snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Wild Kingdom » Live feed from an African water hole (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Live feed from an African water hole
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 502 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an ambient lighting transition period at dusk that causes the image to look hazy. It gets better when full darkness sets in. The waterhole camera seems to switch to black & white (no color) at night. Pete's Pond camera stays on color all the time.

The imapalas are amazing animals. Too bad we don't get to see their "stuff" on these cameras. They run like dolphins.

Have a look

And another

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lions at waterhole!

--------------------

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tweetilynn
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tweetilynn   E-mail tweetilynn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Beautiful, they're the first thing other than birds that I've seen. I saw a single lion who seemed to be feeding on a left over kill. The high point of my day!

--------------------
LOVE: the condition in which the welfare and happiness of another become essential to your own.
-Jubal Harshaw

Posts: 89 | From: Eagle Rock, Virginia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here, kitty kitty!

So cool!

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
justusfour
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justusfour     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter asks me at least 4-5 times a day if we can watch the "water-hole". She especially loved the elephant yesterday! We absolutely love this.

--------------------
"Is there anything fluffier than a cloud? If there is, I don't want to know about it."

Posts: 66 | From: Cowtown TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drainfluid
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drainfluid   E-mail Drainfluid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barns & No Bull:

The imapalas are amazing animals. Too bad we don't get to see their "stuff" on these cameras. They run like dolphins.

Their "stuff" is called "pronking"

Its actually a form of psychological warfare against predators that tells them: "I am so fast and strong I can do this, so don't bother trying to catch me 'cause you can't"

Posts: 305 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A nice sied herd of zebra just showed up, along with a baby zebra. Lots of impala, and 4 giraffes just hanging out drinking. [Smile]

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gazelles (I think), and a warthog at the water hole now.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Walter, the Wonder Warthog, is taking a mud bath.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And now Gerald, the Giraffe, is taking a drink.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drainfluid:
quote:
Originally posted by Barns & No Bull:

Their "stuff" is called "pronking"

Its actually a form of psychological warfare against predators that tells them: "I am so fast and strong I can do this, so don't bother trying to catch me 'cause you can't"

Hi DF. I remember seeing tommies (Thomson's Gazelle) and springboks pronking (aka "stotting") on television when I was a kid. It really impressed me. I agree about the display being a deterrent to predators and have read the same theory.

But I don't think the impalas in the videos I linked were pronking. Those are high jumps during a herd run. A pronk is something else that is done as a display in full view of the predator. Pronking involves repeated near vertical leaps that don't translate to lots of ground being covered. It's a display done before any potential pursuit and it probably has a benefit of letting the predator know that it has already been seen (no ambush possible anymore).

When you see the tommies and springboks do the pronk it sets a whole new standard. I don't think impalas are in their league and I wonder if they use a true pronk at all.

I found an interesting video of impalas displaying to each other. Watch the full extension of the rear quarters during the jump.

Springbok doing the pronk. As soon as he hits the ground he bounces back up again, like a pogo stick...

-

--------------------

tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter insists that Santa's reindeer live at the waterhole. She tells people that she watches Santa's reindeer and Moe & Gerty (the 2 regular geese)

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 502 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the most interesting daily events at waterhole is the morning wake-up of the birds. At about 4:10am Africa the birds start singing and calling just ahead of the sunrise. This time is 8:10 CST in the USA. It's a great time to hear a whole bunch of birds trying to out-do each other. None of them really know why they do it.

ETA: I should mention that the bird singing extravaganza peaks at about sunrise (4:50am Africa).

--------------------

frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The screen is blank right now but the sound is on. I wish I could see what is making the noise that sounds like a bodacious belch!

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, most times... I just saw one of them fall less than gracefully on it's ass when it tried to run in two directions at once.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moth Drone
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth Drone   E-mail Moth Drone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Crocs at both the watering hole and the National Geographic site!

They were showing a heard of wildabeats and gazells at the watering hole just moments ago.

I'd only checked when it was night there before and didn't see much. Much cooler in the daylight.

So addicting. I even like listening to the variety of sounds if nothing else.

Posts: 182 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moth Drone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth Drone   E-mail Moth Drone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooo, they're showing a closeup of a giraffe bending down to drink right now. My day has been officially made!
Posts: 182 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Allecher
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 211 posted      Profile for Allecher   E-mail Allecher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ohhh, Moth Drone, I saw it too! I couldn't decide if it was live or recorded. What do you think?

I found a Daylight in a graph site which allows you to compare your local time to the time in other countries. This makes it easier for me to know when the watering hole will be hopping.

That site also makes me glad I don't live in UK - right now they have 2 hours less daylight than we do in the southern US. [Eek!]

Posts: 54 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moth Drone

I'm hoping it was live. I don't want it to spoil my Christmas Eve miracle if I find out otherwise.

Thanks for the light graph, Allecher. All the previous times I'd logged in it was dark and nothing was going on. I'd almost given up. But all of today's action made me want to return. I had to log off as soon as the giraffe stopped drinking otherwise I'd never get in the shower this morning. [Big Grin]

Tom o' Bedlam

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom o' Bedlam   E-mail Tom o' Bedlam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Very cool site! Wish I'd seen this topic sooner.

At the moment I'm being treated to a pride of lions enjoying an afternoon meal...

EDIT: They don't seem in much of a hurry to eat the thing, though. Looks like they're just hanging around next to it, trying to get some shade under a small shrub.

--------------------
Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,
Bedlam boys are bonny,
For they all go bare and they live by the air
And they want no drink nor money!

Posts: 107 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I caught some pics this morning. Most are of them eating their kill but here is one that isn't so graphic. While they are not overly graphic, I know some people don't want to see animals eating their kill so the rest are here.
 -

--------------------

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awwww, lions!

I just popped it open right now and was very surprised to see them. My first lions. These guys look gorged!

Is there something wrong with the live feed? I click into it, and then 22 seconds in, it stops and I have to restart the program. Is it looped on this shot of the lions?

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

It does that when there is heavy traffic.

--------------------

Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one is eating his kill right now.

How cool!

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Man, that is the most inelegant picture of a lion I have ever seen. Sprawled flat on its back with its big gorge-filled belly sticking out. Looks like it is sleeping peacefully, though.

I wonder; did the lions kill the water buffalo themselves, or did the lodge just think this would be a great holiday live feed, and presented the lions with a "Christmas present"?

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smallpotatoes
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smallpotatoes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the forum at the Africam , the lions killed it themselves. It happened just off camera range, but several people heard it. It was apparently not very pleasant sounding! And btw, it's a cape buffalo. Water buffalo are native to Asia. [Big Grin]

Jaci

Posts: 47 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cape? I thought it looked more like a topcoat. (Oh, I just kill me!)
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If my cats panted as much as those lions do I would be worried about them having heat stroke.

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

While I would love to see these big cats in the wild, I think this would make me a tad nervous:

-
 -

--------------------

Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tribrats, thanks for posting those pix. I can never get the live feed (!) to work for me. Those are some fat-and-happy lions.

I figure that's what my cats look like about an hour after I leave the house for a weekend with extra food put out for them.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hyenas at the water hole! And a little bit ago I saw a jackel.

ETA: I think their sound system is having trouble. Sometimes I hear a buzzing noise and it cuts out a bit.

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

No problem! In case anyone is interested in doing their own screen captures, I used the free version of Fraps.

--------------------

Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that's a lion drinking at the waterhole right now. I'd love to see one in the daytime but that's pretty cool!

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mycroft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mycroft   E-mail Mycroft   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I saw the Buffalo shots yesterday there 2 lionesses starting to eat it and the lion drinking.
Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

I caught this bit of cuteness a little while ago. The one male came over and rubbed heads with the other male.

-

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages