snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Inboxer Rebellion Archive » The Politics of Shopping

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Politics of Shopping
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With the holidays upon us, some of us might wish to be mindful of whom we patronize relative to their 2000 Election Cycle political donations, as reported by the Center for Responsive Politics.

Shopping:

*Price Club/Costco donated $225K, of which 99% went to democrats;
WalMart, $467K, 97% to republicans;
K-Mart, $524K, 86% to republicans;
Home Depot, $298K, 89% to republicans;
Target, $226K, 70% to republicans;
Circuit City Stores, $261K, 95% to republicans;
*Rite Aid, $517K, 60% to democrats;
*Magla Products (Stanley tools, Mr. Clean), $22K, 100% to democrats;
3M Co., $281K, 87% to republicans;
Hallmark Cards, $319K, 92% to republicans;
Amway, $391K, 100% republican;
Kohler Co. (plumbing fixtures), $283K, 100% republicans;
*Warnaco (undergarments), $55K, 73% to democrats;
B.F. Goodrich (tires), $215K, 97% to republicans;
*Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, $153K, 99% to democrats;
* Estee Lauder, $448K, 95% to democrats;
* Guess ? Inc., $145K, 98% to democrats;
* Calvin Klein, $78K, 100% to democrats;
* Liz Claiborne, Inc., $34K, 97% to democrats;
* Levi Straus, $26K, 97% to democrats;
* Olan Mills, $175K, 99% to democrats.
Spirits:

Coors, $174K, 92% to republicans; (also Budweiser - sd)
* Gallo Winery, $337K, 95% to democrats;
Brown-Forman Corp. (Southern Comfort, Jack Daniels, Bushmills, Korbel wines - as well as Lennox China, Dansk, Gorham Silver), $644K, 80% to republicans;
* Southern Wine &Spirits, $213K, 73% to democrats;
* Joseph E. Seagrams &Sons (includes beverage business, plus considerable media interests), $2M+, 67% democratic;
Restaurants/food companies:

Pilgrim's Pride Corp. (chicken), $366K, 100% >republican;
Outback Steakhouse, $641K, 95% republican;
* Sonic Corporation, $83K, 98% democrat;
Tricon Global Restaurants (KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell), $133K, 87% republican;
Brinker International (Maggiano's, Brinker Cafe, Chili's, On the Border, Macaroni Grill, Crazymel's, Corner Baker, EatZis), $242K, 83% republican;
* Triarc Companies (Arby's, T.J. Cinnamon's, Pasta Connections), $112K, 96% democrats;
Waffle House, $279K, 100% republican;
McDonald's Corp., $197K, 86% republican;
Darden Restaurants (Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Smokey Bones, Bahama Breeze), $121K, 89% republican;
Hotels:

* Hyatt Corporation, $187K, 80% to democrats;
Mariott International, $323K, 81% to republicans;
Holiday Inns, $38K, 71% to republicans.
Choose Blue. Shop locally and shop BLUE

Use the US Post Office, not Fedex or UPS
Use the corner hardware store- Home Depot is a huge contributer to the GOP.

Please send to like minded friends and urge them to draw a line in the sand. 80% of annual !! You can make a difference now.retail business is done in the next three weeks!

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mele Kalikimaka
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Use the US Post Office, not Fedex or UPS

Yeah, i'll use them alright....when they quit shredding my Import Tuner magazines.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard of the center for Responsive Politics. Anybody got a URL or anything so we can investigate the veracity of the claims of this?

Also, who is "Blue?" What is meant by "shopping locally?" And what if I don't have a corner hardware store near me?

- Pseudo (USPS just takes too long anyway) Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
Never heard of the center for Responsive Politics. Anybody got a URL or anything so we can investigate the veracity of the claims of this?

Open Secrets, "Your guide to money in politics". Start searching with PACs to find company data (companies can't directly donate -- they have to go through PACs).

UPS data: 27% to Democrats, 73% to Republicans
WalMart data: 2 471 423$ in reciepts, 22% to Democrats, 78% to Republicans

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So the data seems to be true (at least some of it).

The real question is: Should we really give a darn about this?

- Pseudo (and what about "shopping locallly?") Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That depends, Pseudo_Croat. Do you have any problems with your money going to indirectly support causes you are against?

There are certain questions only *you* can answer, and this is one of 'em.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I buy a Martha Stewart plate from Kmart will they cancel each other out?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 600 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmmm:
If I buy a Martha Stewart plate from Kmart will they cancel each other out?

[lol]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I were to pay any attention to this list, the people I'd avoid buying from aren't the ones who gave the most to R's or the ones who gave the most to D's. I'd avoid buying the ones who weren't lopsided. I could respect someone who gives money to the candidate that he sincerely believes is better, but when you give tons of money to both candidates, you're blatantly seeking favor.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
www.buyblue.org has got a lot of this info, too.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
That depends, Pseudo_Croat. Do you have any problems with your money going to indirectly support causes you are against?

There are certain questions only *you* can answer, and this is one of 'em.

Why is this so? Can't it be answered so as to cover all of humanity? What I mean by this is would giving a rat's butt about that sort of thing benefit humanity at large? That's the way I usually make major decisions.

Beisdes, if you buy goods from many different places, it'll all balance out in the end, so the point would be moot.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------

Ciara...
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ciara...   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
Why is this so? Can't it be answered so as to cover all of humanity?

Can anything be answered so as to cover all of humanity?

If you don't want to support [company] because they support [politic party], don't. Why base it on what the rest of humanity might do - especially concerning an issue of little importance to the world outside of the US?

Ci "recognises three companies listed, purchases nothing from them anyway" ara

--------------------
-Oh, we'd all like to lick the great Superman, Jimmy.

Posts: 2298 | From: Eastern Scandinavia (Sverige) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive me, but I'm liberal in the party.

I get confused when it comes to the government talk of numbers. That's why I skipped voting for Bush or Kerry. It's nonsense to me.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Pseudo-Croat on this. I buy goods and services on the basis of whether they are any use to me. What the owners of the company chose to do with their profits is their business.

Did anyone else find the list of donors deeply unsurprising? Midwest brewers supporting republicans? NY Perfumiers supporting democrats? Whatever next?

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about "XXX" locations?

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueByrd
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Also, who is "Blue?"
*Waves at PC* Hiya.

Blue "Enchantée" Byrd

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:

Taxes, all the time. Can't seem to do anything about that one, why worry about the other?

James Powell

Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Blue" is the colour of the democratic party

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Blue" is the color the media uses to depict states with democratic victories, not the color of the party itself.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't corporate donations illegal?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RoofingGuy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RoofingGuy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
Aren't corporate donations illegal?

Well...
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadshochet:
Open Secrets, "Your guide to money in politics". Start searching with PACs to find company data (companies can't directly donate -- they have to go through PACs).

Posts: 724 | From: Ontario, CAN | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages