snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Glurge Archive » The Six-Inch Drop

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Six-Inch Drop
snopes
Return! Return! Return!


Icon 95 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The trip had started out like hundreds of others. Lorie Torbeck, of Appleton, Wisconsin-with the help of her teenage daughter, Eryn----had buckled the seven children who attended Lorie's home day care into their seats in Lorie's big Chevy Suburban, in preparation for a quick trip to the high school. "Eryn was a cheerleader, and it was yearbook picture day for the team," Lorie says. "The kids and I had made this quick trip dozens of times." Now, as they were driving along a narrow stretch of highway, a white panel truck came toward them. Lorie moved over a few inches, onto the shoulder, to give the truck ample room to pass. But as she tried to return to the highway, her tires became stuck in what was a six-inch drop from the concrete to the gravel shoulder. The vehicle began to fishtail.. "Hold on!" Eryn screamed. The van rolled over.

"Dear God, not now--the children are with me!" Lorie remembers her silent plea, as the van rolled a second time. Immediately she heard a voice saying, "Don't be frightened. God is with you and you will all be all right." She also had a vision of angels sitting on the children's laps, wrapping their arms around each little one. "An overwhelming sense of peace came over me," Lorie says,and she was able to relax even as the truck became airborne and flipped twice more, then came to a rest upright on a grassy incline.

The sudden silence was horrifying. Lorie had heard the children screaming as they rolled, but now all was silent. She was afraid to turn around and look, and instead fumbled for her cellphone. Where was it? Suddenly everyone was crying again. Cars above them were stopping, and someone waved his cellphone. "Call an ambulance!" Lorie yelled to him, then turned to help the children. Amazingly, everyone was alive, and she flew into action, pulling back two of the boys who were attempting to scramble through the broken windows, then passing four of the preschoolers through to bystanders who had come to help. Eryn unbuckled Makayla, the screaming baby, from her carseat---she had probably saved Makayla from serious injury by wrapping herself around the baby as the van rolled. As the second-to-last child was removed, it suddenly occurred to Lorie that the van might roll again! And three-year-old Cody was still inside, too far for her to reach him! "But the people would not! Let me crawl back to reach him," Lorie recalls. "I had to wait until the police arrived, and they got him out."

Wearily, Lorie climbed the hill. Good Samaritans had, by now, set all the children on a blanket, and were keeping them comforted and safe. Lorie did a quick exam, and discovered that four had escaped all injuries except bruising from their seatbelts. The other three had glasscuts on their arms (they eventually received stitches) but nothing more serious. As the ambulances arrived, she was able to examine herself, and realized that she had severed an artery in her head, causing her to be covered in blood, as well as a broken vertebra. Her ponytail had been completely torn from her head, and was found later in the grass. "The first policeman told me later that when he arrived on the scene and saw the damage to my truck, he expected to be pulling bodies out of it," Lorie says. "No one could believe that none of the passengers was seriously injured." Later, Lorie discovered that an aunt of hers who lived seventy miles away had been moved to get down on her knees and pray! For a relative who was traveling. The feeling came upon her at 3:30 pm, the exact time Lorie's truck began to roll.

It was a miracle. It had to be. But a few days later, Lorie recognized its full extent. One of the boys had an announcement to make. "There were angels in our laps in the truck that day," he told Lorie matter-of-factly, then ran off to play. Before she could react, another child told her the same thing. Lorie remembered her vision---an angel in each child's lap, shielding and protecting each little body---and the calm voice which assured her that everyone would survive the accident. She had not mentioned this experience to anyone except Eryn, and yet the children knew. She gives thanks each day for this gift.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie
The Red and the Green Stamps


Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
As the ambulances arrived, she was able to examine herself, and realized that she had severed an artery in her head, causing her to be covered in blood, as well as a broken vertebra. Her ponytail had been completely torn from her head, and was found later in the grass. "The first policeman told me later that when he arrived on the scene and saw the damage to my truck, he expected to be pulling bodies out of it," Lorie says. "No one could believe that none of the passengers was seriously injured."

I'm no doctor, but I would consider these to be pretty damn serious injuries. Severed and artery? Uh...that isn't like a minor cut or anything. And breaking a vertabre is definetly serious. And if you're ponytail is ripped from your head, wouldn't it take some scalp?

Yeah, none of that is at ALL serious. [Roll Eyes]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The trip had started out like hundreds of others. Lorie Torbeck, of Appleton, Wisconsin-with the help of her teenage daughter, Eryn----had buckled the seven children who attended Lorie's home day care into their seats in Lorie's big Chevy Suburban, in preparation for a quick trip to the high school.
Golly! This seems to be an actual person. Who appears to have some extraordinarily bad luck vis a vis children in car crashes:


Appleton - Fox Cities Post - Crescent article

quote:
APPLETON — The parents of two girls who survived an accident that killed three others want, if nothing else, to have something positive come from their nightmare.

Brittany Gietman and Kaley Torbeck, both 16, were seriously injured in a Dec. 20 accident that killed three Appleton men, Cory Atkins, Kyle Larson and Joseph Hinton, all 19. Hinton was the driver of the car that went out of control on N. Rankin Street and struck a retaining wall.

Gietman and Torbeck are students at North High School and the three men were North graduates.

Lorie Torbeck said she wants her daughter’s experience to resonate through the high school community.

“We want them to remember this for a long time,” said Torbeck.

“I want some good to come out of this, and I want to pound it into their heads.”



--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound


Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda_Marie:
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
As the ambulances arrived, she was able to examine herself, and realized that she had severed an artery in her head, causing her to be covered in blood, as well as a broken vertebra. Her ponytail had been completely torn from her head, and was found later in the grass. "The first policeman told me later that when he arrived on the scene and saw the damage to my truck, he expected to be pulling bodies out of it," Lorie says. "No one could believe that none of the passengers was seriously injured."

I'm no doctor, but I would consider these to be pretty damn serious injuries. Severed and artery? Uh...that isn't like a minor cut or anything. And breaking a vertabre is definetly serious. And if you're ponytail is ripped from your head, wouldn't it take some scalp?

Yeah, none of that is at ALL serious. [Roll Eyes]

She was the driver. The children were the passengers. None of them we're seriously injured.
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance


Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are hills around Appleton?


kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie
The Red and the Green Stamps


Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc J.:
quote:
Originally posted by Panda_Marie:
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
As the ambulances arrived, she was able to examine herself, and realized that she had severed an artery in her head, causing her to be covered in blood, as well as a broken vertebra. Her ponytail had been completely torn from her head, and was found later in the grass. "The first policeman told me later that when he arrived on the scene and saw the damage to my truck, he expected to be pulling bodies out of it," Lorie says. "No one could believe that none of the passengers was seriously injured."

I'm no doctor, but I would consider these to be pretty damn serious injuries. Severed and artery? Uh...that isn't like a minor cut or anything. And breaking a vertabre is definetly serious. And if you're ponytail is ripped from your head, wouldn't it take some scalp?

Yeah, none of that is at ALL serious. [Roll Eyes]

She was the driver. The children were the passengers. None of them we're seriously injured.
I gathered that, as Lorie seemed to be quoting others, that she was included in the group.

Either way, the story doesn't seem to address her injuries very seriously...

quote:
Originally posted by Dara:
Golly! This seems to be an actual person. Who appears to have some extraordinarily bad luck vis a vis children in car crashes:

Maybe God saw Lorie's previous driving record and decided it was time for her to be punished?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days


Icon 01 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kitap ramen noodles:
There are hills around Appleton?


kitap

Yep. And those hills are alive, with the sound of glurgers. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noreen
We Three Blings


Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lap-dancing angels?

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella


Icon 203 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if Kaley Torbeck is "Makayla, the screaming baby"? If so, the accident in the OP must have been some time ago.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shrek_Daddy
Deck the Malls


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shrek_Daddy   Author's Homepage   E-mail Shrek_Daddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkettios:
I wonder if Kaley Torbeck is "Makayla, the screaming baby"? If so, the accident in the OP must have been some time ago.

Nope..the others weren't her kids..only on daughter of her aboard..
quote:
the seven children who attended Lorie's home day care


--------------------
"We keep finding better ways to celebrate mediocrity"---Mr. Incredible

Assume at least one edit for typos..my keyboard and I fight alot :)

Posts: 275 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I missed that.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance


Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Milhouse Van Houten:
quote:
Originally posted by kitap ramen noodles:
There are hills around Appleton?


kitap

Yep. And those hills are alive, with the sound of glurgers. [Big Grin]
I've really only been to the Fox Valley Mall coming from Wausau when it comes to visiting Appleton so I really don't remember hills. Or hearing glurgers singing. [Wink]

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth


Icon 87 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess she won't be saving 10% on her car insurance any time soon! [Razz]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth


Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Dear God, not now--the children are with me!" Lorie remembers her silent plea, as the van rolled a second time.
"Please let this happen when Debbie has carpool duties instead, Lord!"

quote:
"But the people would not! Let me crawl back to reach him," Lorie recalls. "I had to wait until the police arrived, and they got him out."
My head hurt, reading this over and over trying to make sense of it. I take it she said, "But the people would not let me crawl back to reach him,"

quote:
Later, Lorie discovered that an aunt of hers who lived seventy miles away had been moved to get down on her knees and pray! For a relative who was traveling.
Gah! Gah! GAH!!! The grammar! THE GRAMMAR!!!!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, how many times have you seen a SIX INCH DROP from the edge of the road to the sholder (assuming the road was not under construction)? I'm sure someone could lose control even with a couple inch drop if they didn't know how to drive properly, but it wouldn't be a six-inch drop.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance


Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What I don't like here is the inference about God. I mean, what is she really saying? That God foresaw that she was going to have an accident, and so he super-naturally inspired her aunt to start praying. If that was the kind of faith I had, I would really want to know this: instead of inspiring old aunty to pray, why didn't God just prevent the accident? And even if God had some reason for the accident, if GOd himself is inspiring the aunt to pray -- pray that God would protect the kids we can assume -- then why would God actually need the woman to pray? I mean, what is that? Did God say to her, "hello aunty, listen, your niece is about to be in a terrible accident, and since I happen to be an all-powerful God, I'd like to protect her and the kids, but I can only do it if you start praying, so, would you mind?" please. What kind of a God is that?

I take my faith very seriously, and I'm just sick of all these pop glurgers acting like God is some sort of capricious genie and divine providence nothing more than the Jedi force. I mean, no wonder people are atheists.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arts Myth
The First USA Noel


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arts Myth   E-mail Arts Myth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
quote:
Later, Lorie discovered that an aunt of hers who lived seventy miles away had been moved to get down on her knees and pray! For a relative who was traveling.
Gah! Gah! GAH!!! The grammar! THE GRAMMAR!!!!
No, no! It wasn't the grammar, it was the aunt!

Arts "it's all relative" Myth

--------------------
Stupid, stupid rat creatures! - Bone
"The missionaries told us not to cut ourselves. It displeases Jesus." - Elsie Clews Parsons, Kiowa Tales, quoted in The Mourner's Dance, Katherine Ashenburg

Posts: 695 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth


Icon 14 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by callee:
I take my faith very seriously, and I'm just sick of all these pop glurgers acting like God is some sort of capricious genie and divine providence nothing more than the Jedi force. I mean, no wonder people are atheists.

Thank you; my sentiments exactly!!
Either God is some genie as in this glurge, or He's flying around in leotards waiting to save the day. [Roll Eyes]

Dawn--there's no need to fear!!--Storm

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noreen
We Three Blings


Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by callee:
What I don't like here is the inference about God. I mean, what is she really saying? That God foresaw that she was going to have an accident, and so he super-naturally inspired her aunt to start praying. If that was the kind of faith I had, I would really want to know this: instead of inspiring old aunty to pray, why didn't God just prevent the accident? And even if God had some reason for the accident, if GOd himself is inspiring the aunt to pray -- pray that God would protect the kids we can assume -- then why would God actually need the woman to pray? I mean, what is that? Did God say to her, "hello aunty, listen, your niece is about to be in a terrible accident, and since I happen to be an all-powerful God, I'd like to protect her and the kids, but I can only do it if you start praying, so, would you mind?" please. What kind of a God is that?

I take my faith very seriously, and I'm just sick of all these pop glurgers acting like God is some sort of capricious genie and divine providence nothing more than the Jedi force. I mean, no wonder people are atheists.

God can't do anything until a certain number of people have prayed to him. Sometimes God has to direct people to pray so that the critical prayer mass can be attained.

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Eryn unbuckled Makayla, the screaming baby, from her carseat---she had probably saved Makayla from serious injury by wrapping herself around the baby as the van rolled.

I thought that was the angels' job. Were they one short?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth


Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One angel had to stay with the aunt to ensure she did the required praying.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth


Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter H:
One angel had to stay with the aunt to ensure she did the required praying.

Oh. [Razz]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins
   


Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Urban Legends Reference Pages

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classic™ 6.7.2