snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Inboxer Rebellion Archive » Guns vs. Doctors (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Guns vs. Doctors
Dark Blue
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Blue   E-mail Dark Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spam me, slam me:
If I break my leg, find a funny looking infection on my skin, or notice that I suddenly grew a third testacle overnight, I'll take my chances with the doctor. If I don't like what they say, I'll go to the gun for a second opinion.

Agreed, but refer to my post above for instances where my gun would be more useful than my doctor

--------------------
I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. -- On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs by LTC. Dave Grossman, USA (Ret)

Posts: 675 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Blue:
quote:
Originally posted by Angl Hearts and Minds Rdr:
Newspaper reports are still anecdotal evidence.

Yes but should still be varifiable if the incident actually happened or not.

Are not newspapr articles one of the first steps we take here to determine if something is true or not? I'm certainly not suggesting we stop there by any means, but it is a jumping off point.

Right, it's a great jumping off point. But, the NRA's use of newspaper reports as if they're actual data, I think, contributes to my position that the numbers of lives saved by guns in the hand of civilians is confabulated.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Blue Jam
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Jinxed:
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jam:
How's about
[...]* UK deaths from guns vs US deaths from guns.

Not a truly valid comparison. A better one would be of every country over a series of years. That would prevent someone from manipulating the data by purposefully comparing a country with a low crime rate for a given year with a country with a high crime rate. You'd also need to separate deaths from legal guns from deaths from illegal guns (and probably also have to separate law enforcement usage out).

It's about the same as comparing a year where the UK suffered heavily from terrorist attacks to a year the US was free of terrorist attacks and concluding that the monarchy, tea, or something else uniquely UK leads to terrorism.

Compare as many years as you want with regards Britain vs USA on gun deaths!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
quote:
Originally posted by mizake the mizan:
is it pick on doctors day?

quote:
"Why Lawyers are Better than Doctors"

Lawyers provide an optional service. If you wish to obtain legal assitance, you hire a lawyer. However, you are also free to research the law and defend yourself if you so choose.

Dcotors have formed a cartel to make their service mandatory. You must see a doctor to obtain a perscription. You are not allowed to do your own research and choose your own treatment.

Actually, it's perfectly legal for you to perform surgery on yourself. However, like defending yourself in a felony trial, it's a really bad idea.

Silas

Try writing yourself a prescription.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages