snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Inboxer Rebellion Archive » My first fraud email....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My first fraud email....
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...sent to my business address!
-------------------------------------------------

HELLO xxxxxx,
I WILL LIKE TO PLACE AN ORDER IN YOUR CHARMING STORES FOR MY CLIENT AND MY STORES IN LAGOS-NIGERIA. I WILL REALLY APPREACITE IF YOU CAN PLACE ME THE TOTAL COST OF THE ITEMS. PLEASE I NEED 24 DOZENS** OF XXXX ITEMS INCLUDING THE SHIPPING COST VIA#UPS OR USPS.
THEN I PROVIDE YOU MY CERTIFIED CREDIT CARD INFORMATION FOR YOU TO CHARGE, I WANT YOU TO ENTERTAIN THIS ORDER SO LOVELY
------------------------------------------------
**24 dozen of the requested items would have been over 10, 000 (CAD) and shipping (yes, I checked lol) would have come to 2,000.
[Eek!] [Mad]

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Jay
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So will you entertain this order so lovely?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lara

I work for a bank, in the merchant card processing department. You'd be AMAZED at how many businesses do entertain these orders.

If I had a dime for every time one of them called and said " I shipped this huge order to Nigeria (Indonesia, Russia, Hong Kong...), and now I find out the card was stolen! It's not fair!"

All they see are the dollar signs, and they don't even look further. Also, the AVS system mentioned in the article about Nigerian fraud on the site doesn't actually work on overseas transactions, since most foreign banks don't support it.

Sad but true...

Nolly
Fin City

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Jay:
So will you entertain this order so lovely?

Riiiight... [lol] I must say though, that pre-Snopes I might have 'entertained' the order [Embarrassed] . Lucky for me I've been an avid reader of Snopes longer than I've owned the business!

quote:
Originally posted by Lara:
I work for a bank, in the merchant card processing department. You'd be AMAZED at how many businesses do entertain these orders.

If I had a dime for every time one of them called and said " I shipped this huge order to Nigeria (Indonesia, Russia, Hong Kong...), and now I find out the card was stolen! It's not fair!"

All they see are the dollar signs, and they don't even look further. Also, the AVS system mentioned in the article about Nigerian fraud on the site doesn't actually work on overseas transactions, since most foreign banks don't support it.

Sad but true...

That is sad. It's also why I don't ship outside North America. [Frown]

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, what was it that they were trying to order?

And (for future reference) how would you avoid falling into the traps that scammers use (such as this) and still be unafraid to ship outside your country?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
So, what was it that they were trying to order?

And (for future reference) how would you avoid falling into the traps that scammers use (such as this) and still be unafraid to ship outside your country?

- Pseudo_Croat

They were trying to order 24 dozen (1st red flag) assorted pieces of lingerie. They never specified exactly which items (2nd red flag) and were only interested in how fast I could get it to them (3rd red flag).

To avoid falling into a trap, I'd only consider orders under $5000US (or equivalent) and accept only money orders or PayPal as payment. They have a seller protection policy if the address is confirmed. If it's unconfirmed, I wouldn't ship.

I've sent the Snopes page link to all my suppliers and and to every other addressee in the email (there were 4 others).
I hope they read it.

--------------------

Tangueray and Whine
Deck the Malls

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Tangueray and Whine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tangueray and Whine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
24 dozen assorted lingerie, and they need it in a hurry!! [lol] Must be some party, eh? [Big Grin]

--------------------
If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?

Posts: 332 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sebastiansbelle

I've seen that one before. There's no way anybody could be fooled by that one!
Lara

quote:
Originally posted by Nolly:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
[qb]

- Pseudo_Croat

Also, some banks will let you set up check escrow accounts.

The best advice for being unafraid to ship outside of your country is that if the order looks too good to be true, it probably is.

That, and limit your outgoing orders to the amount you can afford to write off. Because you have no protection.

[Frown]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages