snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Wild Kingdom » toilet training cats?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: toilet training cats?
kjbrasda
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjbrasda   Author's Homepage   E-mail kjbrasda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got a book on training a cat to use a human toilet. I was wondering if anyone else on the board had tried this and succeeded? Any special tips?
thanks!

--------------------
"Long ago, when we all lived in the forest..."
Who are you? Who? Who?

Posts: 1587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 503 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't give you anything from experience, but I did just read a story about it in a book from Stuart McLean based on his show, the Vinyl Cafe on CBC radio. It was quite funny.
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kjbrasda
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjbrasda   Author's Homepage   E-mail kjbrasda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
goofy training book says "don't even try training an unaltered cat" yet later it gives instructions for pregnant cats and their kittens. O_o

--------------------
"Long ago, when we all lived in the forest..."
Who are you? Who? Who?

Posts: 1587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't tried it, but my exSIL successfully trained a cat to use the toilet. It was a slow process, and if she made the whole in the litter pan that sat on the toilet seat bigger at too fast of a rate, he'd refuse to use it. I think it took several months to get him to use the toilet without the litter pan on it. I can't ask her, since she is one of the few ex-relatives I don't talk to anymore.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend who trained hers using a method very much as described Here, so it can be done. As I recall though there were several "relapses" and she finally started using a normal litterbox, at which point the cat gave up on the project entirely. And, I think, a bit smugly.
I tried it briefly with our oldest but moving the litterbox every time we used the toilet ourselves proved to be more of a hassle than scooping the pan.

Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an old english sheepdog that, the only time she ever had a bad enough bout of diarrhea, that she couldn't hold it until I came home from work and let her out, she went in the bathtub! I kid you not! I was completely taken aback. She'd never gone in the bathtub before, why now? Why would she even consider the bathtub? And yet, handheld shower, full-speed ahead, mess is gone, right down the drain. Good girl, Chloe!

But, can't help you on the cat toilet training. Sorry!

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages