snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Glurge Archive » The Fence

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Fence
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 96 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Fence

There once was a little boy with a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him hammer a nail in the back fence every time he lost control.

The first day the boy drove 37 nails into the fence. Then it gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.

Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. His father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper.

The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone. The father led his son to the fence.

"You've done well, but look at the holes in the fence," he said. "When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like the nail holes. You can put a knife in a person and draw it out. But it won't matter how many times you say you're sorry. The wound is still there.

"A verbal wound can be as bad as a physical one."

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why are so many glurges so violent?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
nail-a-chow (aka reglurgitation)

Kat"I knew I'd nailed this one before"hryn

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
neglected middle child
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Shouldn't the guy be happy that his son actually learned how to control his raging temper? 37 nails in one day, that musta been one angry boy he had!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeowulfGirl
Happy Holly Days

Icon 601 posted      Profile for BeowulfGirl   E-mail BeowulfGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Man, at least he could have had the kid working on something productive, like a coffee table or a cabinit. Now all of his neighbors will think he's just weird.

--Beowulf "does he wash cars, too?" Girl

--------------------
Please visit my blog and leave a comment! It's all pretty and pink and quite funny. Go here: http://beowulfgirl.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1790 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
37 nails in one day? Lazy-ass kid.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paul (the Mouse) Unwin

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
37 nails in one day? Lazy-ass kid.

SH! Don't make him angry!

Paul "you wouldn't like him when he's angry" Unwin

Scarlett30ca

Icon 02 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neglected middle child:
Shouldn't the guy be happy that his son actually learned how to control his raging temper? 37 nails in one day, that musta been one angry boy he had!

No kidding. I'm thinking our young Tom Sawyer here might benefit more from some actual professional counselling...

Scarlett ("No more nails! Good for you, son...wait, where's the cat?" [Eek!] )

Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hambubba, Too Sexy for my Fat:
You can put a knife in a person and draw it out. But it won't matter how many times you say you're sorry. The wound is still there.

My deep mistrust of glurges makes me want to test this out. Any volunteers? And another thing - assuming this kid is awake 16 hours a day, he went less than a half hour in between losing his temper. Seems a little extreme to me!

Oval "Since reading the new posts on the glurge board, I've only driven five" Escent

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say this is one of my favorite little stories. Having been in an abusive relationship, I think it demonstrates really well how even verbal abuse can leave scars, and that saying you are sorry does not make the hurt go away.

It meant a lot to me the first time I heard it, and at that time in my life- it was a wake-up call I really needed.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages