snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » UK Tax on window screens?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK Tax on window screens?
24K_ Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of my who just got back from 3 years in England told me that there are were no window screens in her house.I asked why and she said that she thought it was because they would have had to pay a tax to have them. Huh wha? A tax on window screens? Was she misinformed,(she lived in base housing, if that makes any difference) or is there really such a tax.If so, is it so expensive that no one wants to pay? All 23 windows in my house are screened. I could not imagine them not! I mean, my pets could get out and bugs could get in.

24k"Flings hands in the air"Kate

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman
Harshmallow World

Icon 01 posted      Profile for plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Author's Homepage   E-mail plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Many many years ago (200-300 yrs ago) here in the UK, the Gummint levied a tax on windows:- the more windows you had, the more tax you paid.

That's why you will see, on very old properties, windows that have been removed/ bricked over.

There were also taxes levied on chimneys, and Wig-powder.

And, I seem to recall stories about taxes levied on things like tea, too...

There may be a partial truth in your friend's assumption. There'd be taxes levied on at least some, if not all, of the materials needed to make the screens for the windows (VAT may be payable, which is similar to the sales-tax levied in some states in the US).

Talk

--------------------
...Can you tell tripe from truth?

Don't be an ignoranus:- an ignoranus is someone who is both stupid, and an ars*hole!

Posts: 1833 | From: The West Riding of God's-own county: Yorkshire UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tabard love-innkeeper
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 24k Kate:
A friend of my who just got back from 3 years in England told me that there are were no window screens in her house.I asked why and she said that she thought it was because they would have had to pay a tax to have them.

Well, we just don't, traditionally. If there's a reason, maybe it's the diffuseness of the light. We have curtains and blinds to keep the neighbours guessing, but we don't often want to keep daylight out in the middle of the day. Nevertheless, I quite like my Venetian blinds.

ti

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate

Icon 01 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tabard love-innkeeper:
Well, we just don't, traditionally. If there's a reason, maybe it's the diffuseness of the light. We have curtains and blinds to keep the neighbours guessing, but we don't often want to keep daylight out in the middle of the day. Nevertheless, I quite like my Venetian blinds.

ti

Hmmm, maybe I used the wrong term. In the US, window screens are a piece of mesh over the window opening. It keeps the bugs out and the cats in (The reason my friend was telling me the story..her windows were unscreened and her cats got out.) Do you call it something different in the UK?

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

ti

Hmmm, maybe I used the wrong term. In the US, window screens are a piece of mesh over the window opening. It keeps the bugs out and the cats in (The reason my friend was telling me the story..her windows were unscreened and her cats got out.) Do you call it something different in the UK?
In Australia we call it flywire and a house without would be almost unlivable

Dav(unless you have aircon that is and never open a window )ros
edit cos i misspelled Australia Doh!!!

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tabard love-innkeeper

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

ti

Sorry - I thought you meant shutters. I have seen it, but generally in the kind of areas where you'd be more concerned about keeping the burglars out than the bugs!
24K_ Kate

quote:
Sorry - I thought you meant shutters. I have seen it, but generally in the kind of areas where you'd be more concerned about keeping the burglars out than the bugs!

The ones I have are made of a very light thin mesh. They are easy to cut and are not for security reasons. From a distance, you can't even tell they are there. When we lived in CA, I did have a storm door with a much heavier wire mesh though.

--------------------
<---Callisto

VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 214 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thereís no tax that Iím aware of on window screens, probably because we simply donít have them. Usually in the UK, the weatherís only warm enough to need to have the windows open all day for a month at most, and in most places flying insects arenít such a nuisance as to warrant the trouble of installing screens. You can find them (ETA: screens, that is, not insects) if you really want them, but theyíre not common.

VeebleFetzer

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As others have said they just don't see a need for screens on windows in most parts of the UK. It is definitely disconcerting as a Canadian though. I always thought of screens as standard issue. I do agree that in terms of house flies and mosquitos the screens aren't necessary. On the other hand we got lots of wasps and on at least one occasion the neighbour's cat coming in an unscreened window [Eek!] .

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate

Thanks for the replies. It's rare to see a house here in the US without window screens. We have plenty of bugs and other critters that we would rather stay outside. We leave them up all year, especially here in the southern US, where it can get warm enough to open the windows even in the middle of winter. (The other day the temps reached 75 F [23.8 C]. It didn't last long, but I sure opened up those windows while it did!) I also have dogs and cats that I want to keep inside, which would be impossible without screens.

24kKate

--------------------
<---Callisto

Jaeger
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaeger   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jaeger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
UK isn't unique in not having screens, and it isn't just because Brits don't have the windows open usually.

We have grills, i.e. metal frameworks with BIG gaps. In our case, the gaps are slightly-less-than-cat. Most people have slightly-less-than-child. The intention is to make sure that the cat or child doesn't fall out, and adequate security to make sure you can leave the windows (or front door) wide open and unlocked even when you're not at home. We use grills instead of screens because we want absolute maximum airflow, and because insects aren't a serious problem.

- Jaeger

Posts: 1158 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In Georgia, most houses I've seen had storm windows, which were a frame containing a wire mesh and two clear plastic windows panes one of which you could slide up to let fresh air in. You would close the plastic pane (and close the window) to reduce the heat loss during winter and the heating of the room during the summer. Some rooms (such as my bedroom) would have insulated curtains to keep the room from becoming a furnace during the summer. Double-paned windows are becoming more common, though.

In California, I have rarely seen a house with storm windows, although most homes have had window screens.

I've only seen bars on windows on a few houses and apartment buildings (throughout the US).

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ritemple

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible that we're talking about two different things here.

In the UK, we have to pay a road tax on our cards. After paying for the tax we get a paper disc that with fix to the windscreens of our cars ?

Might that be what the original poster heard about ?

24K_ Kate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ritemple:

In the UK, we have to pay a road tax on our cards. After paying for the tax we get a paper disc that with fix to the windscreens of our cars ?

Hi ritemple, and welcome! [Smile]
Nope, my friend was talking about screens on the windows of houses. A story about her cat escaping through an unscreened window in her house is how the subject came up.
quote:
Originally posted by VeebleFetzer:
and in most places flying insects arenít such a nuisance as to warrant the trouble of installing screens.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaeger:
We use grills instead of screens because we want absolute maximum airflow, and because insects aren't a serious problem.

I must admit, am intrigued by the lack of flying insects overseas. Y'all mean to say there are no Black flies or Horseflies? No mosquitos? Wow, that's is so cool! Here in the south east US, we have plenty of flying nasties that would love to come indoors. Thus, the windows are screened. This is why I love this board. I learn something new every day! [Smile]

24kKate

--------------------
<---Callisto

Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have horseflies, but they're not very common, and a few mozzies but not stinking great clouds of them. There are wasps but they're easily dealt with by use of a rolled-up newspaper (or running from the room in my case). But it's mainly because it doesn't often get so hot that you simply *have* to have the windows open.

Scotland in autumn is notorious for its clouds of midges but you don't really need your windows open in Scotland very often.

You'll see fly screens on people's back doors in the summer sometimes - long 'curtains' made of plastic strips that you can walk through - but screens are uncommon. I first saw them on Neighbours when that started being shown over here and I had no idea why these odd people had an extra front door!

But what's all this window-opening anyway? I was led to believe that you all had air-conditioning? There was a mass of disbelief here when all those people died in the heat in France last summer - "why didn't they have air-conditioning?" It seemed as if everyone over there had it; is this not actually the case?

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We mostly have air conditioning but there's always that intermediate phase where it's too warm inside but too cool for the air conditioning. So you open a window and get the fresh air. Unless of course you live in my house where people have allergies so bad that you have to go directly from heat to air conditioning. Though I do manage to sneak a few open windows occasionally in early spring and late fall.

We also added storm doors to our house this past summer. I have no idea why they weren't built with them, but I was tired of having flies come in because someone left the door open while they got the mail, or talked to someone on the porch or some other reason. Now I have real pretty glass storm door on the front that looks lovely and allows me to open the front door and let the light in but leave the outside out and a more functional storm door on the back with glass and screens so that I can open the door and get light and air if need be.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rose, from mid-March to mid-May and again from October to early December, it's quite possible to leave the windows open during the day. Some days anyway. And much cheaper on your utility bills if you can do it. Plus the joint just needs to air out sometimes. I've got two wild crack ho kitties trying to get into my apartment & eat my cats, so I'd be sunk without screens.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaeger
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaeger   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jaeger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[I must admit, am intrigued by the lack of flying insects overseas. Y'all mean to say there are no Black flies or Horseflies? No mosquitos? Wow, that's is so cool! Here in the south east US, we have plenty of flying nasties that would love to come indoors. Thus, the windows are screened. This is why I love this board. I learn something new every day! [Smile]

24kKate [/QB]

I don't think that Singapore can be said to represent the whole of "Overseas" I'm not even sure sometimes that it's in the same universe as the rest of the planet. [Big Grin]

We get some insects, but nothing scarey enough to worry about. The occasional praying mantis, noisy and annoying beetles, some little nameless critters that seem to swarm one night every six months or so, and the odd flying cockroach. Nothing that bites or stings. The cats play with the bigger insects and the rest either fly away or hit the lights and frazzle.

We do get dengue mosquitoes, but not the malarial ones, and the emphasis is on stopping them from existing rather than screening against them.

Lizards are a bigger problem, as they tend to shit everywhere when they do get in. However, they also eat the cockroaches and the cats like to play with their tails. And they would get in under the door even if we did screen.

- Jaeger

Posts: 1158 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
We mostly have air conditioning but there's always that intermediate phase where it's too warm inside but too cool for the air conditioning.

Where I live, we call this "summer."

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
On the other hand we got lots of wasps and on at least one occasion the neighbour's cat coming in an unscreened window [Eek!] .

Our bathroom window is our cat's entrance and exit point. The cat next door uses it as an entrance point but is too stupid to get back out again, it's a first floor window BTW.

Holly

Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roses are Red:
There are wasps but they're easily dealt with by use of a rolled-up newspaper (or running from the room in my case).

Oooh, you shouldn't swat wasps. When they're crushed some of them emit a chemical which attracts and enrages other wasps. It's a good way to get layed to seige.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hell's Granny
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hell's Granny   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hell's Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We have horseflies, but they're not very common, and a few mozzies but not stinking great clouds of them.

You've never been to Scotland, then. From August to October, we get plagued by mozzies. While they're around you can't leave a door or window open in the evenings, and Hub sprays our bedroom with bug-killer every night before bedtime. Window screens sound like a very good idea.

--------------------
Oakleaf Circle - Elfin Magical Diary-Transit: the astrologers' newsletter

Posts: 1304 | From: South-West Scotland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[qb]Scotland in autumn is notorious for its clouds of midges [qb]

Mozzies, midges, near enough.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 88 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not just the UK. I've only been in three European countries, but saw nary a screen.

I live in Michigan. The windows are opened as soon as possible in late spring and not closed, if I can help it, until early fall. I don't use air conditioning where I'm able to control it. I can't stand it. I don't like being closed up and in Michigan, there's likely just a few days out of the year you'd need it. On those days I'll use a fan, thankyouverymuch. When I had my house built, the builder couldn't believe I didn't want central air. People are air conditioner crazy. I had ceiling fans and great huge windows. Why would I need central air?

I guess it's warmer in Michigan than most of you in Europe have it.

tag

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 217 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hell's Granny:
quote:
We have horseflies, but they're not very common, and a few mozzies but not stinking great clouds of them.

You've never been to Scotland, then. From August to October, we get plagued by mozzies. While they're around you can't leave a door or window open in the evenings, and Hub sprays our bedroom with bug-killer every night before bedtime. Window screens sound like a very good idea.
Yes. I think you'd love them once you got used to them. I doubt there's a house in the US without them, well, possibly in Alaska. [Big Grin]

tag

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
quote:
There are wasps but they're easily dealt with by use of a rolled-up newspaper (or running from the room in my case).

Oooh, you shouldn't swat wasps. When they're crushed some of them emit a chemical which attracts and enrages other wasps. It's a good way to get layed to seige.
I don't care! The other morning I was woken up by the sting of a hornet which had flown through my open window and into my bed. It obviously couldn't escape and when I moved my hand it stung me. Needless to say it hurt. Having rinsed my hand under cold water to numb the pain I went back into the room and beat the f***er to death and then some with a large book. Very satisfying.

Did I mention I'm scared of wasps/bees/hornets etc.?

I've found insects are only a real problem when holding barbecue in Summer. Aside from that you get some, but nothing catastrophic.

OK back to the regularly scheduled topic.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wetinuk74

I am British and what you are discussing is what we call shutters. Whet the problem is is this it is it is maybe an old royal english law and the fact you do need planning permission (but a lot of occupiers don't ask for is the reason they had tax. I say check out the laws of England we have laws that we still use that were made as far as the 18th century. I know but our country is still ruled by a monarch.
mizake the mizan

The historical tax on windows is true. That's why there are a lot of buildings such as this:
 -
in the British Isles, where what used to be windows were removed in order to save money.

Dark Jaguar
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Jaguar   E-mail Dark Jaguar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Generally, I always take off a couple screens for access purposes. I tend to use the window to enter and exit my own home more often than most sensible people. Think along the lines of getting on the roof or accidently locking yourself out. Honestly I don't ever open my window except for those reasons so my cats are quite safe. I just use the ol' air conditioner to cool things down.
Posts: 958 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaeger
We Three Blings

I wonder if Kate's friend had just got some extremely garbled information regarding annual road tax for cars.

The tax disc is displayed on the windscreen of the car. Could she have mis-heard some comment on this and extrapolated into a completely different meaning?

- Jaeger

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages