snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Glurge Archive » Puppy Sighs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Puppy Sighs
scooterj
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 501 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My ultra-Christian aunt who glurges me frequently sent me this one today, I didn't see it in the archives. Strangely this is the first one she's sent that didn't directly mention Jesus.

------------------------------

PUPPY SIGHS

"We have plenty of puppies, if that's what she's looking for,"

"I know. We have seen most of them," she said in frustration.

Just then the young child came walking in the office.

"Well, did you find one?"

"No, not this time," she said with sadness in her voice.

"Can we come back on the weekend?"

The two women looked at each other, shook their heads and laughed.

"You never know when we will get more dogs."

Her mother had already started down the hall lo leave just as another volunteer handed one last puppy to the little girl.

"Oh, yes," said the girl after a moment.

"This is the one. This is my new puppy!"

A cheer went up from the volunteers. Startled by all the commotion, Mom came running.

"This is the one, Mom," her daughter told her.

"What? Are you sure? How do you know?" she asked.

"It's the puppy sighs!"

"Yes, it the same size as all the other puppies you held the last few weeks," Mom said.

"No, not 'size,' 'sighs.' When I held him in my arms he sighed," she said. "So?" "Don't you remember? When I asked you one day what love is, you told me, "Love depends on the sighs of your heart. The more you love, the bigger the sighs!"

The two women looked at each other for a moment. Mom didn't know whether to laugh or cry. As she stooped down to hug her child she
did a little of both.

"Mom every time you hold me I sigh. When you and Daddy come home from work and hug each other you both sigh. I knew I would find the right puppy if it sighed when I held it in my arms," she said.

Then holding the puppy up close to her face she said, "Mom, he loves me. I heard the sighs of his heart."

Close your eyes for a moment and think about the love that makes you sigh. I not only find it in the arms of my loved ones, but in the caress of a sunset, the kiss of the moonlight and the gentle brush of cool air on a hot day.

They are the sighs of your heart. The more you love, the bigger the sighs.

"SIGHS OF THE HEART" ~ by Bob Perks

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duck-Billed Barrytown

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Noooooo! I want so badly to laugh at this and make fun of it, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it touching.

Happy animal stories get me EVERY...SINGLE...TIME.

Barrytown

Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, luckily, I seem to have more of an immunity than you do. I can't help but think of all the other perfectly good dogs that might have been put to sleep because this girl was looking for one who "sighed in his heart." If I were a mother, I wouldn't leave the puppy-choosing process entirely up to my daughter, either. Why are they adopting a puppy, anyway? Not only are puppies more likely to be adopted, but they're also harder to take care of. As much as this little girl says she loves this puppy right now, I doubt she's responsible enough to take care of it on her own. They would do better to get a slightly older dog that would not only appreciate being adopted more, but would also be more adaptive to training. IF this puppy is small enough that a little 5 (?) year old girl can comfortable hold him (and he's "sighing" instead of wiggling all over the place) then it sounds like it still needs a lot of care. But then, considering that my dog (adopted at 10 months old) helped raise me, maybe I'm just a little biased.

Oval "dog's life" Escent

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duck-Billed Barrytown

Icon 99 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey! Stop interfering with my suspension of disbelief! [Laughing out loud]
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mallardjusted Ovalescent:
Well, luckily, I seem to have more of an immunity than you do. I can't help but think of all the other perfectly good dogs that might have been put to sleep because this girl was looking for one who "sighed in his heart."
Oval "dog's life" Escent

How many dogs were put to sleep because the girl adopted one dog instead of...oh yes, adopting one dog?

Beach...I did the math and I get 0...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blt

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:
Well, luckily, I seem to have more of an immunity than you do. I can't help but think of all the other perfectly good dogs that might have been put to sleep because this girl was looking for one who "sighed in his heart."
Oval "dog's life" Escent

How many dogs were put to sleep because the girl adopted one dog instead of...oh yes, adopting one dog?

I think Ovalescent was refering to her choice of a puppy rather than an older dog. Cute puppies have a much better chance of being adopted than one thats grown, but the grown ones would often be the better choice. But then most kids go for the cutness factor of the puppy....which is why they are easier to adopt.
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blt:
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:
Oval "dog's life" Escent

I think Ovalescent was refering to her choice of a puppy rather than an older dog. Cute puppies have a much better chance of being adopted than one thats grown, but the grown ones would often be the better choice. But then most kids go for the cutness factor of the puppy....which is why they are easier to adopt.
Well somebody has to adopt the puppies. And she still reduced the population in the pound by one.

Having spent a lot of time at an animal shelter I can tell you, at least in our case, it isn't people wanting only puppies that sends older animals to be put down. It is almost always a sever flaw in the older dog. Sadly, this usually results from the way the previous owner treated the dog.

Beach...puppies are more work though, no doubt about that...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Stressa, ducking all questions

This reminded me of a *true* story from my childhood, when our dog smiled. (Awwww, glurg-y, ain't it?)

Puppy Smiles

I was about eight, and we were unwrapping presents on Christmas morning, when our basenji pooch, Buffy, came into the living room with an odd grin on her face. Thinking it was a Christmas miracle (I was a dramatic kid and was always looking for such things), I said "Look, everybody! Buffy's smiling!" Right then, she barfed all over the living room: wrapping paper bits (why did she eat this?), Christmas candy, dog food, and table scraps from our breakfast. We had to scramble to get our presents out of the line of fire (she really let loose!), and my mom was cursing like a sailor as she cleaned up after the poor thing. To this day, someone always mentions the year Buffy smiled during the holidays. We all laugh our butts off, year after year.

I'm going to hell for this one, but I was probably headed there anyway - Stressa

midibid

I have a similar heart-warming Christmas story: one Christmas my little brother was sidelined by a stomach flu for most of the holidays, but by Christmas was feeling well enough to go out and play in the snow with me and the dog. He had just finished a bowl of peppermint ice cream which proved to be too much for him, and he threw up in the snow. It being very cold, this froze almost instantly. The dog thought this was the greatest thing ever and immediately began lapping it up. The sight of the dog happily eating frozen, bright pink spew set my brother off again, and both he and the dog ended up having to be bodily carried from the scene. To this day, my brother won't touch peppermint ice cream.

mid"so help me, I just turned this into a dog vomit thread"ibid [Thwack]

Ms Stressa, ducking all questions

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by midibid:

mid"so help me, I just turned this into a dog vomit thread"ibid

Well, I think it's funnier and more real than that 'sighing puppy' story! The only puppy I had that sighed a lot was very sick, and died three weeks after we got it from the pound.

" So, more dog vomit, I say!"-Stressa [Laughing out loud]

judical
Deck the Malls

Icon 15 posted      Profile for judical   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yuck.
Posts: 378 | From: texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duck-Billed Barrytown:
Noooooo! I want so badly to laugh at this and make fun of it, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it touching.

Happy animal stories get me EVERY...SINGLE...TIME.

Barrytown

They get me too. But I'm not going to read this thread again, so feel free to rip it to shreads.

Sister "read it, liked it, moved on" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kewl ducky default icon!

Anyway roflmbo at the dog puke stories. [Laughing out loud]

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
T.E.

Icon 19 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dog's biggest barfing incident happened on the 4th of July. Actually, it happened because a mentally handicapped individual fed her copious amounts of hot dogs, hamburgers, etc., because he wanted her to be his friend. He 'fessed up the next week.

I'm sure I could fashion this into glurge if I tried -- how a handicapped person knows more about love than the rest of us ...

T. "You gotta buy it [Big Grin] " E.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages