snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Mouse in bottle of Coke UL?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mouse in bottle of Coke UL?
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi, is this UL on snopes? I haven't been able to find it yet, maybe someone else can... I read it in a book, thought it was on the site also, but maybe not... I don't have all the details, except it entailed a person drinking a bottle of Coke which tasted funny, only to find a decomposing mouse corpse was inside it.
Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Missy
Miso Horny

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Missy   E-mail Missy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard that one too!! LOL!! A friend of mine and I were pouring drinks out of a 2 liter, when we noticed a funny fizzing only in one certain area of the bottle...it wasn't the normal fizzing it was kinda like what you get when you drop an alka seltzer in a glass of water. Anyway she remembered hearing about a mouse/rat in a bottle of coke. We promptly poured out the coke...but of course nothing was there. I stil have no idea why it fizzed the way it did though! LOL!

I did on the other hand find a rat/mouse turd in a can of tuna!!! Took me years to eat the stuff again!!! We even took it to the Board of Heath agency of some sort. They removed all the cans off the store shelf where we bought it, but concluded it as an "isolated incident".

Posts: 1 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Missy:
I did on the other hand find a rat/mouse turd in a can of tuna!!! Took me years to eat the stuff again!!! We even took it to the Board of Heath agency of some sort. They removed all the cans off the store shelf where we bought it, but concluded it as an "isolated incident".

Yuck! What brand?

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
Hi, is this UL on snopes?

Not yet. We're writing as fast as we can, though.

Barbara "rodent cola: wotta bite!" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I forget if this has been posted before, probably has, but it's good for the "eccchh!" value! Missy, if you were worried about mouse turds, DON'T even go there!
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html#CHPTD

Embra "real poo, not shampoo!"

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jg
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one that always thinks of Bob & Doug when this pops up? It was he episode where they were explaining how to put a mouse in a beer bottle so you could get free beer.

jg...that would be like..uh...a lot of free beer eh

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
'Lester

Icon 24 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
. Seems to be a regional UL; a mouse is most often found in a bottle eastward, while it's more often a _SLUG_ in the bottle westward.....

Ever notice, though, that the same people who most often complained about foreign "stuff" in their drink bottles are now the most vocal in objecting to the new _PLASTIC_ bottles causing a strange additive taste?

WHATEVER

jg!!!!! That movie RAWKS!!!!!! lol!

WHAT"shaddap....Hoser"EVER

tommi
The First USA Noel

Icon 05 posted      Profile for tommi   E-mail tommi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's another one: anyone remember the "hypodermic needles in Pepsi bottles" a few years back? That one really happened, but it grew to UL-ish proportions--everyone thought that there was a needle in *every* can of Pepsi. I think that was about the time I became a regular Coke drinker...

tom"rich in hypodermic goodness!"mi

Posts: 628 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zenman
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Zenman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'Lester:
. Seems to be a regional UL; a mouse is most often found in a bottle eastward, while it's more often a _SLUG_ in the bottle westward.....

taste?

Then you need to attend the annual Humboldt County Banana Slug Festival. Many wonderful receipits are created. My fave is Banana Slug Pie. The filling is made from pureed slugs in a custard. Then a generous handful of small banana slugs are placed on top and covered with a merangue. This is placed in a oven to set and brown. If prepared properly, on serving, the small slugs will just be crawling out of the merangue as you bring it to the table.

Posts: | From: Fairfield, CA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paddy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Paddy   E-mail Paddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tommi:
[B]Here's another one: anyone remember the "hypodermic needles in Pepsi bottles" a few years back? That one really happened,/QUOTE]

Oh, come on, Tommi? You should know better than saying "That one really happened" without backing it up with a source.

paddy "just needlin' ya" malone

Posts: | From: Hanford, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tommi
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommi   E-mail tommi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hehe...ya got a point, paddy. I decided to pop "hypodermic needles in pepsi" into a search engine just to see what came up, and at the first site I went to, I found this (I don't know how to do that nice little quote thing, this is just a direct cut and paste):

Later that year, Mexican school teacher Maria Del Consuelo Lazaro sued PepsiCo after finding a rat the size of a fist in a can of Diet Pepsi during a visit to America. Fearful of causing another "flurry," federal investigators did not make a public announcement after confirming
that, indeed, rat parts were found in the can. A Pepsi official denied responsibility.

It's at http://www.roadsideamerica.com/rant/pepsipanic.html . The reason the whole thing stuck in my mind was because a guy from my hometown was one of the people who tried to claim they found one--he was quickly proven to be lying, but we got our fifteen minutes of fame.

tom"the snopes page on needles in pay phone slots came up, too"mi

Posts: 628 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Missy
Miso Horny

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Missy   E-mail Missy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
Yuck! What brand?

It was Starkist Tuna....the Charlie The Tuna one! ICK was right! Although I later realized there are other unmentionables in some of our favorite food as well. When I found out what Nitrates meant and that they were in hotdogs...it took me a year to eat one again.

Posts: 1 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Guinastasia
Newsqueak

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Guinastasia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Guinastasia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah hell, what ARE nitrates?

Posts: 26 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Invisible_Man

I have never encountered a Mouse in a Coke bottle, but once my mother found three peanuts, still in their shells, in a borrle of Dr. Pepper.
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Missy:
When I found out what Nitrates meant and that they were in hotdogs...it took me a year to eat one again.

I don't know if they're any better than the normal kind, but I only eat Kosher all-beef hot dogs... (Anyway they sure taste a heck of a lot better...)
My 8th grade teacher once told everyone in the class what hot dogs were made of, while we were in the middle of eating lunch- yep, you guessed it, the day's special was hot dogs. I was surprised no one threw up...

laocoon

quote:
Originally posted by Embra:
I forget if this has been posted before, probably has, but it's good for the "eccchh!" value! Missy, if you were worried about mouse turds, DON'T even go there!
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html#CHPTD

Embra "real poo, not shampoo!"

You have to love the government's cold use of understatement and euphemisms. Maybe it's just me, but I would consider "mammalian excreta" of greater significance than just "aesthetic".

It's an aesthetic problem if your curtains don't match your carpet, not if you find [ahem] mammalian excreta in your food.

Mortimer Brewster

Speaking of mice in soda. Here's a story from the Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City) about a guy who says he found a rat in his soft drink at McDonald's

Man sues, reporting mouse in drink
07/22/2000
By Michael McNutt
Staff Writer

BLACKWELL -- The soft drink Branden Berry said he got at a McDonald's in Blackwell seemed more suited for one of the contestants on the "Survivor" hit television show.

Unlike the islanders who chose to eat rats, Berry said he did not expect a rodent to be part of his meal.

Berry said he found a dead mouse in his soft drink cup after he had finished drinking more than two-thirds of it while traveling to his home in Medford, about 30 miles away.

He saw the mouse after he lifted the cup's lid, Berry said in a lawsuit filed in Kay County District Court.

Berry is seeking at least $10,000 in actual damages as well as punitive damages from McDonald's. He is claiming emotional and physical damage.

"He doesn't eat out anymore," said his lawyer, Philip Outhier of Enid.

The franchise owner in Blackwell, Clement Collogan, also is named in the suit.

ODUFrank

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of gross rodent findings, the husband #4 of a relative worked at a McDonalds in Pennsylvania during college. Anyway, everyone is familiar with their french fries, right? Either hot and crispy, or cool and soft, but always greasy? Well, anyway, they were kinda lazy up there, and you know the fryer that is used for the french fries? Well, it is supposed to be cleaned out every so often. I don't remember what he said for how often it was supposed to be cleaned, but I do know Wendys requires it to be cleaned out every day. So, after not having cleaned it out for a couple weeks, do you know what they found at the bottom? The remains of a dead rat. Yummy. Pass the ketchup.

tommi
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommi   E-mail tommi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a restaurant near my high school that had many UL-ish stories surrounding it. I heard most of them from a guy who supposedly applied for a job there, until he was "warned away" by one of the employees. He said this employee told him that the place was totally infested with roaches and rats, and that they even ran on and around the tables in the dining room. He also said that during slow periods, the kitchen employees would catch roaches (he didn't mention rats) and toss them, alive, on the grill to watch them sizzle. These stories quickly spread, until it was known throughout the school to avoid this restaurant. I've never been in there, or known anyone who was, so I can't really comment, but I wonder if the guy who applied (who was not exactly what you would consider a model employee) was turned down and made it all up to retaliate.

Then there was the place near my uncle's home in TN that was shut down for using dog meat...it was supposedly proven by the police, who identified the skinned dogs hanging in the kitchen as missing pets from the area. I can't find any news accounts of it, it's just a word of mouth thing that that's what happened. The irony is, everybody (including my dad and brother) who's ever eaten there thought it was the best BBQ they'd ever had...isn't there a short story or something like that, where a restaurant is serving human meat and all the unknowing customers love it?

tom"how would you identify a skinned dog, anyway?"mi

[This message has been edited by tommi (edited 07-26-2000).]

megaira

You might be thinking of Fried Green Tomatoes where they bbq'd up a guy and the investigator thought it was the best darn bbq he'd ever had... I'm sure there's an older story about it somewhere.

Restaurants/roaches... seems to be location relevent... resteraunts out west in the desert/dry areas don't seem to have to spray for bugs as much as they do back east. Some of them had to spray week (our's sprayed every other week on thursday nights)... and they definitely had roaches... only 1 or 2 cases of anyone getting a bug in their food in 3 years though - one was a little green caterpiller that had made its home in the salad mix...the other was... a roach. To this day, I cannot stand the sight of a roach - give me spiders, aphids and other creepy crawlies, but please don't make me deal with roaches.

Meg "bugged out" aira

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages