snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Starbucks across from Starbucks? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Starbucks across from Starbucks?
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debunker:
quote:
Originally posted by Electrotiger:
This is correct. B&N "proudly serves Starbucks Coffee products," but the coffee shops in the stores are not actually Starbucks. So I think they probably are excluded.

If you search for stores on Starbuck's website, the B&N's show up, so I don't exclude them.
Actually, the Barnes & Noble where I'm a bookseller, (store 2574, Kansas City Country Club Plaza) doesn't show up on the Starbucks website. I can't vouch for other locations, but I assume that it's the same thing.

When asked if we have a Starbucks Coffee in our store, we're told to say, "No, we have a B&N Cafe that proudly serves Starbucks coffee, but it's not a Starbucks facility."

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The B&N in Potomac Mills here sales Joe's Muggs coffee unfortunately. I think it sales Starbucks packages separately.

Though I didn't realize the start author was speaking of 2 separate Starbucks versus 2 Starbucks joined or not joined. [Frown]

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JFB
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB   E-mail JFB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Downtown from where Ana and Don mention are two Starbucks in clear sight of each other: one on Astor Place at (not in) Cooper Union, the other on Lafayette, just across Cooper Square. A block or two in any direction from there will reveal still more franchises. Commercial kudzu.

My part of Brooklyn remains refreshingly free of the mermaid logo, though for how long I'm afraid to guess. No surprise, then, that 5th Avenue (Brooklyn) is littered with independent coffee houses. Not my scene, but it's nice to see commerce working the way it should--with owners running their establishments in person.

There's nothing "free" about a market where goliaths use economies of scale to "own" (industry word, not mine) a region already served by smaller operations.

Posts: 472 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J Barrows:
Downtown from where Ana and Don mention are two Starbucks in clear sight of each other: one on Astor Place at (not in) Cooper Union, the other on Lafayette, just across Cooper Square. A block or two in any direction from there will reveal still more franchises. Commercial kudzu.

I just walked past those two last night and was thinking about this thread.

Anyway, the joke I always heard is that Starbucks was planning on opening up a Starbucks inside of another Starbucks.

Don Gato

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MisterGrey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MisterGrey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On 71st St. in Tulsa, there was a Starbucks in a strip center; about four or five stores down from that Starbucks there was the Target Superstore, which had a Starbucks inside.
Posts: 2711 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drag, the Magic Puffin
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Funkmistress:
Can anyone here confirm or deny this rumor? The stand-up comedian Lewis Black claim that opposing Starbucks can be found in Houston, Texas, though the store locator on the Starbucks website doesn't indicate anything. Can anyone help me out?

They're here in Houston, at the corner of South Shepherd and West Gray:

http://www.gergltd.com/users/isaac.gerg/starbucks/

Edit: The store locator gives their addresses as:

1. River Oaks II
2050 W. Gray
Houston TX, 77019
United States

2. River Oaks
2029 W. Gray
Houston TX, 77019
United States

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised there are no stand-alone Starbucks stores in downtown West Chester, PA. There are oodles of independent coffee shops, and one small-area chain called Brew-ha-ha.

However, the Genuardi's supermarket outside the main town has an in-store Starbucks, as does a shopping mall.

Cervus, I've noticed church clusters in some towns, too. It's as though they wanted to section off one part of the town for religion. Many of these areas are aptly located on "Church Street."

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
camomile

quote:
Originally posted by Drag, the Magic Puffin:
quote:
Originally posted by Funkmistress:
Can anyone here confirm or deny this rumor? The stand-up comedian Lewis Black claim that opposing Starbucks can be found in Houston, Texas, though the store locator on the Starbucks website doesn't indicate anything. Can anyone help me out?

They're here in Houston, at the corner of South Shepherd and West Gray:

http://www.gergltd.com/users/isaac.gerg/starbucks/

Edit: The store locator gives their addresses as:

1. River Oaks II
2050 W. Gray
Houston TX, 77019
United States

2. River Oaks
2029 W. Gray
Houston TX, 77019
United States

camomile

for anyone who cant see those two starbucks, it's actually the cover art for the lewis black cd, "end of the universe"(which is supposedly in the middle of the two starbucks)
ct
Noah's Lark

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ct   E-mail ct   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a few spots in Downtown Seattle, at least, where you can stand in front of one Starbucks and see two others out of the corners of your eyes. Don't remember the exact streets, unfortunately, but one's on 3rd Avenue somewhere, IIRC.
Posts: 77 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by faceless007:
Comedian Lewis Black (of The Daily Show with John Stewart) has an entire routine based on such a pair of Starbucks he saw. I think it was in Austin, Texas, and he showed video footage of it.

=============================

Lewis Black talked about it last night on XM Comedy 150. He said he was at Houston Texas and couldn't believe his eyes. A stretch road of buildings and there was a Starbucks on his right and a Starbucks on the left. Then he went on a joke rampage. Something about alzheimers people.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
whiteyfoo

Yep. The Lewis Black Starbucks are right here in Houston. They are actually less than a 1/4 mile from the Laff Stop where Lewis Black has done many shows. It's one of thos unexplainable phenomonon. And they aren't down the block from one another or anything silly like that. They are directly across the street from one another.
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This phenomenon is called 'Hotelling' is it not? After the economist...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see what the deal is. In Tottenham Court Road (London) there are two Burger King's directly opposite one another. At Paddington Station there is a BK in the station and another directly outside. At Tottenham Court Road the street is obscenely busy and you might not want to cross the road to pick up your burger. The company must make a porfit or they wouldn't do this.

In my home town of Reading we have at least 4 Costa coffees, and you can transverse Reading in five minutes. One in the train station, one on the high street, one in Waterstones and one in WHSmith. There may be more, it's like a phenomenon! There are also three Burger Kings and 3 McDonalds, 3 Wetherspoons pubs. Only one Starbucks though.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

I've seen 2 Gas Stations just equal to opposite of each other's road. You've got your choice of "Sunoco" on the right or you can go across the street to "BP Amoco" on the left.

Not so equal, but close, 2 more...

"Exxon" vs "Mobil".

--------------------
Joseph Z

DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In many intersections of New Jersey, there are four gas stations.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
It works in the South with Waffle Houses, too.

And churches. I kid you not, there is an intersection on the outskirts of town with a Baptist Church, a Methodist Church, a Lutheran Church, and some other denomination I forget the name of. It seems like everywhere I go there's an overabundance of churches (we even have a Korean Baptist church) but to see four of them at one intersection was pretty mind-boggling to say the least.

Two of the biggest Methodist church buildings are literally sitting across from each other on the same main street here. I'm told the newer building of the two was built for and by unhappy parishoners from the older building some time ago. I guess they wanted the folks across the street to be envious of the cool new building.

We have church clusters, too. A lot them were built aroud the same time, early in the town's history. It makes sense that when the town was young and relatively small that each denomination would want to be represented downtown, near the courthouse. I don't think much of it. Though there does seem to be a mild trend of church consolidation between like-minded small churches, the ecomony of scale and such. My current church is desperately trying to buy any of those soon-to-be-abandonded facilities, as we're renting a space now, which is a royal pain for contemporary music.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Houston Starbucks were even funnier to me when they were building the second one. the first one was still nice, and actually has a better location. There's a lot of foot traffic on that block due to the comedy club and several restaurants, so it's not so much a traffic thing. I have a friend who went to meet a friend before the comedy act one night and they were waiting one at each Starbucks. Oops!
Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
It works in the South with Waffle Houses, too.

No, because with Starbuck's, it's a challenge.

There's a Waffle House on each side of the interstate at each intersection on interstates in Georgia.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkDan:
In many intersections of New Jersey, there are four gas stations.

I take the four-gas-stations-at-an-intersection phenomena for granted so much that I'm surprised when I come to a major intersection that only has two - or more shocking - doesn't have any at all. I've been through towns with no stoplight, but there's at least two gas stations directly opposite each other at the intersection.

And I don't know if this is a thing common only to my old hometown, but the trend there is to build a Walgreen's and an Eckerd's pharmacy right next door to each other. Not across the street. Two large nationally-competing pharmacies, literally side-by-side.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ottercreek
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ottercreek   E-mail ottercreek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was something on some TV show and I can not remember which, about how Starbucks engages in what they called "market cannibalism" which is eating into your geographical market with another store of the same kind. (taking a "bite" out of your own market) Apparently there is some advantage to this...
Posts: 736 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
littleshop
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littleshop   E-mail littleshop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not that it needs further validation, but I wanted to echo that yes, I've been to the "double Starbucks sighting" in Vancouver. They are kitty corner from one another.

In the comments for Best in Show, the actors mentioned that they got the inspiration for the scene from the 2 Starbucks in Vancouver.

Posts: 483 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RoofingGuy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RoofingGuy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There aren't many Starbucks' around here, except occasionally an embedded cafe in a larger retailer, but we are over-run with Tim Horton coffee shops, both stand-alone and embedded in gas stations and other stores...

But sometimes they go even farther than just being directly across the street -- I've seen a cross-street location with only one major kitchen between the two for the major baking... which resulted in the hilarious sight of the occasional employee trying to walk across 5 lanes of rush-hour traffic carrying a large tray of doughnuts on his/her shoulder to the smaller "stand-alone" outlet.

--------------------
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person...

Posts: 724 | From: Ontario, CAN | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
M. J. Wise

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
I've seen 2 Gas Stations just equal to opposite of each other's road. You've got your choice of "Sunoco" on the right or you can go across the street to "BP Amoco" on the left.

Not so equal, but close, 2 more...

"Exxon" vs "Mobil".

Where I'm from, at our interstate exchange, there used to be two Speedways directly across from each other for many years. One of them closed in the last few years and they expanded the one across the street.
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

So where is this 2Starbucks across from each other anyhow? There's 62 and the map doesn't even come close to identical locations. I've seen two that were 1-2 streets apart from each other on the same street, but not close to each other like *|* where the *s are the starbucks.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Joseph, they aren't on that particular list, but they are on Yahoo Yellow Pages, if you want to see. They are at 2029 and 2050 W. Gray, Houston, TX 77019. They are on the northwest and southwest corners at the intersection of Greenbriar and W. Gray, both on the same side of Greenbriar.

ETA: Also, check out Starbuck's website, searching the ZIP 77019 for locations. You can't see the #1 spot because it's covered by the #2.

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drag, the Magic Puffin

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And sometimes, I get the feeling that no one reads what I post. [Wink]

Sorry, Drag. I read yours, but forgot about it when I posted the same. Here's a picture of the spot in question.

http://www.thelocust.org/gallery/20030412houston/20030412_houston_starbuckspan

Jeff-B

Starbucks saturation? Must be nice, outside the Barnes and Noble 20 miles away, I'd have to travel an hour or two down the NYS Thruway for Starbucks coffee.

Around here it's Dunkin Donuts on a major building spree, probably trying to fight off a rumored Krispy Kreme store.

The hamlet I live in is usually listed on maps with a population of around 150, yet there are 3 churches.

Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Starbucks saturation? Must be nice, outside the Barnes and Noble 20 miles away, I'd have to travel an hour or two down the NYS Thruway for Starbucks coffee.
Same here. I don't even know where the nearest Starbucks *is*. The nearest place I saw one was South Hills Village Mall in Pittsburgh. There are some nice coffee shops around, but all are locally owned, "mom and pop" operations. Well, Books A Million has a coffee shop, but it's not Starbucks either.

El "we did finally get a Cracker Barrel, though" wood

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kev:
quote:
Originally posted by faceless007:
Comedian Lewis Black (of The Daily Show with John Stewart) has an entire routine based on such a pair of Starbucks he saw. I think it was in Austin, Texas, and he showed video footage of it.

There aren't two starbucks across from each other that I'm aware of. There are a couple of places where they are within several blocks of each other (6th & Congress and 10th & Congress) for example.

I know a place where there are two Blockbusters across the street from each other (one of them used to be United Video, I think Blockbuster bought the company. It stayed United for a while but it was obviously part of Blockbuster...they finally just changed it.)

Or even closer: the Starbucks in the 500 block of W. 24th and inside the B&N on 23rd. That's, what two blocks?

Just think in a couple of months, the UT area will have 11 coffee shops (not counting the one in the Union) and no bookstores. What's wrong with this picture?

I can make my own damned coffee, but I'm a little stuck on the printing press.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mooommmeee
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooommmeee   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mooommmeee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elwood Cordon Blues:
There are some nice coffee shops around, but all are locally owned, "mom and pop" operations.

What Elwood meant to say was that there are several family owned coffee shops in the area.

Mooo "Leave the gun, take the cannoli" mmmeee

--------------------
I mostly dine on the idea of health that is absorbed into my body through the consciousness of the universe. Or Fat Burger if I'm in a hurry. ~The Ninja

My Blog

Posts: 1182 | From: WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
What Elwood meant to say was that there are several family owned coffee shops in the area.
That there are.

Why can't the mob bring in TGI Friday's, Red Lobster, The Olive Garden or even maybe a Home Depot?

--------------------

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
:Christie smacks hand on head: Oh that kind of family. Gee I'm slow [Eek!] .

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lockardaw

How about Aunt Annie's Pretzel shops? In the Springfield Mall in Springfield, VA, there are four of them in separate locations (the mall's website only lists three locations, but I'm sure I saw four).
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages