snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » I got an idea...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I got an idea...
ODUFrank
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We should start an urban legend! Seriously. Since we have read everything about why most of the urban legends on this great site are false, we can apply that knowledge to make up one that can't be so easily disproven. And, we could all do our part and try to spread it around until it is mentioned on radio newspaper, or TV, or fwd to everyone over and over again thru email. I'm thinking about something gross, like the the lobster story, but more believable, or something involving fast food. Please post your ideas!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This has come up many, many times before. I personally think it's a bad idea to intentionally start and spread ULs.

Think of your pet peeve legend. The one that you just can't stand and you get pissed off just thinking about. Then think about what you'd like to do to the person that orginally made it up and sent it out. Do you really want to become that person?

Jenn

------------------
Animatronic monkeys can lick, too.
--Todd Neal

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tdn
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 03 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That has been discussed here before, and the result was that it might be of questionalbe morality to do so. However, there is speculation that this list is floating around out there. None of us has gotten it yet, though.

1. Every country in the world has a city whose name can be translated as "Springfield."
2. Cats, once considered gods by the Ancient Egyptians, have genetic coding that cannot be traced beyond the times of the Pharoahs.
3. In 1985 the WISC IQ test was "dumbed down" so that America could keep an IQ of 100 as the average level.
4. Every state lottery won since 1988 with a jackpot larger than $20 million has included 17 as one of the winning numbers.
5. Clarence Darrow, the defense attorney in the famous "Snopes monkey trial", actually hoped to lose the case so he could appeal it to a higher court.
6. Over 75% of radio announcers on the air from1990-1999had once worked in gas stations.
7. Cats will never face the setting sun.
8. It is physically impossible for a giraffe to hiccup.
9. Each joke on the Comedy Channel must have a name, for legal reasons. 10. The MIR space station stocks 20 toilet plungers.
11. An average of 16 people are killed every year by falling vending machines.
12. The phrase '2 cents worth' came about because in Colonial times it cost2 cents to have a letter to the editor printed in the town newspaper.
13. The St Lawrence River ends in Quebec City. From there to the ocean, it'sreal name is "Wide River."
14. There are 1,289 Starbuck's coffee shops in Los Angeles.
15. Windmills always turn counter-clockwise.
16. It is estimated that 11% of the population requires different shoe sizes for each foot.
17. The Ferris Wheel was originally intended to be used as a means of transporting people between floors in a building.
18. The bird most closely related to the buzzard is the hummingbird.
19. Miniature marshmallows are listed as the cause of death in 417 cases in the United States since 1959.
20. At one time, McDonald's had one accountant whose sole job was to keep track of precisely how many hamburgers were sold.
21. Night vision goggles were developed by copying the eye structure of Siamese cats.
22. Angelica Huston was born in Orlando, FL, and Tony Orlando was born in Houston, TX.
23. The word "curfew" originally was a mangling of "fewer on the curb", a reference to the original intent of curfews to stop prostitution.
24. The artist formerly known as "Prince" was a founding member of Menudo.
25. In Dicken's original draft of "A Christmas Carol, "Tiny Tim was originally Teeny Tina.

[This message has been edited by tdn (edited 07-20-2000).]

Posts: 3800 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tdn:

7. Cats will never face the setting sun.

This reminds me of grade 9 English class. Our teacher was always telling us stories and jokes, and he was so convincing that we were never sure what was true and what wasn't.

He had our class of 25 city kids nearly truly believing that in movies cowboys always ride off into the sunset because horses will only walk towards the sun. I know it's not true...but...he sounded so sincere!

Jenn

------------------
Animatronic monkeys can lick, too.
--Todd Neal

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 03 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that the world doesn't need any more UL's, but I was thinking it would be funny to make a UL warning against the spreading of UL's. Here's an example (I believe I posted this last time the idea came up):

A guy, let's call him Bill, gets the E-mail about street gangs shooting people who flash their headlights at them. Thinking it's real without checking it out, he passes it on to everyone he knows. One of the persons he spreads it to, let's call him Joe, happens to be a member of a street gang. Thinking it's a cool idea, Joe suggests to his fellow gangsters that they do it. They head out, driving with their lights off. Then a car ahead flashes its headlights at them. Joe points his gun out the window and fires, killing the driver instantly. The driver, it turns out, is Bill, the guy who forwarded it to him.

David "SPREAD THIS UL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW! LET THEM KNOW THAT THEY SHOULD NEVER SPREAD ULS!" Anderson

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chava

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
5. Clarence Darrow, the defense attorney in the famous "Snopes monkey trial", actually hoped to lose the case so he could appeal it to a higher court.

I saw Inherit the Wind on TV again not long ago, and I believe that the Darrow character actually makes this statement.

Chava

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think everyone has seen far too many copies of the anti-UL urban legend. It seems to run in cycles like genuine ULs--it turns up here every few months. I'm not looking forward to getting 25 copies of yet another version.
Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bob McClenon

tdn wrote, as a UL to invent:

>5. Clarence Darrow, the defense attorney in >the famous "Snopes monkey trial", actually >hoped to lose the case so he
>could appeal it to a higher court.

What was the Snopes monkey trial? Did the
maintainer of this board appear as an expert
witness in a trial in which some UL about
a baboon was being litigated? That sounds
WEIRD.

Did Faulkner write an account of one of his
fictional Snopes characters being tried
for cruelty to apes?

On the other hand, since Darrow has been
dead since before this board was founded,
and since Faulkner would not have used
a historical figure in a novel, maybe this
is a reference to the trial of John
SCOPES in Tennessee for teaching evolution
(the 'monkey theory').

I don't know whether Darrow actually wanted
to win or lose the case at the trial court
level. His statement about wanting to appeal
it in the movie could be a case where the
movie reflects a legend. However, the ACLU,
which was new at the time, did want to get
a ruling by the state supreme court.
That would have required losing the case
at the trial court level, since a verdict
of not guilty in a criminal trial cannot
be appealed.

The defense did lose, but the case was then
reversed on technical grounds, so that
the ACLU didn't get their definitive ruling
on the teaching of evolution until decades
later.

- - Bob McClenon

tdn
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob McClenon:
What was the Snopes monkey trial?

Ever watch those nature shows? The ones where they tag animals so they can track them years later? That's what the Snopes monkey trial is - a tag to track that e-mail while it roams the wild cyber-plains in search of a mate.

Posts: 3800 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On the other hand, since Darrow has been dead since before this board was founded, and since Faulkner would not have used a historical figure in a novel, maybe this is a reference to the trial of John SCOPES in Tennessee for teaching evolution
(the 'monkey theory').

Actually, it's a reference to an obscure literary device known as a "pun."

- snopes

[This message has been edited by snopes (edited 07-21-2000).]

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B:
I think everyone has seen far too many copies of the anti-UL urban legend. It seems to run in cycles like genuine ULs--it turns up here every few months. I'm not looking forward to getting 25 copies of yet another version.

Yes, but that one doesn't have a *moral* at the end :P

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KingDavid8:
A guy, let's call him Bill, gets the E-mail about street gangs shooting people who flash their headlights at them. Thinking it's real without checking it out, he passes it on to everyone he knows. One of the persons he spreads it to, let's call him Joe, happens to be a member of a street gang. Thinking it's a cool idea, Joe suggests to his fellow gangsters that they do it.

There are people out there copying/trying to copy ULs and making them 'real'. That's the problem with people spreading untrue stories. There is often someone who decides to try it or copy it... For an example, not an urban legend but something that many well meaning people spread around is that people who fight dogs use gunpowder to make them mean (there are other things also). Well, of course some of the wanna be street punks believed it, and they started feeding their dogs gunpowder (which will probably poison them). There was a thread about this on one of the dog newsgroups a while back, lemme see if I can find it...

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slycat

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tdn:

8. It is physically impossible for a giraffe to hiccup.

I have heard this one before, but with yawning. I actually read it in a newspaper. I can't cite where so it is very possible that this is a UL.

Archie D Bunker

For those of youse who is new around here--that list of legends that tdn put up--they is all not true. Da SLC made 'em up on accounta we got tired of seein' all dem lists of "true facts."

Archie "buncha meatheads" D. Bunker

Edith D Bunker

Icon 09 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Archie! Can I get you a beer?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages