snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Inboxer Rebellion Archive » Record for longest-running hoax

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Record for longest-running hoax
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 304 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hundreds of public officials and politicians across Wales have been duped by a hoax chain letter that has clogged up the postal system.

The letter purports to be in support of John Craggs, a seven-year-old boy with terminal cancer from Surrey who is attempting to get into the Guinness Book of Records for receiving the highest number of compliments slips. But John does not exist.

Article here

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Abe Zapruder, You're Fired.
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it amusing that Craig Shergold's name has evolved to John Craig over the last 15 years. It's like playing the Telephone Game on a grand scale.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Abe Zapruder, You're Fired.:
I find it amusing that Craig Shergold's name has evolved to John Craig over the last 15 years. It's like playing the Telephone Game on a grand scale.

I'm trying to collect the most greeting cards in history purple monkey dishwasher. [Smile]

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tangueray and Whine
Deck the Malls

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Tangueray and Whine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tangueray and Whine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1989?? You'd think people would catch on that, by now, the kid either got better or died, and in either case no longer needs or wants their stupid letters.

--------------------
If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?

Posts: 332 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but shouldn't the record for longest-running hoax be going to something like the Blood Libel or the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion?"

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What is a "compliment slip?"

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:

It's like a Freudian slip, only leaves you with a feeling of self-esteem.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I think the longest running hoax has to be the Teo Taxil hoax.

It has been used for over 100 years now... and I am sure there have to be others.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
Sorry, I think the longest running hoax has to be the Teo Taxil hoax.

It has been used for over 100 years now... and I am sure there have to be others.

And Jack Chick willing, it will keep going for another 100 years more! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JR
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR   E-mail JR       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What no love for the Shroud of Turin?

Now, if astrology counts as a "hoax", it's got thousands of years running.

--------------------
Semper ubi sub ubi

Posts: 1175 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/mutilate.htm

The true record holder.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ASL
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh, well, it may not be the longest running, but it sure is going strong. The "moon landing" has been around for 35 years come July. Next thing you know, some jackass will try to convince me they've captured Saddam and are holding him in a secure location.

Aoi "The sad part is, some people probably believe me" SonLee

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lulu the Black Mage

I thought the longest running hoax was organized religion?

*ducks the thrown items*

Nolly
Fin City

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Electrotiger:
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:

It's like a Freudian slip, only leaves you with a feeling of self-esteem.
YOMANK!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Lulu the Black Mage:
I thought the longest running hoax was organized religion?

*ducks the thrown items*

Good one! [lol]

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I say the longest running hoax is:

"Honey, your Daddy and I don't pick favorites. We love you and your brother equally."

Yeah, riiiight.

Barring that, there's the ever popular:

"I know you feel terrible, but if you get up and go to school, you'll feel better."

Did anyone ever feel better??!!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Trouble

And here I thought it was "Wow, you're the best I've ever had." Or maybe "It's so big!"

I am going to hell. *sigh*

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages