snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Wild Kingdom » Baby Squirrels! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Baby Squirrels!
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 99 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Clumsy definitely seems to be feeling better. When the kids aren't home, we go out and check the house and so far we haven't seen any more liquid poo. She seems to have gotten over her tummy bug. As for her leg, she still seems to be favoring it a little, but I saw her go up a tree with no problem at all. It doesn't appear to be slowing her down any.

And Friendly is just as friendly as ever. He's figured out that the big pink primates that visit from time to time are the ones that bring the corn cobs. When he sees us, he runs up and tries to climb up on us to get at the yummy corn in our hand. [lol]

And we're trying a new food for them. They are cylinders of ground corn meal that are supposed to be just as good but last much longer than the dried corn we've been giving them. So far only Friendly has nibbled at it a bit, but he still obviously prefers the corn as he is out there now chewing on the cob on the porch of the squirrel house. The wild squirrels are not impressed -- probably because it's new and they have to get used to it.

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got some video of Clumsy and Friendly in the backyard. I wanted to show everyone that Miss Clumsy Ann is getting along ok.

Here's the first:

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n192/DnDChick/Squirrels/?action=viewĄt=HPIM0590.flv&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch20

And the second:

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n192/DnDChick/Squirrels/?action=viewĄt=HPIM0591.flv&refPage=all&imgAnch=imgAnch21

The second video has an impromptu cameo of me at the very end! [Smile]

And Clumsy is getting more and more comfortable with us. Soon after I made those videos, I was just sitting in the backyard watching her forage, trying to see if I could see any injury on her leg or anything. During her scampering, she eventually came up to me and even climbed up onto my legs for a few seconds and sniffed around. Then she hopped down and continued looking for acorns.

It was a brief moment of contact, but it was significant. I feel honored. [Smile]

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They are awfully cute. I'm glad Clumsy is better.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think so too! [Big Grin]

I just love the way Friendly came running when he saw me. I'd like to think that it was recognition and a desire to be with me, but I know it's more likely that he came bounding at me because he was hoping I had a corncob. lol

Bad news, though ... the babies are starting to fight. Bill and I were watching them today and they were both inside the house. Through the entrace we could see what for all the world looked like a little squirrelly boxing match. Paws were flying, there was a tussle of fur, and every now and then a bushy tail would pop out of the entrace as they jostled for position.

I suppose squirrels are territorial, that makes sense. Now that they are getting older, the instinct to defend territory is starting to kick in. I told Bill that he might have to make another squirrel house to keep the two seperate if this gets worse.

--------------------

TallGeekyGirl

We've started giving them raw, in-shell, unsalted peanuts as a little treat, and that seems to have exacerbated the fighting. Bill even had to separate them today in a squabble over the peanuts. I think we definitely need to make another squirrel-house to separate them, while Bill thinks it's just instinctive "survival of the fittest" fighting over food because winter is coming.

We can't agree on how best to raise the children. [lol]

--------------------

TallGeekyGirl

Icon 97 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Clumsy is definitely all better now. She isn't favoring her leg anymore, and unlike last week she isn't unsteady when she scampers across the top of the privacy fence. Heck, she can even run full speed up there again!

I got a demonstration of that this morning. I came home from work, and took a new corn cob and a handful of peanuts out there. When I got to the squirrel-house, nobody was home. Friendly and Clumsy were both out in the trees somewhere. So, I replaced the corn cob and cleaned off their porch. I was just going to leave the peanuts on the porch but suddenly, movement caught my eye.

Darting down the fence, top speed, were to small grey blurs with fluffy tails! Both Friendly and Clumsy were sprinting towards me as fast as their little legs could take them. [lol]

I held out my hand, and they each took a peanut and tore into it voraciously. I don't think they even noticed the new corn cob. Clumsy took hers inside, and Friendly just sat on the roof to eat his. I left the other peanuts, one for each, where they could get to them and let them finish their breakfast in peace.

So, Clumsy is 100% all better, and the peanuts are VERY popular with them. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay! Thanks for sharing your adorable squirrel pics and stories.

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do please keep sharing your Clumsy and Friendly stories with us - they really light up my day!

Barbara

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl

Gladly! It lights up my day to have these experiences. [Smile]

--------------------

TallGeekyGirl

Icon 503 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Squirrel Wars: Attack of the Cats!

A little while ago, I noticed something bigger than a squirrel out on the squirrel house. It was getting dark, but I could tell it was a cat!

I moved to the back door, and from there I could barely make out one of the babies only a few feet away from the cat!! We have several neighborhood cats in the area, and every now and again one passes through. Most of the local squirrels are crafty enough to not let them get close, but this time the cat was just a short jump away!

The cat charged, and the squirrel took off like a shot down the fence and up a tree. I flipped on the back light and ran out and chased off the cat, then went back and got a handful of peanuts to see if I could coax the baby back down. I wanted to make sure it wasn't hurt.

I was out there at the squirrel house for a few minutes. By then it was so dark I couldn't see, but soon I heard little claws scrabbling down the fence towards me. It was Friendly. Even with the porch light on I couldn't tell if he was hurt or not, but he showed no interest in the peanuts. He paused for a moment to sniff them, his little sides heaving in and out, then just darted into the house. I popped a few peanuts into the house, and in a few moments I heard quiet crunching coming from the far corner.

I don't know where Clumsy is right now, but I've been going out every few minutes to see if she is out there. It's after dark now, and usually both of them are all nestled down in a warm little squirrel-ball by now.

She better come home soon or I won't get any sleep tonight. [Frown]

--------------------

TallGeekyGirl

I'm starting to wonder if it was a cat that hurt Clumsy's leg and got her so stressed out last week.

I like cats and all, but... damn... not if they're gonna eat my squirrels! :mad

--------------------

glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TallGeekyGirl, if I read correctly, the cat was on the squirrel house, right? If that's the case, you should hope the babies don't go back there. It isn't a safe place, and if they're going to survive, they need to know that and find a safer place to hang out. Stinks, I know. [Frown]
Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl

Yeah, I know. We chase the cats away when we see them. I think last night it was a case of a nocturnal hunter and a diurnal forager. Friendly couldn't really see the cat any better than I could, and it got uncomfortably close. The box is deep enough and the porch narrow enough that a cat can't reach through the entry hole.

Anyway, Friendly has been at the squirrel house or in the backyard all day, but Clumsy's not back yet. We haven't seen her since yesterday. I don't think a cat got her, though. She's disappeared like this before and eventually came home.

As soon as we see her again, I'll let everyone know.

--------------------

TallGeekyGirl

We haven't seen any hint of Clumsy in days now. She and Friendly had been fighting more and more over the last several days before she disappeared, and she had been spending more and more time away. I know this was the whole point of having her released, but it's hard to let go when you've gotten attached. Bill and I both believe that she just ran off to live as a wild squirrel. The alternative is just unacceptable to us. [Frown]

Friendly is still around, though. He has the squirrel house all to himself, and is just as friendly and happy to see us as ever... especially if we have peanuts. [lol]

--------------------

TallGeekyGirl

Friendly is getting into "hoarding mode." His little squirrel house has a few peanuts and acorns piled in one corner. He has also taken to burying peanuts we give him.

-

I love the way he pats down everything with his little paws. So cute! :lol

--------------------

TallGeekyGirl

Icon 99 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Possible Clumsy sighting!

I think Clumsy was in the back yard a few times today. Bill and I were watching Friendly and we noticed another small squirrel about his size not far away. Clumsy liked peanuts, too, and would let me get close enough for her to take it, so I brought one out to see if I could give it to this squirrel.

She didn't let me get close, and scurried away into a tree. That happened twice. If it is Clumsy, she's gotten skittish around humans again. I don't remember there being any other squirrels around Friendly's age in the back yard, so chances are it is her. Yay!

I was glad to see her (if it was her at all), and if she is going wild then I am certainly glad to see that she's not letting people get close.

Friendly, though... he's hopeless. He's as tame and unafraid of humans as a squirrel can get. [lol]

And he has a leak-proofed roof now! We are supposed to get a lot of rain in the next few days, and a while ago we discovered that the roof of the squirrel house leaks at the hinge. Today, Bill took apart a garbage bag and stapled it over the roof securely. Friendly should stay nice and dry! [Big Grin]

--------------------

TallGeekyGirl

I got a few new video clips this morning!

First, Friendly demonstrates his "Peanut Happy Dance." Then I give an update on where Bill and I think Clumsy is staying in a nearby tree.
 -

Next, Friendly is "mah skwerl." [Big Grin]
 -

--------------------

Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TallGeekyGirl, you SO need to submit that "mah skwerl" video to cuteoverload! Cuteness abounds! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Syllavus:
TallGeekyGirl, you SO need to submit that "mah skwerl" video to cuteoverload! Cuteness abounds! [Big Grin]

I second that!
That is so unbelievably cute.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl

I've submitted a few pics of Friendly and/or Clumsy to CO but the haven't been posted. The 'may skwerl' video is cute, but for CO I need to catch Friendly doing something mind-blowingly cute...

--------------------

Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I know, CO receives ridiculous amounts of submissions per day, so don't be surprised if months go by and suddenly Friendly is the pocket pet of the day. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl

It's been a while since I've udpated the Friendly Story. [Big Grin]

There really isn't much to say other than he is getting fat. He looks like a furry baseball with a fluffy tail! If Friendly knows anything about being a squirrel, it's how to fatten up for winter.

He has also become more social with the neighborhood squirrels. We've seen him chasing and romping with them, and every now and then he gets up enough dander to chase them off his porch when they sneak up there to eat his corn.

The only one he doesn't chase off is one Bill and I call "Upside-Down Squirrel." This is a squirrel that hangs from its hind legs off one corner of Friendly's box to get at the corn cob on his porch. For some reason, this odd little rodent doesn't actually get on the porch... it just hangs upside-down to much on one side of the corn cob while Friendly munches on the other. One day, I hope to get a picture of Upside-Down Squirrel, but he is wild and whenever we go out back he scampers up a tree.

Friendly has kept his peanut additction, and learns that when the back door opens the Humans come out and usually have peanuts. Whenever we go out the back door he pops his little head out of his box and stares at us until we bring him a peanut. Bill said that he's starting to feel like he is leaving tribute for the Godfather, so I've given Friendly the nickname "Don Squirreleone."

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB CodeÖ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages