harassment" is a federal offense. It's punishable by up to $10,000 in fines.

Ants have five noses. Each one smells a different odor.

One of the most popular soups in 1929 was Peanut Butter soup.

The first American car theft took place in St. Louis, Missouri in 1905.

Some breeds of vultures can fly at altitudes as high as 36,900 feet.

Termites cannot see.

The word "longshoreman" is derived from "along-the-shore-man."

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WHATEVER

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was almost addicted to that game. Then, I got bored. lol!
Yes, the little "fact" thingies are rather interesting! Don't know why I didn't think to write that here.....maybe cuz I'd be competing against even MORE people for that $1,000,000.00 prize.

WHAT"I can't believe I didn't win AGAIN"EVER

just Lisa
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just Lisa   Author's Homepage   E-mail just Lisa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
"Whale harassment" is a federal offense. It's punishable by up to $10,000 in fines.

The word "longshoreman" is derived from "along-the-shore-man."

Was someone whaling for me?

The Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 and subsequent amendments defines harassment and penalties:

quote:
Under the 1994 amendments, the Congress statutorily defined and divided the term "harassment" to mean any act of pursuit, torment, or annoyance which --

1.(Level A Harassment) has the potential to injure a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in the wild; or
2.(Level B Harassment) has the potential to disturb a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in the wild by causing disruption or behavioral patterns,including, but not limited to, migration, breathing, nursing, breeding, feeding, or sheltering.

The text of the MMPA is available in PDF format.

quote:
Any person who violates any provision of this subchapter or of any permit or regulation issued thereunder, except as provided in section 1387 of this title, may be assessed a civil penalty by the Secretary of not more than $10,000 for each such violation. No penalty shall be assessed unless such person is given notice and opportunity for a hearing with respect to such violation. Each unlawful taking or importation shall be a separate offense. Any such civil penalty may be remitted or mitigated by the Secretary for good cause shown.

The NOAA definition page is down, but the University of North Carolina School of Law reprints it:

quote:
The term "take" means to harass, hunt, capture, or kill, or attempt to harass, hunt, capture, or kill any marine mammal.

I nave a little less on Longshoreman.
IIRC the History Channel had a recent program recently on canals. It mentioned the along-the-shore cargo loaders and unloaders as the origin of the term longshoreman. However, I lost faith in that source when they had a program that repeated the old "cursed mummy in the Titanic hold" myth, so I sought other sources.

Yourdictionary.com has some confirmation:

quote:
Main Entry: long.shore.man
Pronunciation: 'lo[ng]-"shOr-m&n, -"shor-, "lo[ng]-'
Function: noun
Etymology: longshore, short for alongshore
Date: 1811
: a person who loads and unloads ships at a seaport

Bibliomania lists "Alongshoreman - see Longshoreman" as well.

Li "Asea" sa

------------------
No one should live by the early bird policy without finding out whether he classifies as a bird or a worm.

[This message has been edited by Lisa (edited 08-28-2000).]

Posts: 949 | From: Central California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chava

Icon 23 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some breeds of vultures can fly at altitudes as high as 36,900 feet.

I thought "breeds" only referred to domesticated animals which have been bred for particular characteristics. I don't think anyone has bred vultures to fly up with the 747s.

Chava

Ursa Major

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Ruppell's vulture is the highest flying bird; one hit a jet at an altitude of 37,000 feet (11,278 m) in 1973.
http://www.zoomwhales.com/subjects/birds/printouts/Vultureprintout.shtml

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this site, Andean condors can fly at 7000 meters or 22,965.9 feet (to be precise and to use a conversion program). Condors are just really big buzzards--the scientific name of the Andean condor is Vultur gryohus.

Ants don't have noses like vertebrates do--a single point of entry for smells. Ants have doohickeys on their antennae called sensilla that can detect certain chemicals in the air, which is sort like smelling. I'm being lazy again (take that, Walker & pinqy!) so I can't verify if there are only 5 sensilla--it doesn't seem likely as there would be the same number on each antenna. And teh number might vary with the species of ant. However, it is likely that each sensilla is programmed to pick up diferent chemicals.

And blind termites--yes and no. Termiteslive in colonies like ants & bees, with different castes. Workers & soldiers that spend their life underground may have reduced eyes or no eyes at all. Reproductive stages that may fly around for a while usually have some sort of eyes.

Kathy "antomologist" B.

------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
Mike Quear, US Congressional staffer

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages