snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Precious Moments creator is a sex offender?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Precious Moments creator is a sex offender?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is it true that Precious Moments creator Sam Butcher is a
registered sex offender? This is a rumor that has floated around southwest
Missouri for some years. I checked the Missouri registry and didn't find
him listed, but I don't think he actually lives in Missouri anymore, and I
don't know which state to check next.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vinnichanka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnichanka   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vinnichanka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sex offender or not, these little things surely are creepy - hydrocephalus is my diagnosis.

--------------------
Ladies and gentlemen, chlorinate your gene pools!

Posts: 250 | From: Brooklyn, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Randa Roo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randa Roo   E-mail Randa Roo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've lived in Southwest MO for my whole entire life, and I've never heard that rumor.
I might be wrong, but if the crime was commited before a certain date (like 20 years ago, and they haven't re-offended) aren't certain sex offenders not required to register, if it's been long enough since they commited the act? Like an ex post facto clause or some such? Or am I crazy?
Oh, and Vinni, I agree. Creepy to the max.

--------------------
'I'm the decider... I decide what's best.'

Posts: 403 | From: Branson, Missouri | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vinnichanka:
Sex offender or not, these little things surely are creepy - hydrocephalus is my diagnosis.

Hydrocephalics of the world may take offense at being associated with the little glurge factories. [Wink]

That said, my mom is a collector of the stupid things. Must have 400 or so. It makes for easy gifts (just find one sappy enough to work), but they wear on you after a while.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vesta
We Three Blings

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Vesta   E-mail Vesta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That said, my mom is a collector of the stupid things. Must have 400 or so. It makes for easy gifts (just find one sappy enough to work), but they wear on you after a while.

My paternal grandmother, quite possibly the most evil person I've had the misfourtune to come across, dutifully collected the evil little things. As a result, everytime I see some I'm immediately filled with unease, and a vague sense of impending doom.

This might be a good time to bring up the lovely chapel dedicated to them, as reported by Roadside America. I imagine if there could be a personal hell for me, that could be it.

Vesta

--------------------
Innocence, on the Bicycle of Propriety, carrying the Urn of Reputation safely over the Abyss of Indiscretion.

Posts: 1170 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, that would be a trip to the eighth circle of Hell... [Eek!]

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

I think I'm going to have nightmares now. [Eek!]

ETA: Oh, I guess they didn't want me hotlinking the pic. It was the one of the giant Precious Moment costumed person attempting to destroy and devour innocent children.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible to have daymares? That chapel is frightening. I never understood the attraction of the Precious Moments figurines. I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My MIL collects those evil onion-headed things. Gah.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dogpile: "sam butcher"+"Precious Moments"+"offender"

quote:
1. The Turner Report
Precious Moments creator Sam Butcher told Chicago Daily Herald business writer Mike ... 6 Jackson County decision, which upheld the sex offender registry. ...
www.rturner229.blogspot.com/ [Found on Google]
2. January 12, 1995 House Activity Register
HB57: OFFENDER COMMITTED TO DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS MUST SERVE 80% OF SENTENCE ... HR26: SAM BUTCHER CREATOR OF THE PRECIOUS MOMENTS LINE OF COLLECTIBLE ...
www.house.state.mo.us/bills95/actreg95/011295.htm [Found on Google]
3. The Turner Report
... Part of the probation deal was that Goddard was to go through a sexual offender treatment program ... working with creator Sam Butcher to develop the Precious Moments line, which later ...
rturner229.blogspot.com/2004_10_01_rturner229_arch... [Found on Yahoo!]

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 37 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of you whose family members collect them, look on the bright side: makes Christmas and birthday shopping a helluva lot easier!
But, gads a whole church?!
The money one could make if he set up a concession stand selling barf bags and Pepto Bismo to people who hate PMs, but were dragged along by PM-loving spouses!
Edited to add: the PM figurines remind me of the "Love Is..." figures that were popular during--when else?--the 1970s.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Take me with you, Timmy!"
Children welcome embrace
of a dead baby angel.

that says it all.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh...
I'm shuddering so much I can barely type...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me and my sisters bought a few Precious Moments for our mother on Mother's Day and her birthdays when we were little kids. We thought that she liked them, and we felt like such good kids getting these "expensive" ceramic collectibles for our mom. She confessed to me just a few months ago that she hated them and wished we hadn't bought them for her, but she didn't know how to tell us that because we were just kids.

I wonder how many people wind up with the things because of misunderstandings like that? [Razz]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was dragged to that chapel once about 6 years ago. To this day just the word precious whispered by my husband or myself causes us to shudder. In the tour they go on and on about "the artist" (as he is constantly referred to), they liken one room with some crappy, sparse painting on the ceiling to the Sistine Chapel. The longer I was there the wierder it got. The worst was how the "curator" went on and on about it being the artist's gift to God, but the last room had a big donation box and a speech about donating "to continue to allow it to be free." I thought it was his gift to God? I've been told you now must pay to see the chapel.

For another fee, you could go to an island complete with a village and those horrid big-headed costume people. IIRC it was about $20 in 1999.

I used to just dislike Precious Moments, now I'm almost morally against them.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vesta:
This might be a good time to bring up the lovely chapel dedicated to them, as reported by Roadside America. I imagine if there could be a personal hell for me, that could be it.

Vesta [/QB]

quote:
At the back wall of the Chapel is its defining mural, Hallelujah Square. It depicts a new dead child being welcomed to heaven by Timmy Angel. Other dead children angels hold signs saying "Welcome To Your Heavenly Home." The sign with "Welcome" written on it is held wrong side up, as cute children will sometimes do. Others in Hallelujah Square romp and frolic. In the exact center of the mural is a ministering Christ. He is the only adult depicted in the chapel.

The effect of the work (including a Michelangelo-like painted ceiling) on the assembled crowd is haunting. No babies cry ("They never do," says our guide.) Adults looking at the cartoons are stock still.

This was, by far, the most disturbing room. The reason I was stock still was from the overwhelming gastliness of the whole thing. It was like being vomited on by glurge; it clung to me, smelling of cheap perfume, my eyes blinded by the pastel chunks. And everyone else seemed to find it inspiring. I felt like the only sane person in the room, but about to slip b/c something about it all still made me want to cry. Mob mentality or just glurge overload? I'm still not sure.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
finger stutters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finger stutters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my "blanky" had precious moments kids on it. I loved the precious moments growing up because of this. I still kinda like them, but the large amount of religous content has made me lose most of my love for those big eyed children.

--------------------
YHBT. YHL. HAND.
My youtube channel

Posts: 258 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages