snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Glurge Archive » Jon Gettle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jon Gettle
Demonic Matt
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 86 posted      Profile for Demonic Matt   E-mail Demonic Matt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The boy woke up, just 14 years old. He brushed his teeth just like he'd
been told. He rushed to the door & grabbed his books. around & around he then looks. From the second he reaches the bus the names start to be called. They made fun of his clothes & the book-bag he hauled. The boy never really fit in school. Being smart just didn't make you cool. I remember one day i saw him drentched in mustard. kids were throwing pizza & school custard. Then one girl poored milk over his head. he walked to the office wishing to be dead. & the girl he liked had no heart at all. He gave her a flower & told her to call. she took the flower & through it in the trash can. & told him she'd never date such an ugly man. so that night he said good night to his mother. kissed his dad & tucked in his little brother. He put on his shoes & walked through the night. until his middle school crept into sight. as he grabbed onto the rope he said his goodbye. for then he decided he wanted to die. so he took a step & down he fell. he hung there right infront of his own hell.

Jon Gettle hung himself infront of his middle school in Illinois at midnight. He left a note. It stated: "Bullying is a problem"

re-post this if you have a heart..

real? probably not. Terrible poem anyway...

Posts: 60 | From: North Wales | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InfraPurple
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InfraPurple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
news.google.com doesn't return any hits on 'Jon Gettle'. After sifting through some of the google web search results, I found this link. You need to scroll down to 'Suicide Prevention', and the date is August 10, 2005. Evidently this incident happend in 2002.

Most of the hits for 'Jon Gettle' return the glurge, mostly word for word.

--------------------
While I wasn't falling down or anything, gravity and I did have an interesting relationship for a short time. - Purple Iguana

Posts: 715 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How would he manage to hang himself right in front of the school? What would he hang from?

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
How would he manage to hang himself right in front of the school? What would he hang from?

He could use the gallows the English teacher used to hang herself. She would have to do herself in after reading the poorly worded, misspelled glurge above. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 86 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bettie Page Turner:
He could use the gallows the English teacher used to hang herself. She would have to do herself in after reading the poorly worded, misspelled glurge above. [Roll Eyes]

LOL!! [lol] You may owe me oxygen.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

a tree, maybe?

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demonic Matt:
re-post this if you have a heart...

So, not reposting this horrible, belittling, crappy piece of glurge makes ME the heartless one? Huh, I woulda thought the opposite. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by belaglik:
quote:

a tree, maybe?
A tree right in front of a school? I like Bettie's explanation better. You have earned a YOMANK, Bettie.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This story sounds very "Cipher in the Snow"-ish...

I hope I am not the only one who has seen this fine film...

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kahdra
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kahdra   E-mail Kahdra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:

I've seen it, but not for years. It used to make me cry as a kid.

--------------------
"Science makes everything sound painful, Spongebob." - Sandy

Posts: 225 | From: Salt Lake County, UT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
react2distract
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for react2distract   E-mail react2distract   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

a tree, maybe?
A tree right in front of a school? I like Bettie's explanation better. You have earned a YOMANK, Bettie.
My school had a tree or two in front of it, as do a number of the schools I'm at least passably familiar with in this area.

In fact, I spotted one this evening that had me thinking of this post (which I'd read this afternoon) at my son's junior-pro football game. I'm no treeologist, but I'd guess it was an elm, or oak, or something, and definitely high enough to have sufficed.

Posts: 121 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

a tree, maybe?
Isn't there a flagpole in front of every school in the US?

OTOH, if he had hung himself from a flagpole, this fact would have made it into the glurge...

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, proud day [Smile] ...my very first YOMANK and a LOL from one post. Now...I must tell you all the truth. I WAS going to commit suicide today when I got home from work...but your outpouring of love has saved me. Forward my tale to those you care for, and God bless. If you don't forward, your dog will get mange, those South American worm thingies will hatch around your nipples, and the baby Jesus will cry.

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FC
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FC   E-mail FC   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Where else would he hang himself? In Glurgeland, suicides have to be as dramatic as possible. Shooting himself at a remote location just wouldn't suffice.
Posts: 45 | From: Puget Sound, WA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beastly Despot
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly Despot   Author's Homepage   E-mail Beastly Despot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:

Not only do I remember it, they showed it to a group of corrections officers at the Indiana Boy's School (juvie prison) when I went through their training program. It was really bizarre.

I have no idea why, and I certainly have no idea where they got such a thing.

What was even more bizarre is that some of my fellow COs were talking afterward about how much it made them think. Gak.

--------------------
"I have a cunning plan"

Posts: 287 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 88 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
[Isn't there a flagpole in front of every school in the US?

Yes there is, and if he'd hung himself from it, the note would've read: I wasn't allowed to say the Pledge of Allegence.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In front of my former high school is a soccer/football field. He could've taken his choice to hang himself from the goalie box or the goal posts. (Maybe he could climb on the goalie box to reach the goal post to tie the rope?)

And to think, when I was in high school, I was going to do myself in a completely, more gory way. But it's TMI and in the past, I obviously didn't do it. I just know where little Glurge Boy is coming from, all too painfully well...

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Georgy Porgy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What is the point of this glurge?

"Bullying is a problem." (and children kill themselves for it) ?

I don't think so. Children kill themselves when they feel totally hopeless. Perhaps the letter should have read, "My family sucks".

My biggest problem with glurge is that it so often completely avoids the deeper issue.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The story in the link provided (under "Suicide Prevention" says that he hung himself "from a beam" in front of the school.

Damn random beams sticking out of schools and providing people places from which to hang...

Little "now feeling guilty for making a joke" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages