snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Wild Kingdom » Virgin dragon prepares to give birth in holiday season

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Virgin dragon prepares to give birth in holiday season
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As Christmas approaches, a virgin mother is anxiously awaiting the arrival of her offspring..

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a good sign...Virginal birth, seven offspring...a dragon..... If one egg "disappears" (the seventh one in fact)....Look for the Anti-Christ in 20 odd years....

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[stupid hijack]

quote:

At eight years old, Flora — whom Buley describes as "demure" — is sexually mature. Having been raised in captivity, she has never been exposed to a male Komodo dragon. She lives with her younger sister, Nessie.

That's why searchers in Scotland can't find Nessie... she's in England!

[/stupid hijack] [fish]

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How cool! I had no idea Komodos (or any vertebrates actually) could do this!

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was aware of parthenogenesis occurring in whiptail lizards and a few other vertebrates (there are no male whiptail lizards) but the fact that it seems to have spontaneously generated in Komodo dragons is really fascinating. On the one hand, as the conservation biologists explained, self-fertilization could be a benefit to boosting the population of this endangered species. On the other hand, self-fertilization doesn't allow for gene flow, and mutations are the only way the offspring could develop increased vigor in that situation.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Luka_the_Pooka
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luka_the_Pooka   E-mail Luka_the_Pooka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my favorite part:

"We were blown away when we realized what she'd done," said Kevin Buley, a reptile expert at Flora's home at the Chester Zoo in this town in northern England. "But we certainly won't be naming any of the hatchlings Jesus."

[lol]

According to Wikipedia, parthenogenesis occurs in some species of plants (such as those that give seedless fruit), water fleas, aphids, bees, wasps, ants, fish, frogs, salamanders, rock lizards, geckos, whiptails, and even a few birds, such as turkeys. Awesome!

--------------------
They left off "Attendance at Satanic Rituals will be mandatory and everyone will be required to eat a kitten, with or without ketchup." - Mouse

Posts: 65 | From: Vancouver, Washington | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
Not a good sign...Virginal birth, seven offspring...a dragon..... If one egg "disappears" (the seventh one in fact)....Look for the Anti-Christ in 20 odd years....

The BBC says there are eight viable eggs...

'Virgin births' for giant lizards

They have a bit more information about the genetics involved too.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 107 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:

The BBC says there are eight viable eggs...

'Virgin births' for giant lizards

They have a bit more information about the genetics involved too.

Then we are safe from the Anti-Christ.......for now...... [lol] (note there is no evil laughter emoticon....)

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 08 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the same article in my email, Richard. This is all so fascinating, isn't it?
quote:
Richard Gibson, an author on the paper and a curator at the Zoological Society of London, said: "Parthenogenesis has been described before in about 70 species of vertebrates, but it has always been regarded to be a very unusual, perhaps abnormal phenomenon."

It has been shown in some snakes, fish, a monitor lizard and even a turkey, he said.

"But we have seen this in two separate, unrelated female Komodo dragons within a year, so this suggests maybe parthenogenesis is much more widespread and common than previously considered."

Emphasis mine.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a near miss in the world of omens, though, wasn't it? The armageddonists must have been really disappointed.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
quote:

It has been shown in some snakes, fish, a monitor lizard and even a turkey, he said.

"But we have seen this in two separate, unrelated female Komodo dragons within a year ..."

Colour me confused. Komodo "dragons" are monitor lizards.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
quote:

"But we have seen this in two separate, unrelated female Komodo dragons within a year ..."

Colour me confused. Komodo "dragons" are monitor lizards.
More specifically, Komodo dragons are the largest species of monitor lizard. (So it's not really redundant.)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking more about the wording in that quote, where whoever said it sort of implied a monitor lizard plus a couple of Komodo dragons.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This explains so much. Jesus was born of parthenogenesis! That explains why Mary "never knew man", and why Jesus is not mentioned to have married in the Bible: he was a semi-clone of Mary, and hence female, living in drag! And it would explain why Paul said that it is a good thing for people to not marry: he wanted MORE people to reproduce by parthenogenesis, like Jesus did, in hope they would be holy.
Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As soon as human women can become pregnant via a process of “wanting to,” or whatever the Komodo dragons were doing, there’s really no point in having men around at all.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
I was thinking more about the wording in that quote, where whoever said it sort of implied a monitor lizard plus a couple of Komodo dragons.

Granted, whoever wrote the piece appears not to have known. But what it means is clear: two Komodo dragons as well as at least one other monitor lizard.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages