snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Inboxer Rebellion Archive » Check your receipts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Check your receipts
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 303 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This didn't come up when I searched both the message board and the Snopes homepage.

CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS

Something happened to me this past weekend that I wanted to alert
everyone I know to be on the look-out for while shopping at Wal
Mart, especially during the busy holiday season. This trip I had a buggy
full buying stuff to outfit the deer camp and the usual purchases
for home, in other words I had over $200 worth of goods to buy. When I
checked out, I ran my Wal Mart credit card through the machine and
pressed "No" to the question of "Do you want $20 cash back?"

The checker fooled around with the register and then asked me to run
the card again because it did not work the first time. I don't recall
pressing "No" again or even if the question came up on the card terminal. My
biggest concern at that time was making sure I picked up all the bags around
that carousel they use to bag your purchases. While I was moving my
bags back to the cart, I didn't pay any attention to my receipt.

Anyway, the next morning I looked at my receipt (I usually just throw
it away without looking at it!) There was a line on it that read
"$20.00 Cash Back" and another that said "Change Due 20.00." I
called the manager and told him what happened and that I did not
request $20.00 back, nor did I get $20.00 back.

He did not seem a bit surprised. It seems that is a scheme the
cashiers use to slip $20.00 in their pockets at the customers expense.
The manager said I could come back to the store for the credit but now I
wonder
how many times this has happened to me in the past that I did not catch. I
am
not sure if the cashier can override the "No" or if she charged the
extra $20.00 during the second swipe of the card. At least this time, she
got caught the next day but I would have loved to have caught her in the act
the
day it happened.

Please pay attention to your receipt and don't let these thieves
steal your hard earned money!!

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pssst - look under "what's new"
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cash-a-chow

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't panic at all - cashiers at most chain retail establishments (certainly in the UK) have pretty tight security and are usually monitoring transactions. Even if there was little monitoring, most cashiers sign on with ID - one complaint from a customer and the gig's up, they's lose their job and probably be prosecuted - hardly worth a few bucks.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 101 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc J.:
Pssst - look under "what's new"

[dunce]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember that happening. My friendly co-worker supervisor got it last year.

I'm her driver and we went Wal-Mart shopping together one day. We got all our stuff. We got to the cashier and she used her Wal-Mart card. She swiped it with her charges and it said that $20 question. I believe she did say "NO" and the next month with the bill, she looked at her statement and it said she took out $20 on her Wal-Mart card.

She and I went directly there and asked 3 people including the cashier responsible where that $20 went. It was some computer glitch, but I believe she got her $20 at the end from the store manager and an apology.

And if I'm not mistaken, she said she will never ever use her Wal-Mart card again. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I asked her about it and here's what happened.

She said she never knew about the "Cash Back" ideal in the card.

She contacted the Wal-Mart dispute number and she talked with the Wal-Mart people in the local store. She and I went there up to 5 times and finally she said she was going to suit them and said she was going to do horrible things like bringing camera crews and stuff in.

The GM didn't want to continue making her upset, so he pulled $20 out of his own pocket and gave it to her.

"And if I'm not mistaken, she said she will never ever use her Wal-Mart card again." is true too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds more like she's an idiot who got her way by being loud and rude enough.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Martha Washington
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ignorant? Rude?? Because she wanted her $20 back and it seems they didn't want to cooperate? I once stopped for some gas after a long day of long lines, crowded stores and four kids in the car. I paid for the gas and my kids began fighting as usual. I ended up getting back in the car and driving off. I realized I forgot the gas after checking my gas needle. I went back and told the manager what happened. He was very cynical and didn't believe me. I told him I was just there and the pump number and amount. I told him he could look at my gas needle and see it almost on E and he could check his cameras and see that I didn't pump the gas. He was still an A-hole so yes I made a scene demanding either I get my gas or give me my money back. I carried on enough and he let me get my gas. Call it ignorance or rude behavior but sometimes it seems that's what it takes. I had paid for $7 worth of gas. Hell you figure if I wanted to scam him I would have said $15 or $20. I feel you are wrong to call this woman an idiot for trying to get back what is rightfully hers. It says she went there five times. I would have been frustrated and pissed off way beyond that point. It's wrong and unnecessary not to mention insulting.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Martha Washington

Last month I was going through my receipts for no particular reason and found out that the grocery store charged me twice for the same cut of meat. It was for a pack of $7.49 pack of pork loins. From now on I always check my receipts.
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was with my Parents when they were at a Wal-Mark to fill their car with gas. The got a pre-paided card for $50 worth of gas. They used it once for about $15. I was with them the second time and the card would not work. So while we were driving she was calling Wal-Mart to find out why her card was not working. The answer was she used it all. The records showed she used it 3 times in the same day and in less than 15 min. You would think that they would have relised that something was wrong and fixed, but no, she must have intended to fill up 3 cars with gas. I have never heard wether she go the money refuned or not, but I do know she wrote some nasty letter to the company when she got home. I also beleive she has not shopped at Wal-Mart since then.
Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jews in Space

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
She and I went there up to 5 times and finally she said she was going to suit them and said she was going to do horrible things like bringing camera crews and stuff in.

You were gonna dress them in Tuxedos and get the camera crrews in? WTF?!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages