snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Guinness Extra Stout Diet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guinness Extra Stout Diet
Paddy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Paddy   E-mail Paddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As some of you are aware, I own a restaurant/bar. We have Guinness Stout on draft. One of my patrons came in the other day claiming that a person could live on Guinness, 48 pints a day would be needed to sustain human nutrition, plus a glass of orange juice. he claims he read it on the internet :rolleyes

Now my questions are this:
48 pints a day = 1 pint every half hour, but that wouldn't work because you would probably get sleepy, so...

1. You drink 4 pints an hour for 12 hours a day and pass out for 12 hours each day. How long would the average human liver last at this rate of consumption?

2. Wouldn't you shit yourself to death?

3. Has anybody else seen any claims of the "Guinness Diet" on the net?

paddy "burp!" malone

Posts: | From: Hanford, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ROBERT.BAK
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paddy:
[...]

1. You drink 4 pints an hour for 12 hours a day and pass out for 12 hours each day. How long would the average human liver last at this rate of consumption?

According to the author of Unnatural Death, alcoholism does not directly cause cirrhosis of the liver -- that's caused by malnutrition due to spending all one's money/effort on booze...

ROBERT "mine's a pint" BAK

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rumor_buster

And, at two pints of Guiness an hour, 24/7, plus the cost of orange juice... that's as costly as it gets. Paddy, could you provide me with some numbers so I could do some figuring.
Alcohol doesn't directly cause cirrosis of the liver? Good God, that's another one. What I learned was "Alcohol is bad. It causes liver cancer. It will kill you."
And certain types of wine (1 glass a day for women, 2 for men) will cut your chances of heart disease in half and lower your risk of Alhiemers.

Rumor "Crunching numbers" Buster

[This message has been edited by rumor_buster (edited 08-09-2000).]

Paddy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Paddy   E-mail Paddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rumor_buster:
And, at two pints of Guiness an hour, 24/7, plus the cost of orange juice... that's as costly as it gets. Paddy, could you provide me with some numbers so I could do some figuring.

Sure. Guinness is right around 4% alcohol by volume. At approximately 4% alcohol at 20 oz. per Imperial Pint, at 48 pints per day, that would be 38.4 ounces of alcohol per day, which would be the near equivalent to a liter of Everclear each day, am I correct? As far as nutritional value, I dunno, that's why I am asking if anybody has seen a mention of this before.

And while it is true that alcohol doesn't necessarily cause liver failure or liver cancer or cirrosis, it can be a contributing factor if other elements are in place, mainly a stressed immune system, bodily fatigue, poor dietary habits, etc. etc.

Posts: | From: Hanford, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have anything on liver damage handy, but here's our best known thread on the chronic effects of drinking http://161.58.238.106/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000114.html
And here's the thread on the "Bloody Mary Diet" http://161.58.238.106/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000659.html
Kathy "off to do personal research on the nutritional content of Guiness" B.

------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
Mike Quear, US Congressional staffer

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bookachow!

From the New Scientist

quote:
The Last Word:

Q:  I have heard that it is possible to live on Guinness and milk alone. Is this true, or even partially true?

A. This is not quite true. Guinness does contain many vitamins and minerals in small quantities, but is lacking vitamin C, as well as calcium and fat. So, to fulfil all of your daily nutritional requirements you would need to drink a glass of orange juice, two glasses of milk, and 47 pints of Guinness.
- NIGEL GOODWIN, University of Nottingham

a. One factor missing would be dietary fibre. There is plenty of evidence that a diet rich in fats (which milk is) and low in fibre can result in health problems, such as colorectal cancer.
JOHN COOK
Waterlooville
Hampshire

New Scientist is a respectable science magazine. This Q&A is fromThe Last Word

quote:
Why is the sky blue? Why don't penguins' feet freeze? This collection of everyday science questions and answers is drawn from the pages of New Scientist, the world's leading weekly science and technology magazine, bringing you worldwide science and technology news, Internet features, science site reviews and much more. Plus hundreds of science and technology jobs every week.

Kathy "old scientist" B.

[This message has been edited by Kathy B (edited 08-09-2000).]

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhapsody Angel

I think if I tried to subsist on a diet consisting of 48 daily pints of Guinness Stout, I would literally embody the adage "You are what you eat!"

Rhapsody "subsisting on slimline tonic" Angel

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages