snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Glurge Archive » Tell the angels to send me quarters, instead.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tell the angels to send me quarters, instead.
Tangueray and Whine
Deck the Malls

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Tangueray and Whine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tangueray and Whine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a sappy e-mail about pennies. It's probably been posted here before, so feel free to hurl random rotten fruits at me--but no pennies, please.

Remember this every time you pass that little penny in the parking lot. I always thought that it was for Good Luck, but I love this version better:

I found a penny today

Just laying on the ground.

But it's not just a penny,

this little coin I've found.

(If I find 99 more, I'll have a DOLLAR!)

Found pennies come from heaven,

That's what my Grandpa told me.

He said Angels toss them down.

Oh, how I loved that story.

("Told me" does not rhyme with "story," assmunch!)

He said when an Angel misses you,

They toss a penny down.

Sometimes just to cheer you up,

To make a smile out of your frown.

(And sometimes to see if they can hit you on the head.)

So, don't pass by that penny,

When you're feeling blue. It may be a penny from

heaven,

that an Angel's tossed to you.

(Or maybe someone dropped it and couldn't be bothered to pick it up. Yeah, I think that makes more sense.)

So now pass this on to the people who you care about and who you feel are Angels to you, I just did. An Angel is now watching over you.

Well, I certainly hope all of you feel loved because I'm passing this on to you. Don't you feel positively angelic now?

--------------------
If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?

Posts: 332 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
wow, that is just positively stupid. I think you should stone (with pennies) whoever sent this to you. [Frown]

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm told that a sock full of pennies makes a very nice object with which to bludgeon a person.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, here, I'll make it all better!

I got hit by a penny today,
Which knocked me to the ground.
But it isnít just a penny,
I realized while I frowned.

Demons conjure them from hell,
Thatís what my Grandpa always said;
We thought he was a raving loon,
But this Lincoln does have horns upon his head.

He said that when a Demonís feeling bored,
From sitting all day in Devil Classes,
They have a contest there in hell,
To knock mortals on their Ö um, butts.

So if you get beaned by a penny
And it makes you shout and holler,
Just remember how blessed you really are
That Demons donít use silver dollars.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It says, "So now pass this on to the people who you care about and who you feel are Angels to you, I just did. An Angel is now watching over you."

If I feel you're an angel and pass you this glurge, do you now owe me a penny? Annoy your acquaintances, family and friends for fun and profit!

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 605 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by detroitminstrel:
I'm told that a sock full of pennies makes a very nice object with which to bludgeon a person.

My husband says the same thing!

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other hand,it would explain why the economy is so bad.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 05 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If angels do drop pennies from Heaven then how come so many of them end up in the subway station? On the platform, in the train, near the escalator. [Confused]
Explain that glurge!!

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So I suppose the penny Homer Simpson found on the floor when he was ditching church, was from an angel.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the only creature to throw a cent was a skunk.

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tangueray and Whine
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Tangueray and Whine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tangueray and Whine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

-

quote:
*rimshot*

--------------------

Posts: 332 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NansJns
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

They toss a penny down.

To make a smile out of your frown.

If they want to cheer me up, why don't they throw hundred dollar bills? That would really make me smile! [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tangueray and Whine:
quote:

-

quote:
*rimshot*

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your server.

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NansJns:
If they want to cheer me up, why don't they throw hundred dollar bills? That would really make me smile! [Big Grin]

They're probably concerned about devaluing the currency. Just 'cause they're heavenly doesn't mean they're ignorant, you know.

They must have got a bit tetchy when we got rid of 1c and 2c coins in Aus though - it would have quintupled their expenses.

Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tangueray and Whine
Deck the Malls

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Tangueray and Whine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tangueray and Whine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You had 2-cent coins and nobody wrote a glurge about them?

--------------------

barney

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there anywhere where bank notes are tossed down by the angels?I s that where the saying came from-Pennies from heaven?
Well the topic certainly is a cheer up one! Thanks.

TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oy - I have an updated one. (Meaning it's crammed with Pictures Galore! Can't be a complete Glurge without friggin' angel JPEGS every five seconds!)

Penny Glurge

-

I found a penny today
laying on the ground.
But it's not just a penny,
this little coin I've found.

-

Found pennies come from heaven,
that's what my Grandpa told me.
He said Angels toss them down.
Oh, how I loved that story.

Penny Glurge picture

they toss a penny down;
to make a smile out of your frown.

Houses of the Holy looking angel

So, don't pass by that penny
when you're feeling blue.
It may be a penny from heaven
that an Angel's tossed to you.

Enough with the friggin' angels, already!

So now pass this on to people you care about and who you feel are Angels to you.

I just did.

An Angel is now watching over you.

Have A Great Day!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How many of those pennies land on people's heads, killing them instantly?

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You want to really cheer me up? Hearing "And i walked into the room, passing out hundred-dollar bills..."* and dropping hundreds my way. [Big Grin]

*100 points. [Wink]

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Big & Rich, Horse of a Different Color

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
How many of those pennies land on people's heads, killing them instantly?

That only happens when angels get drunk and throw them off the top of the Empire State Building.

And giggle maniacally about it.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where're my points, Casey?

[Big Grin]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FC
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FC   E-mail FC   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've gotta admit...I love the "lucky penny" myth.

Many times I've seen a person whose life is absolute misery see a penny on the ground, pick it up, and be cheered up as if their life is about to turn around. Why not? More power to them.

Posts: 45 | From: Puget Sound, WA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh...As if the glurge wasn't bad enough they have to through in all those creepy pictures.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Revolution 9

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So does the exchange rate affect this then? If so, according to some currency calculator thing I looked up, in order to be completely fair said angels would have to throw something like 0.5 pence at me, which frankly is no use to me, unless they throw two halfs at me, in which case I might be able to weld them back together and use the penny. [Wink] I hope so because I'm bloody skint, I need all the pennies I can get!! [lol]
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
Where're my points, Casey?

[Big Grin]

Seaboe

Pointage on the way. [Smile]

Ca "and this town ain't never gonna be the same..." sey

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Money falls from sky on Clearwater beach.

quote:
Kevin Shelton knows the method he chooses to share his wealth is controversial.

Despite it, Sunday, he gave away more than $10,000 his way.

He's soft-spoken yet wears a vest with $2-bills strapped on.

He says he wants to inspire people to be generous and shows the thick wads of cash stuffed in his cargo shorts. He shows the tubes strapped to his waist that will blast mostly $2 bills mixed with some $1s and a few $100s into the air on an otherwise sleepy Sunday.

Perhaps this is the guy who knows how useless the pennies from heaven really are....

--------------------

Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm... does this glurge mean that the US$ is the official currency in Heaven ?

Rubbish.

Everybody knows it's the Swiss Franc.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess any coin you get is from an angel. If you get paper money, chances are Satan's involved somehow:

-

Trish "Or whatever the equivolent to Satan is in Asia" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When the angels throw the pennies down, they probably laugh at us while we scramble for them, kind of like we do when we go to Mexico and throw pesos at the beggar children. I mean, not really "we". I'm speaking generically of American tourists. Ugly Americans! Not good people like me who would never do something like that!

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages