snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Comcast billing department in the doghouse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comcast billing department in the doghouse
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And the customer service award does NOT go to ...
When LaChania Govan's Comcast service wasn't working, she called for help. And called. And called. It was a frustrating process, and then she got the bill.

Scott Goldstein
Chicago Tribune
17 August 2005

Until recently, LaChania Govan's complaints about Comcast's service seemed relatively tame. The 25-year-old Elgin mother of two said she was put on hold, disconnected, even transferred to the Spanish language line.

But after persistent problems with her digital recording system forced her to make dozens of calls to the cable company in July, her August bill came with a change really worth complaining about: In place of her name were the words "Bitch Dog."

[...]

http://tinyurl.com/9mg8j

--------------------
Se non č vero, č ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tomcat
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tomcat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tomcat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not surprising... Comcast sucks.

--------------------
www.audiowaveprod.com

You can go 'round the world,
You can go 'round the block.
But all I want to hear,
Is some '55 rock...

*Cub Koda

Posts: 170 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LolaRennt
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LolaRennt   E-mail LolaRennt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I back that up - I know of several billing issues that my friends have had, as well as poor customer service when it comes to getting Comcast out to do work for them. My boyfriend had that yesterday where Comcast was supposed to do something for him. They said that they would call to let him know the window of time. They called him at 5 to tell him they'd have to reschedule since he didn't answer his phone (not true - they never called in the first place). He told them not to bother.

I don't know how Comcast got so widespread in Dallas but I wish they would go away.

LR

Posts: 780 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fitz
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fitz   E-mail Fitz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They do suck. When I lived in my apt they told us they would give us cable at a really great rate for 6 months. When the bill came it was about $25 over what they told us it would be. I called them and they claimed that they didn't offer the rate that I signed up with. I told them I had my copy of the paper that I signed and could fax it to them. I had to fax it 3 diferent times on 3 diferent days to get them to fix my bill and give me the correct rate. Every time I'd go to fax it they would say that they will call me back within the day and I'd never hear from them.
Posts: 45 | From: Kennesaw, GA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soviet Kitsch

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I laughed when I heard this.

You know this lady was being really awful and the CS rep she was talking to got mad and changed her name. Perhaps meant to delete it. And didn't for whatever reason.

I'm not saying she had it coming to her, but I know I've wanted to do this a few times.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So it's not just me! A couple of months ago, we were having trouble with our Comcast internet connection on a Saturday morning, and the customer service woman I spoke to was astoundingly rude. It's not uncommon to get a little condescension from techie types (remember that character Jimmy Fallon used to play on SNL? "Mooove!"), but this girl (and I call her a "girl" because she sounded about sixteen years old) was treating me like an absolute idiot about esoteric hardware matters that I really had no reason to understand. At one point I told her, "I don't have a lot of specialized computer knowledge--if I did I wouldn't be calling you--but I do have fairly good communication skills, and if you will listen to me, and stop using technical jargon that you know good and well I don't understand, I think we might be able to get my internet working." She only became ruder after that, so I eventually gave up, asked for her name, and hung up. Never once did she give me anything resembling an apology.

I will say that our local customer Comcast administrators are usually pretty attentive. The following Monday I spoke with an administrator at our local Comcast office about the rude girl, and he apologized profusely and assured me he'd follow up with her. I never called back to make sure, but he seemed quite sincere that he would take action. I told him I wasn't trying to get anyone fired, but that she struck me as someone who was extremely young and who needed to get some specific training on dealing with unhappy customers. I mean, think about it. Whether they work in billing or in tech support, their jobs are probably at least 80% talking to frustrated people. They'd best learn how to deal with uncomfortable situtations with a little professionalism.

In related news, my husband told me at lunch today that, for some reason he couldn't decipher, our latest Comcast bill is nearly three times what it should be. Oh, goody! I get to talk to Comcast Customer Service again!

Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, I am so going to be in the minority here.

I have had nothing but great service with Comcast. If I call, my call is answered within a short time frame, less then a few minutes. If I need to speak to a tech person and im not sure how to word the problem into a question they will help me out or suggest what I mean and usually they guess right.

If they give me a time that they are suppose to come out, they actually show up.

If I have a problem with my bill, wrong amount they take it off and actually give me a credit for the whole amount of the bill, not just the mistake, I have gotten 3 months of free cable and internet access this way. This has happen only twice.

Like I said maybe I have been very lucky. I havent had to call them to many times and when I have I have spoken to someone polite and friendly who will do idle chit chat while waiting for something.

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enchanting_eyes:

I have had nothing but great service with Comcast. If I call, my call is answered within a short time frame, less then a few minutes. If I need to speak to a tech person and im not sure how to word the problem into a question they will help me out or suggest what I mean and usually they guess right.

*blink* *blink*
I didn't know Comcast serviced VA [Eek!] I had Comcast when I was in MD, and I miss it terribly since I moved to VA. I thought Cox was the only provider in Fairfax

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gift-wrapped smittykins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gift-wrapped smittykins     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, this makes me *almost* glad I have Time Warner... [Roll Eyes]

ET fix typo.

--------------------
"We're all entitled to a few eccentricities, provided they don't harm anyone, break the law, or cause a public nuisance"--James Qwilleran, The Cat Who Dropped A Bombshell(Lillian Jackson Braun)
Member AAMAH

Posts: 352 | From: Seneca Falls, NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nix611

quote:
Originally posted by Enchanting_eyes:

If they give me a time that they are suppose to come out, they actually show up.

If I have a problem with my bill, wrong amount they take it off and actually give me a credit for the whole amount of the bill, not just the mistake, I have gotten 3 months of free cable and internet access this way. This has happen only twice.

Like I said maybe I have been very lucky. I havent had to call them to many times and when I have I have spoken to someone polite and friendly who will do idle chit chat while waiting for something.

ITA, I've had nothing but excellent service from Comcast. I've had to call a few times regarding billing or my old box wouldn't play an OnDemand movie correctly, things of that nature.

Before, when I lived in Pittsburgh, we had Adelphia. Now *they* are horrible, ugh!

BethanyAnn

I went to college in VA, and we had Comcast. When my roomates and I had problems w/ comcast (billing) we would TRY to call all the phone numbers they would have listed on the bill....NONE of the numbers worked.

Now, in NC I have Time-Warner, thank god.

RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We've had Comcast cable TV for a while now, and it sure beats the people who supplied cable for the city before. Never had any problem with billing or anything else,
Just got comcast internet -- they called to confirm the online order -- showed up exactly when they said they would, answered all my questions while hooking up.
The next day when I had forgotten my network key code and couldn't get back online I called, and got a wonderful customer service tech that didn't even sound annoyed by my dumb questions, he walked me though keystoke by keystoke how to find the key code on the other computer, and answered all the other questions I had thought up since the installation tech had left.

All that is just to say that it probably just depends on where you are, because the phone calls and billing are handled locally not at some big head- quarters like Earthlink or AOL.

Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crono
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crono   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crono   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's interesting that I saw this thread while I was on the phone with Comcast billing.

I signed up for an account with Comcast cable Internet service at the beginning of last month. I did not get any cable service until yesterday. I had been on the phone with technical support almost daily. They never could really fix the problem. I asked to have a technician come look at it, but they would say that there wasn't one available and that I should check back later.

After I got my first bill for service that I had not yet received, I was on the verge of cancelling my account. Finally, a technician became available. It turned out that the modem they were renting to me was bad, so they replaced it with a better one. I decided to keep the account.

I was still a little upset about having to pay for service I hadn't gotten, especially since one of the representatives I had spoken to had promised me a credit that did not appear on the bill. I called and asked for a credit. My bill is about $45 a month, and even though I hadn't had service for about a month and a half, they wouldn't credit me more than $20.

I am not happy with Comcast, but unfortunately, there aren't any good alternatives in the area.

--------------------
Disclaimer: I might know something about everything, but I don't know much about anything.

Posts: 293 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, Crono, I have a supervisor's number; they should be able to give you some satisfaction.

While I find Comcast occasionally detestable, in truth, they do a pretty good job, and are definitely tons better than they were a year ago.

The technician thing is weird, though. While we generally can't get one right away, we have always been able to get one out the next morning.

And you can generally purchase modems free after rebate if you are a new customer.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crono
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crono   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crono   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I would appreciate it if you would PM me the number. Before sounding to harsh, I'll admit that I used Comcast several years ago without any problems and was rather fond of it. My recent experience surprised me, so I assumed that service had somehow gone downhill. I guess that my main beef was that I was constantly told by technical support (whom I believe were not in the Nashville area) that my modem should be working when it obviously wasn't, but since it was supposed to be working, they couldn't do anything about it. I'm willing to give it another chance, especially since I'm going to be using it anyway. I'm pretty laid back and forgiving, so if the supervisor is even willing to listen, it would make me feel better.

--------------------
Disclaimer: I might know something about everything, but I don't know much about anything.

Posts: 293 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On its way!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady L
Squall of Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady L   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually don't mind Comcast. Their digital cable is through the roof, which is why we have basic, but the internet service works great and they have always been nice to us about any problems we've had.

As for the OP, I've heard of disgruntled college students who have done that kind of thing right before quitting their jobs. I don't know where I heard that from, probably my husband or something, but I found it quite funny. It wouldn't be funny if I got crappy service and then had such a name change. Now I check the names on all of my bills just to make sure... [lol]

--------------------
The Snopester formerly known as RooBug

Posts: 556 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FC
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FC   E-mail FC   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
And the customer service award does NOT go to ...
When LaChania Govan's Comcast service wasn't working, she called for help. And called. And called. It was a frustrating process, and then she got the bill.

Scott Goldstein
Chicago Tribune
17 August 2005

Until recently, LaChania Govan's complaints about Comcast's service seemed relatively tame. The 25-year-old Elgin mother of two said she was put on hold, disconnected, even transferred to the Spanish language line.

But after persistent problems with her digital recording system forced her to make dozens of calls to the cable company in July, her August bill came with a change really worth complaining about: In place of her name were the words "Bitch Dog."

[...]

http://tinyurl.com/9mg8j

quote:
From the above-linked article:
"If this is not that customer's name, it shouldn't be on that bill," said Patricia Andrews-Keenan, vice president of communications for the company.

Interesting choice of words. "If this is not the customer's name..." It's almost as if she's implying that the customer's name could, in fact, be "Bitch Dog." [Smile]
Posts: 45 | From: Puget Sound, WA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I think Comcast has ordered its employees to be on their best behavior! I finally called this morning to get to the bottom of our over-high bill. Turns out they had not been charging us enough for our Internet for several months, and my sweet husband hadn't caught their mistake, so we actually did owe them some money for past service. I explained to the customer service lady on the phone that we'd not been able to find anything on the bill indicating what we were being charged for, and she was extremely nice and apologetic. At lunch today, when I went to the Comcast office to pay up, I asked the lady at the window if she could check to see if there were any penalty fees that might be waived (since the incorrect billing hadn't really been our fault). She instantly waved her magic wand and made $45 of our bill disappear, and she was so overly sweet, I couldn't help but suspect that there are some harshly worded memoes circulating at that company. (What, me cynical?) Not that excessive niceness is a bad thing.
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zakor

I can add to this list of comcast problems. I subscribed to Comcast for two years living in Northern Indiana. Often I would get incredibly slow speeds. I'd call in and call in, and they would test my line and report that there was no problem. I would run a TRACERT (Trace Route) which essentially traces the connection speed at each HOP from originating computer to target website. You can try it yourself from your C: prompt typing TRACERT http:///www.blahblah.com etc...

In any event, I was getting 300 millisecond times from my third hop to my destinations, and at 12 hops, that results in 3 full seconds or more, to send information from one site to another, hardly "broadband speed." Comcast dropped by and dropped by, nothing ever resolved. Then one fine day they actually checked the switch outside! Lo and behold the switch wasn't installed correctly.

I'd maintained some correspondence with Comcast, including mediation through the BBB. One of their letters to me referred to "my service with comast." (SIC). In my reply, I inquired as to whether or not Comcast was involved in some sort of nautical endeavors, as "Comast" wasn't something that I was fully familiar with. Suffice it to say that their customer service department can't even be trusted to spell check their own documents/correspondence. They're another company with which I will do business as a last resort.

Sorry for the ramble.

Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My only complaint with Comcast is they won't tell you *anything* over email. I know I know, it's just for security and it's a nice effort, but it's extremely frustrating when all you want to know is "how much do I owe you for my past-due bill?" and you have to call and wait in a que and then feel bad 'cause you're calling about a past-due bill in preparation to pay for it, but you aren't gonna actually pay for it right that instant so you're afraid they're going to try to pressure you into paying now.

(Note: The past-due bill is from the "Bad Time"(TM) while my wife and I were still together and we did some very bad things with our money. Now I'm back on track and am preparing to get it paid off so we can have service again, but it really sucks that I can't just find out how much and mail them a check, I have to go through all the hoopla of calling and waiting and transfering, etc. I really wish companies would utilize email more effectively, it's my main form of communication and I get *so* much more done when I can do it through email. I'm still not sure why giving me an arbitrary amount is a security risk either. If people find out how much my bill is and want to pay it for me, more power to 'em. :/)

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We disconnected our comcast from our old house (yeah, we didn't use the 'move service' option because we are puting it under my wife's last name in the new house to receive our 'new customer' rate ...yeah, I know, it's a little bit of cheating) and got a final bill of over $400! They charged for the cable boxes that they claim we still have. I don't have them and produced the recipt to them that showed I turned it in.

They just sent me a collections letter for the $400 plus. Crap. I guess I'm calling them back.

Other than that though, I've no real problem with them that i don't find from other huge company's customer service.

Hey, at least it's not CS for Apple (THAT'S another story altogether...silly iPod)

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Niner
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niner     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dogwater, you don't have to put the account in a new name - talking with my local Comcast rep, a new name + address is a new customer. I tested this during my last move, 4 miles down the road, and I got all the 6 month goodies.

Good luck with the equipment issues. I would recommend that when you get someone on the line, fax them a copy of the receipt, then if you get another one claim harrassment and fraud the first thing when you call them up [Smile]

Henry

Posts: 441 | From: Between Flint and Lansing, MI | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niner:
Dogwater, you don't have to put the account in a new name - talking with my local Comcast rep, a new name + address is a new customer. I tested this during my last move, 4 miles down the road, and I got all the 6 month goodies.

Good luck with the equipment issues. I would recommend that when you get someone on the line, fax them a copy of the receipt, then if you get another one claim harrassment and fraud the first thing when you call them up [Smile]

Henry

The suggestion is appreciated. I'm actually just going to call the collection agency that they sent after us and send them the paperwork They have a lot to lose should they pursue an invalid debt. Attorney Generals end up hearing about such things...

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That whole "this plan is for new customers only" is just plain crap. It amazes me to see what cable companies think they can get away with. If it's a good, money-making package for new folks, why is it not the same for the guy who's had his cable for the last 20 years but is eyeing the neighbor's dish?

Crap like this is why companies like Comcast are losing ground to the newer kids on the block.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages