snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Wild Kingdom » Live feed from an African water hole (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Live feed from an African water hole
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 502 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if anyone here has seen this before:
http://live.wildlife.wavelit.net/451OK
It is a live webcam looking at a watering hole on a nature preserve in South Africa.
So far I've only seen some sort of duck, but other folks have seen zebras, monkeys, hyenas, etc.
Pretty cool.
The website for the cam is http://www.wavelit.com/index.asp?ch=Wildlife&sh=africam#

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kingfan1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingfan1978     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's really cool, Monza! Thanks for the link!

--------------------
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Posts: 411 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Daniceguy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Very cool! I just saw a small group of antelope drinking and then wandering off. The camera followed them until they were out of sight.

Thanks Monza305!

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They're cheating - that's not live. Each time I've clicked it, the clouds have been in exactly the same position and the same bird has flown across the picture about three seconds in, after which nothing much happens...

Maybe it's some sort of buffering or cacheing.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe there's a bomb on the bus.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There does seem to be some sort of buffering problem. When I first found it, I watched for like 45 minutes with no problems. Now I only get 12 seconds before it says it's buffering. It started happening right after I saw the deer. [Confused]

--------------------

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now I only get 12 seconds before it says it's buffering.
That's the same thing I'm getting. I wonder if too many people are trying to connect then their server(s) can stream.
Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 502 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ILS:
quote:
Now I only get 12 seconds before it says it's buffering.
That's the same thing I'm getting. I wonder if too many people are trying to connect then their server(s) can stream.
Snopes broke the webcam!

Actually, right now it's pitch-dark night at the waterhole, so they probably are displaying some kind of tape loop instead of just showing a dark screen.

Sign on at 3:00 am and see if it's showing a live stream then.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hours earlier when I looked all I saw was a short recorded piece. Now it seems to be working. It is night and I have seen a lot of what are probably bats. The night sounds are pretty loud. It sounds like crickets and frogs. I think I have also heard bats clicking. I also heard something that sounded like an animal walking around but it didn't come into view.

-kitoboo

ETA I just heard what might have been monkeys howling.

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen a few birds fly across at differing angles so it looks like the live feed is back.
The sounds are vibrant. The odd 'thump' can be heard every so often.

Cool webcam.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! A large herd of water buffalo!
Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bear68
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bear68   E-mail Bear68   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
BIG HERD OF WATERBUFFALO NOw!!!!
Posts: 6 | From: Lake Worth, FL | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is so cool!

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see the water buffalo too. Holy cow! I was just watching a few minutes ago & there was nothing.

--------------------

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not only water buffalo or wildabeest or whatever large cattle animals, but you can see meteorites! We're missing the Leonids here -- it's been cloudy for a week.

Very, very cool!

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Woo-hoo!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monza305:
Holy cow!

[fish]

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not seeing meteorites, but bugs or bats caught in the floodlights.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

I think those meteorites are actually bats. [Smile]

ETA Nevermind. I think I see bats and meteorites. [lol]

Monza305

quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
quote:
Originally posted by Monza305:
Holy cow!

[fish]
Ha! I didn't mean to make a punny. [Smile]

--------------------

kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Zebras!
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*sigh* Just Bono takin' a skinny-dip with Kofi Annan in the ole' swimmin' hole. Can't we, the world, ever leave those two lovers in privacy!?!

My cat is goin' absolutely crazy right now, though, with all the bizarre bird sounds. This really is a remarkable site.

ETA: I just saw some sort of deer or gazelle or whatever the hell it was takin' a drink. So the rumors are, indeed, true: Four legs, water hole. Two legs, Aquafina.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone else on a Mac and having difficulties? I haven't been able to get the website or the video to load [Frown]

I wanna see too [Frown]

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305

9:15 am eastern time.

We have a monkey masturbating.

No joke!

He wasn't going all the way, but he was jerking his wang around. I didn't know they did that.

--------------------

Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he was scratching his leg, your honour. At least, he was when I looked.

(edit) Maybe it was a different monkey. Your post is ten minutes before mine.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aw. Baby baboon-type thing grooming mummy baboon-type thing. *warm fuzzies*

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305

The one I saw was squatting. He was playing with it for about 30 secs. or so, then he stood up & walked away with it dangling a little. [Eek!]

I'd rather talk about the grooming mommy & baby though. I've seen that before on nature shows, but it seems much cooler live on a webcam.

That camera's got one heck of a zoom too.

--------------------

Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just saw them zoom in. Looks like a small group of baboons now, but they're currently focusing on one (male, I think.)

Now they've zoomed out again. Baboons are little specks.

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305

quote:
Originally posted by black roses 19:
Is anyone else on a Mac and having difficulties? I haven't been able to get the website or the video to load [Frown]

I wanna see too [Frown]

Look back at the OP. There is a link to the main website. There they have links to download the media player for Macs.

--------------------

Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Several baboons wandering around now (at least four.) Some drinking. Who's manning the zoom? They've kind of dropped the ball, there could have been some really cool closeups.

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Ooooh, antelope! And a couple of baby antelope!

ETA: Dammit, they're gone now! Just the water hole from another angle.

After all that panning too.

--------------------

Stan The Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan The Man   E-mail Stan The Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'm hooked. No work will get done today.

--------------------
"A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead" - Stan Laurel

Posts: 249 | From: Dallas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto. I haven't seen any animals yet but what I can only assume are some sort of primate in the background are really making a fuss!

I'm definitely keeping this on and checking back periodically today. Just listening to the sounds is fascinating.

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's great for someone interested in African bird calls. I can easily ID most American birds by sound, but I'm clueless with almost all of these.

They should stick a Nile croc in that waterhole for some real action scenes.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Night falls and the dominant sounds switch from birds to insects.

I believe I heard a nearby big cat growl, immediately followed by monkey alarm calls. It sounded more like a leopard than a lion.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages