snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Glurge Archive » Dust if you must (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dust if you must
Beastly Despot
Deck the Malls

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Beastly Despot   Author's Homepage   E-mail Beastly Despot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember...a layer of dust protects the Wood beneath it.

Dusting

"A house becomes a home when you can write "I love you" on the furniture."

I can't tell you how many countless hours that I have spent CLEANING!

I used to spend at least 8 hours every weekend making sure things were just perfect - "in case someone came over".

Then I realized one day that no-one came over; they were all out living life and having fun!

Now, when people visit, I find no need to explain the "condition" of my home. They are more interested in hearing about the things I've been doing while I was away living life and having fun. If you haven't figured this out yet, please heed this advice.

Life is short. Enjoy it! Dust if you must.......

but wouldn't it be better to

paint a picture or write a letter,

bake cookies or a cake

or

plant a seed, ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there's not much time, with rivers to swim and mountains to climb, music to hear and books to read, friends to cherish and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world's out there

with the sun in your eyes, the wind in your hair, a flutter of snow, a shower of rain. This day will not come around, again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind, old age will come and it's not kind.

And when you go - and go you must - you, yourself will make more dust!

Share this with all the wonderful friends in your life.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Well, as glurge goes its not so bad. Kind of a nice thought, really, in a Wonder Bread kind of way. I take issue with the idea that everyone who is not dusting is out living life to the "Carpe diem"-est, but whatever.

The irritating thing about this is it came from a judge who sent it out to all court services employees. The weird format is because it was loaded with lame animated .gifs (or whatever the he77 they are).

Its so irritating to get this stuff from people who should know better and would never put up with receiving it.

Ah well, the world keeps on spinnin'

--------------------
"I have a cunning plan"

Posts: 287 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't there a happy medium? Like don't be so obsessive that you ignore life, family, and friends, but tidy up enough that you can find stuff and your kids don't die from an asthma attack or some infection because of all the dust and squalor?
Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sub-Contractor
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Medan Agan" is the phrase, vs "Carpe diem."

Then again, that might be why the Romans conquered Greece. [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 82 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Memo to glurger--some of us have to dust at least every now and then, 'cause some of us have dust allergies. One of the many good things about air conditioning is that it cuts down on the need to dust.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ligeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ligeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ya know, this glurge really spoke to me. But why stop with just dusting? I'm gonna quit washing my dishes too. I'll just get the disposable stuff and get back at least fifteen minutes every night. Ooh! Just think of all the time I'll have if I stop dragging that trash can to the curb every freakin' week. I may be living in squalor, but at least I'm living, dammit! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Fight evil diaper rash!

Posts: 196 | From: Southwest Missouri | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 19 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And while you're at it, think of the time you'll save by not flushing the toilet or cleaning out the cat's litter box!

--------------------

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beastly Despot
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly Despot   Author's Homepage   E-mail Beastly Despot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ligeia:
Ya know, this glurge really spoke to me. But why stop with just dusting? I'm gonna quit washing my dishes too. I'll just get the disposable stuff and get back at least fifteen minutes every night. Ooh! Just think of all the time I'll have if I stop dragging that trash can to the curb every freakin' week. I may be living in squalor, but at least I'm living, dammit! [Big Grin]

Dang! What a great idea! When the wife tells me to help clean up, I'll just holler from the TV room, "Sorry, I'm busy LIVIN!'"

btw, does anyone else suspect that the author is kind of misreading the situation when she thinks no one visits her b/c they're out living? I would bet there are *ahem* other reasons that no one comes to see her.

--------------------
"I have a cunning plan"

Posts: 287 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowboy Joe
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cowboy Joe   E-mail Cowboy Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I kind of like this.

Some friends of ours have a sign in their home that says "Please excuse the mess and noise, our children are busy making memories"

Much glurgier than this post but still true.

--------------------
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Posts: 382 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Cat Named Easter
Catfish on a Hot Tin Roof

Icon 05 posted      Profile for A Cat Named Easter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What the...?

Noise and memories don't even rhyme!

Isn't there a law that says glurgy little signs in your house have to rhyme?

--------------------
I am the death that walks the night.
I am the bringer of dreamless sleep.

Posts: 196 | From: Newly relocated to Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 37 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beastly Despot:
I would bet there are *ahem* other reasons that no one comes to see her.

Maybe the lack of regular bathing/grooming? [Big Grin] Think of the time that takes!

Dawn--probably doesn't get many e-mails either--Storm

--------------------

Hazed
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hazed   E-mail Hazed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now this is a glurge I like...I support anything that justifies one not cleaning their house. [lol] [fish]
Posts: 1128 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sign on my fridge: I cleaned my house last millennium. Sorry you missed it.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Once a year I rent a back hoe so my daughter can clean her bedroom.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not going to dust anymore. In fact, I'm not going to vacuum anymore, either. I'm going to save all the fur Rory the Wonder Dog has shed, and knit a sweater out of it, making more precious memories for the poor orphanged glurge children, come winter time...

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 214 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
I'm going to save all the fur Rory the Wonder Dog has shed, and knit a sweater out of it, making more precious memories for the poor orphanged glurge children, come winter time...

You are SO compassionate!
This glurge reminds me of an ad (for a local bank I believe) that ran on the radio about a two years ago. It featured this I'm-so-terrible-busy woman saying that in so many words she didn't even have time to fart. I can still hear part of the ad: 'Minute rice?! Who's got time for that?' What a dumb ad! [Razz]

--------------------

TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How could I not involve orphaned children and a fur/sweater providing dog into a glurge? What would a glurge be without destitute children and puppy doggies?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
notacoolname
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I still liked this glurge, it reminded me of my mother. She'd say that she didn't want to deal with the dust bunnies until they actually started negotiating with the Russians for weapons. She also hid dirty dishes in the oven if company was comming.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I went to someone's dirty-ass house, and they started spouting rhymes about the life they've lived, well, I'd commend them on a life well lived, and never, EVER, come over again. Damn hippies.
Write a poem about Comet Cleanser, why don't ya?

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 102 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tee Hee:

Comet, will make your hair turn green
Comet tastes like gasoline
Comet will make you vomit
So buy some Comet
And vomit
Today.
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notacoolname:
Well, I still liked this glurge, it reminded me of my mother. She'd say that she didn't want to deal with the dust bunnies until they actually started negotiating with the Russians for weapons. She also hid dirty dishes in the oven if company was comming.

I love your mother! [lol]

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] As do I! [lol]

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DawnStorm:
quote:
Originally posted by Tee Hee:

Comet, will make your hair turn green
Comet tastes like gasoline
Comet will make you vomit
So buy some Comet
And vomit
Today.
[Big Grin]

YOMANK!

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mkcp91
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mkcp91     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And while you're at it, think of the time you'll save by not flushing the toilet or cleaning out the cat's litter box!

Sometimes you have to make time to flush. Here's a good rule of thumb:

If it's yellow, let it mellow . . .
If it's brown, flush it down!

[fish]

~mkcp91

Posts: 8 | From: Amish Country, PA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But what if it's green or day-glo orange?

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Then you've been eating Fruit Loops or those cereals with the colored marshmallows again.

Why are you all staring at me? What?!

This must be a regional thing. I learned the frist verse to the song as:

quote:
Comet! It makes your teeth turn green!
Don't get me started on the "Diarrhea Song".

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

DawnStorm

Icon 302 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Trish, it IS teeth! [dunce]
Been a while since I heard the song!

--------------------

Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well for our contract, we require a duster daily in each pod. The air conditioner is turned off nightly and restarted in the early morning which blows out loads of dust and can end up being recirculated into the air filters clogging them up.

Which is also why we have to service vacuuming the air filters every year to six months as well over time too.

So the dusters have to go every day and wipe down cubicle by cubicle on every pod for what they are able to dust unless they request the customers to remove their personal affections for a minute before they can dust.

If you opened your house air conditioner's blowing vents or having the house serviced, you can see how much dust can build up in the a/c over the year.

Not to mention, dust can also contaminate you by breathing it in causing asthma amongst other issues.

Either dust or vacuum out your dust, or buy a very good air filtration unit like the Ionic Breeze to capture the harmful particles. Otherwise, the health concerns.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ligeia:
Ooh! Just think of all the time I'll have if I stop dragging that trash can to the curb every freakin' week. I may be living in squalor, but at least I'm living, dammit! [Big Grin]

Dang! What a great idea! When the wife tells me to help clean up, I'll just holler from the TV room, "Sorry, I'm busy LIVIN!'"

and the Voice of Reason Being Goaded wafts out from the kitchen "That can be remedied, dear."
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks Trish, it IS teeth! [dunce]
Been a while since I heard the song!

I learned it as:
"Comet, it makes your mouth so clean
Comet, it tastes like Listerine . . ."

Dust bunnies? We have dust buffaloes.

I recall a conversation from early in our marriage:

ME: Do you think you could dust tomorrow? I want to start painting when I get home from work.
Mrs. driver: Dust? What's that?
Me: It's the white stuff all over the furniture.
(sound of my body hitting the floor)

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mgbdriver:
Dust bunnies? We have dust buffaloes.

A few years ago, when I worked in a different building, the janitorial services had been cut way back (due to 9/11 etc.). For some reason, one particular stairwell kept getting missed in the apparently random vacuuming missions. Finally, an anonymous coworker made up little signs and named the largest dust bunnies, starting at the ground floor and working up. We had Velvetine and Peter (as well as Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail) and just about every other famous rabbit you can name.

It took less than a week for the stairwell to be vacuumed.

[Smile]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LibrarianJen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LibrarianJen   E-mail LibrarianJen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
She also hid dirty dishes in the oven if company was comming.

Ahhhhh! I tried that once, and that was the last time for that. A group of friends was coming over to my apartment, and I hurriedly cleaned up, because one of the guys was coming over for the first time, and I liked him (we're now married). So I put all of the dishes in the sink into the oven. "Aren't I clever?" I thought.

They all get there, and as promised, had brought snacks. One of the guys (now my brother-in-law) said, "Look what I brought! Pizza rolls!" Grrrr....

Posts: 1093 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beastly Despot
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly Despot   Author's Homepage   E-mail Beastly Despot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh. I tried that once in my batchelor days and found a pot of pea soup (you can imagine the condition) about three months later.

You might ask why I didn't notice the odor. Let's just say my wife has helped me clean up my act. You might ask why a sloppy batchelor was making pea soup. I can't help you there.

--------------------
"I have a cunning plan"

noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 37 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I have dust grizzlies.
--------
Sometimes people turn on the oven without checking it.

(What's that smell?)

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Heh. I tried that once in my batchelor days and found a pot of pea soup (you can imagine the condition) about three months later.

It didn't crawl out on it's own?
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by noreen:
quote:

It didn't crawl out on it's own?
[Roll Eyes]

Pea soup doesn't crawl. It kind of oozes around; creepy, but mostly harmless. On the other hand, leave a lasagna in the oven for three weeks... it grows teeth and attacks your cat. Believe me, I know.

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages