snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » Fighting Speeding Tickets (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fighting Speeding Tickets
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got a speeding ticket on my way home from NYC. I was going 81 in a 55 zone, so I'm in deep you-know-what. It was one of those sneaky short 55 zones wedged between 65 zones for no apparant reason. I live in Pennsylvania, got the ticket in New Jersey, and go to college in Maine.

At first, I had faint hope that the states did not communicate with each other (unlikely, since they're right next to each other, but a chance was a chance), but apparantly since 2005, violations will be reported to a central Motor Vehicle Commission, which only a few states do not participate in, so there's no chance at all there.

I'm really worried about what this would do to my insurance. I'm 20, previously with no points, so my insurance was somewhat expensive, but I think with this ticket it would skyrocket. I'm not even sure I could afford to pay. Not to mention the ticket itself, which will be over $200.

As such, I'm strongly considering fighting the ticket. But it's not a decision to make lightly, as I would have to travel quite a bit to the area where I got the ticket. A court date is on the ticket, scheduled for a time while I will be at college in Maine - a 6 or 7 hour drive from where I got the ticket. So my first question is, what do you think my chances of moving the court date will be? If I could move it to before I go back to school, (by Jan 20) or during spring break (in March), I could be either at home or at my girlfriends, either 2 or 1 hours away from where I got the ticket, which would be much more reasonable.

More importantly, since I'm going to try that almost no matter what, I'm curious as to the experience that snopesters have had fighting traffic violations. I hear that the success rate is often quite high, as the officer often does not show and the ticket is thrown out. But I'm very curious to see what other people's experiences have been. Also, has anyone pled to a lesser charge (a non-moving violation which will not give points)? If I could somehow do that out of court, that would be amazing, but I'm not sure how likely that it is.

(ETA: I also just found out about the possibility of attending traffic school to mitigate the points, so if anyone has any experience with this, please share! [Smile] )

So I'd love to hear your story on how you fought a ticket, whether you won or lost.

Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What would be your basis for fighting the ticket? Were you not speeding, or did I miss something?

Traffic school is usually the best option if it is available, but IIRC it is not an option if you choose to fight the ticket and lose.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I probably was speeding, but I'm not too proud to get off on a technicality. I was surprised to see how high he clocked me going - he had me at 81, but I thought I was going about 75. (I also thought the speed limit was 65, in which case I would technically be speeding, but probably not have been pulled over).

First and foremost, if I were to challenge it I would hope that the officer would simply not show up. From what I hear, in most cases if the officer does not show in court the charges are dismissed. I would like to see if this has been the case for "real" people here on snopes.

If I were to have to fight it, there were two routes I might take. First off, it was dark and not amazingly well lit. My PA truck has no front plate, and I highly doubt he was able to read my plate as I was going by in the dark. Since my truck is not all that different from other light trucks, which are fairly common (it's a Dodge Dakota), it seems pretty likely that he could have mistaken me for someone else. It was a while till he actually pulled me over, too - it must have been at least a minute, and so over a mile down the road. A case of mistaked identity seems plausible, as there was some traffic on the road. (He even marked "Moderate traffic" on the ticket).

Another route I might take was inadequate signs. The speed limit had previously been 65 and became 65 shortly thereafter. Frankly, it's a real asshat place to set a speed trap. I'm not sure if there was even a 55 mph sign before where he radared me (I remember the place, and got a picture on google maps). If there was no sign, I thought maybe that would be of benefit. However, since I would have been speeding in a 65 zone as well, I'm not sure how much good that would do.

It's looking like if I can take traffic school to eliminate the points, that's what I'll do. I have to look into it further. But like I said, difficulties may arise from my being far away from the area I got ticketed. If that's not an option, it seems like fighting it may be my best bet, even if it's just on the chance that the officer doesn't show. I'm guessing that this ticket will increase my insurance by hundreds or even thousands of dollars each year, and I'm not sure I can affort that. I certainly don't want to have to pay it.

I'm not too proud to get off on a technicality.

Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With regards to fighting the ticket, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. You were doing 26 miles over the limit. Even if you thought it was a 65 zone, you were still 16 over the limit.

I would look into traffic school. Some states have it available online, so the distance from where you received the ticket would be immaterial.

Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Another route I might take was inadequate signs. The speed limit had previously been 65 and became 65 shortly thereafter. Frankly, it's a real asshat place to set a speed trap. I'm not sure if there was even a 55 mph sign before where he radared me (I remember the place, and got a picture on google maps). If there was no sign, I thought maybe that would be of benefit. However, since I would have been speeding in a 65 zone as well, I'm not sure how much good that would do.
If the signs are not apropriately posted, you might get away with it, or at least make it a lesser violation. That wouldn't be "getting off on a technicality", it would actually be helping the authorities as they have made an error and should be made aware of it.

Watch out though. I don't know about the US, but in Sweden, inadequate signs does not mean that the previous speed applies. It means that the base speed applies (which is 50 km/h within urban areas and 70 km/h on open roads), so you may actually put yourself in a worse position.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cageboy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cageboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Assuming you were about 500 miles away from here (based off your 75mph for 7 hours spread) your travel costs per the $.44 per mile rule are around $220 anyway. So just pay the fine and take the course to reduce your insurance.

NY & NJ have fun State Troopers. The fun part is unlike small towns, State Troopers get their schedules around their court dates. If this was some small town yes, you might get off. Excluding a death in the officers family you will be found guilty. The only clear charges I've seen are if you can prove that the radar was faulty- you were next to a large truck (too much science to explain here), they used a laser in super bright sun/nighttime or some freak of nature you will be found guilty.

Posts: 10 | From: Billings, MT | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
7thWheel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7thWheel   E-mail 7thWheel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a limo driver the best advice I can give you is to fight it with the help of a lawyer. I have never used this link because I've never been busted in NJ but they might be able to help.

http://www.tixnix.com/ticket/nj-new-jersey/speeding-traffic-ticket.cfm

Posts: 59 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the insurance increase, check with your agent before you make assumptions. My agent said that a single speeding ticket wouldn't change my insurance at all and it didn't. At the time, I was an unmarried male under 25, so I would think that would be the group most likely to be surcharged for a ticket.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It always amazes me how people willingly break the law and then try to squirm out of the consequences. Pay the ticket and stop speeding. It's as simple as that. You said you couldn't afford it. Well, you should have thought of that before you decided to speed. Most court systems will set up a payment option. You might check on that. As cageboy said, it'll cost you as much in the long run to fight it, and you will probably lose. As GenYus said, one ticket is usually not enough to cause a large increase in your insurance premium, but keep it up and see what happens.

By the way, for those of you who haven't seen it, the new snopes message board is here: http://message.snopes.com/index.php
Try it, you'll like it!

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by El Camino:
[QB] I hear that the success rate is often quite high, as the officer often does not show and the ticket is thrown out.

[/b]
I think that's a UL. I would think that the an officer's schedule would allow for court dates. Him not showing would be unlikely.
quote:

Also, has anyone pled to a lesser charge (a non-moving violation which will not give points)? If I could somehow do that out of court, that would be amazing, but I'm not sure how likely that it is.
[/quote][/b]
AFAIK, the purpose of pleading to a lesser charge is because the prosecution is not certain that a jury will convict and would prefer to allow a defendant to make a deal in exchange for a guilty plea. If the defence is equally unsure, they might agree.
In traffic court, you do not get a jury, you get a judge (or a clerk). The evidence is already presented (the officer's ticket is testimony that he witnessed your infraction) and now you get to tell the judge why you are not guilty (lack of signs, officer was incorrect about your speed, etc). If you convince the judge, he will dismiss the ticket.

Basically, you need to be able to tell the judge why you do not deserve this ticket. If you are fighting the ticket "just because," you will not do well.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
El Camino, I'm glad you're not proud of what you're contemplating. Your excuses really are an attempt to not take responsibility for your behavior.

1. First off, it was dark and not amazingly well lit. My PA truck has no front plate, and I highly doubt he was able to read my plate as I was going by in the dark. Since my truck is not all that different from other light trucks, which are fairly common (it's a Dodge Dakota), it seems pretty likely that he could have mistaken me for someone else. It was a while till he actually pulled me over, too - it must have been at least a minute, and so over a mile down the road. A case of mistaked identity seems plausible, as there was some traffic on the road. (He even marked "Moderate traffic" on the ticket).

But it was you. You know it was you. If the officer shows in court (and I wouldn't count on him not showing), are you willing to perjure yourself and say it wasn't you? And "at least a minute" at 81 mph is less than a mile down the road. During that time, he was in the process of catching up to you, and most likely had a visual on you the whole time. And the whole "it was dark" thing ain't gonna cut it - if it was that dark, even the maximum posted speed may be too fast, let alone going faster.

2. Another route I might take was inadequate signs. The speed limit had previously been 65 and became 65 shortly thereafter. Frankly, it's a real asshat place to set a speed trap. I'm not sure if there was even a 55 mph sign before where he radared me (I remember the place, and got a picture on google maps). If there was no sign, I thought maybe that would be of benefit. However, since I would have been speeding in a 65 zone as well, I'm not sure how much good that would do.

Just because there was no apparent reason to you for the 55 mph zone, doesn't mean there isn't, in fact, a reason. There could be many many reasons why that part of the road is 55 mph. And, as Troberg stated, a lack of signage may not be your friend either. In CA, where there are no signs on highways, the prima facie speed limit is 55.

I'm with SDD here. Pay the ticket and stop speeding. Learn a lesson. When you screw up, you own up and take the consequences, as sucky as they are.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first step in winning a court case is to be right in the first place. (In a perfect world, that's all it would take.) You are not right, and therefore you would be taking a big risk in trying to fight the system. City Hall is hard enough to fight when you're 100% right.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If I were to have to fight it, there were two routes I might take. First off, it was dark and not amazingly well lit.

A good reason why you should have slowed down.
I will quote from the MA Driver's Handbook (because I couldn't find NJ's):

"The fundamental speed law for motor vehicles is that you must never travel faster than is reasonable and proper for the current conditions and public safety."

It also goes on to state "If you were driving 40 mph in a heavy rainstorm on a highway with a posted speed limit of 50 mph, you could be issued a citation for driving too fast for the conditions." a site to find states' handbooks

Basically, this route would require you to tell the judge that you beleived that the speed you were traveling was safe for the conditions of a poorly lit road.

Don't bet on it.

quote:

My PA truck has no front plate, and I highly doubt he was able to read my plate as I was going by in the dark. Since my truck is not all that different from other light trucks, which are fairly common (it's a Dodge Dakota), it seems pretty likely that he could have mistaken me for someone else. It was a while till he actually pulled me over, too - it must have been at least a minute, and so over a mile down the road. A case of mistaked identity seems plausible, as there was some traffic on the road. (He even marked "Moderate traffic" on the ticket).

Were you traveling the speed limit when he finally pulled you over? Did he pull you over for something other than speeding and then give you the speeding ticket? I don't quite understand your arguement here.

It is more likely that he followed you for some time to give you a chance to see him and slow down or he was runing you plates in preperation for stopping you.
quote:

Again, it goes toward the road conditions. The road was not well lit, he can cite you even if you were traveling the posted limit.
He could also argue that there is adequate signage but you didn't see it because the road was poorly lit and because you were speeding.

You admit that you were above what you thought was the posted limit. You were in an area where (according to your description) you should have considered slowing down. And the cop is likely to show up. I suggest paying the fine, you have no case.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gordon Fan
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gordon Fan   E-mail Gordon Fan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Was it on Route 80? If it was, there is a sign that says reduced speed ahead near the top of the hill. I travel that area every day. My last speeding ticket was May 2005 and PA didn't get a record of it. If you don't pay the fine on time PA will most likely find out you got a speeding ticket.
Posts: 13 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michigan Girl
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michigan Girl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's some info on fighting tickets (I haven't ever done it before): National Motorists Association

I used to live in NJ. I had to go to court for something else, and people were lined up to talk to the prosecutor to plead their tickets down, so that is an option. They also have soemthing else in NJ (I don't know what it's called) where you plead to it and pay a lot more $ but get little or no points.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
~ Yep, I'm in Michigan ~ My blog http://catsrule2k.blogspot.com/
I am not willing to give up my constitutional freedoms just because I have nothing to hide

Posts: 142 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Fan:
quote:

Was it on Route 80? If it was, there is a sign that says reduced speed ahead near the top of the hill. I travel that area every day. My last speeding ticket was May 2005 and PA didn't get a record of it. If you don't pay the fine on time PA will most likely find out you got a speeding ticket.
No, it was on 287 just after the 87 - 287 split. I'm not sure about the speed limit sign thing, but I do know it was 65 shortly beforehand and I saw a 55 sign right after I saw the squad car. There may or may not have been another sign beforehand, I would of course have to check the site again before I would use that defense in court. And I don't think I would in any case, as all it would get me was at best a reduced charge.

And it looks like you lucked out with the timing of the ticket. On my ticket it says, "...a record of this conviction will be sent to the motor vehicle commission (MVC) that issued your license effective September 30, 2005." It's too bad, it looks like before that I would have not had the insurance problem.

El Camino
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
AFAIK, the purpose of pleading to a lesser charge is because the prosecution is not certain that a jury will convict and would prefer to allow a defendant to make a deal in exchange for a guilty plea. If the defence is equally unsure, they might agree.
In traffic court, you do not get a jury, you get a judge (or a clerk). The evidence is already presented (the officer's ticket is testimony that he witnessed your infraction) and now you get to tell the judge why you are not guilty (lack of signs, officer was incorrect about your speed, etc). If you convince the judge, he will dismiss the ticket.

Basically, you need to be able to tell the judge why you do not deserve this ticket. If you are fighting the ticket "just because," you will not do well.

Plea bargains don't occur just when the state is not sure it will get a conviction. First off, in any trial there is a chance the accused will get off on some technicality (for example, the officer not showing up in court for some reason, or his radar not being calibrated recently enough). Also, trials are not free, and the state will lose money on the trial, even including any court fees. Not to mention the inconvenience to the officer and whatnot. It may be easier for them to agree to a plea to a non-moving violation. Then everyone pretty much gets what they want. The county gets their fine money, I don't get my points, everyone wins.
El Camino
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Roadie:
But it was you. You know it was you. If the officer shows in court (and I wouldn't count on him not showing), are you willing to perjure yourself and say it wasn't you? And "at least a minute" at 81 mph is less than a mile down the road. During that time, he was in the process of catching up to you, and most likely had a visual on you the whole time. And the whole "it was dark" thing ain't gonna cut it - if it was that dark, even the maximum posted speed may be too fast, let alone going faster.

Frankly, I don't know it was me. I mean, it seems pretty likely, but I certainly don't know that it was, in fact, me. I was not looking at my spedometer when he radared me, and did not look until I slowed down, at which point I was going well under the speed he radared me at (at about 65). I was quite surprised when the ticket showed he clocked me at 81 mph. That's honestly significantly faster than I expected. I usually travel at about 75 or so on a 65 road with light enought traffic, and expected to be going at about that fast. And there was other traffic on the road, enough that it could have been a case of mistaken identity.

As far as the "too fast for conditions" bit people are making, I'm not sure it applies. I mean, it was a highway, after all. It was a fairly straight road, and I do have my headlights on. The officer, on the other hand, is sitting there in the dark with no headlights watching me zoom by at a high rate of speed. I can't imagine he would be able to read my plate as I went by. I'm almost positive he couldn't pick the color of my car out, at least not differentiating it from other common truck colors (it's dark green, which is indistiguishable from other colors like blue and black at night). And unless he knows his trucks well I don't even think he could identify the make and model of it at the initial contact.

And I know he lost visual contact with me. He was facing the other way in the middle of the road, and had to turn around and merge onto a highway with some traffic. Like I said, it was a while until he caught up with me, and I had slowed down after I saw the patrol car. Plenty of other cars where around me, quite likely another light truck. How do I (and the state) know that he didn't radar another light truck instead of me?

Everyone deserves due process. It's a cornerstone of our country's foundation.

El Camino
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
It always amazes me how people willingly break the law and then try to squirm out of the consequences. Pay the ticket and stop speeding. It's as simple as that. You said you couldn't afford it. Well, you should have thought of that before you decided to speed. Most court systems will set up a payment option. You might check on that. As cageboy said, it'll cost you as much in the long run to fight it, and you will probably lose. As GenYus said, one ticket is usually not enough to cause a large increase in your insurance premium, but keep it up and see what happens.

How bout you take the advice of your own sig line, hmm? I'm not making myself out to be any kind of saint here, I'm just trying to make the best out of a bad situation. I don't mind paying the fine, and if it were just that, I wouldn't complain. But if my insurance is going to skyrocket, than I can't take that sitting down.
Gordon Fan
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gordon Fan   E-mail Gordon Fan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pay the ticket and see if your insurance finds out about it. I got a ticket (I've gotten quite a few tickets) in VA for careless driving about 2 1/2 years ago and the VA Trooper said that PA would find out about it. I haven't heard anything about that one either.
Posts: 13 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Everyone deserves due process. It's a cornerstone of our country's foundation.

That's bull. You're in the wrong and you know. Now you're trying to evade your responsability and rationalizing your own cowardice into something noble. But it is not.

Own up and be a man. Or don't that's your choice. But don't expect my sympathy.

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
I don't mind paying the fine, and if it were just that, I wouldn't complain. But if my insurance is going to skyrocket, than I can't take that sitting down.

But you fail to accept that your own actions put you in the position of having one or both of these penalties assigned to you. I don't think it's fair that if I get caught shoplifting, not only do I have to give the stuff back, but I have to *gasp* have criminal charges!!! eleventyone!!! So I'm going to go with the SODDI (some other dude did it) defense, I think. Or hope for a technicality and call it 'due process'. Aren't I noble?

Insurance rates go up for drivers that exhibit behavior that increases the risk of a claim having to be paid by the insurer. You have exhibited one of those behaviors by going too fast. What part of that aren't you willing to accept?

And, I would venture to guess, that for this one time that you have been caught exhibiting that behavior, there have been hundreds of times that you haven't been caught. So really, you've probably been quite fortunate up until now.

ETA: word change, acknowledge to accept.

--------------------

El Camino
We Three Blings

And my insurance is high for other "behaviors" that increase the risk - like being male and under 25. If I were over 25, this would have absolutely no impact on my insurance. But since I am under 25, it might have a serious impact. How is that fair?

So seriously, if you're just going to chastize me, go away. I don't want to hear it, and you're not helping anyone. Recall that I never said I was "noble" or wanted your sympathy. I've had a NFBSKing bad day, and I don't want to hear it.

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. Like no one else here has ever exceeded the speed limit before.

El Camino
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by 7thWheel:
As a limo driver the best advice I can give you is to fight it with the help of a lawyer. I have never used this link because I've never been busted in NJ but they might be able to help.

http://www.tixnix.com/ticket/nj-new-jersey/speeding-traffic-ticket.cfm

Has anyone else you know used this site, 7th wheel? It looks good but I don't like to rush into things like this without checking them out first, especially if it's an internet site I haven't heard of.
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
And my insurance is high for other "behaviors" that increase the risk - like being male and under 25. If I were over 25, this would have absolutely no impact on my insurance. But since I am under 25, it might have a serious impact. How is that fair?

So seriously, if you're just going to chastize me, go away. I don't want to hear it, and you're not helping anyone. Recall that I never said I was "noble" or wanted your sympathy. I've had a NFBSKing bad day, and I don't want to hear it.

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. Like no one else here has ever exceeded the speed limit before.

Pardon? If you don't want to hear it, darlin', don't read it. But when you post on a message board, other posters are free to comment on it. And guess what? They may not agree with you! Really! It happens! But until you're posting on your own message board or blog, you don't get a say in the responses. You are always, of course, free to choose not to respond.

Sorry you've had a bad day, but don't make it mine, pal.

ETA: And I don't see anyone here saying they are "without sin". I have had a few tickets in my time, and most were deserved. And all were paid. And I've not been cited twice for the same thing - I learned my lesson, paid my fine, paid the increase in insurance, and was thankful that I learned my lesson before I was hurt or hurt someone else. There was one instance where I was cited for something off the wall, that I didn't think was fair, and I paid the ticket, figuring I'd certainly gotten away with my fair share of other stupid stuff and hadn't gotten caught.

--------------------

Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:

How bout you take the advice of your own sig line, hmm? I'm not making myself out to be any kind of saint here, I'm just trying to make the best out of a bad situation. I don't mind paying the fine, and if it were just that, I wouldn't complain. But if my insurance is going to skyrocket, than I can't take that sitting down.
I'm more than willing to give people a break, as noted in my sig line, hmm, but not when it comes to the blatant ignoring of and the blatant breaking of the law, and then trying to squirm out of the consequences. That sentiment applies to people who are doing the best they can do and, in spite of doing the best they can do, make an honest mistake. Your infraction does not fit into the "honest" category. Oh, wait. Yes it does! Your honest mistake was not realizing that you were apt to get caught. Silly me! [lol]

I never said you were trying to make yourself "out to be any kind of saint here" because I'm not that dense. Saint? Ha-haha! I laugh at you.

"But if my insurance is going to skyrocket, than I can't take that sitting down." You can't take that sitting down? Then I guess you'll have to take it standing up because it's not up to you.

The easiest thing to do is to act like a responsible man, pay the fine and stop speeding. Or you can continue to whine like a spoiled child about your insurance premiums going up when they may not, and if they do, it's your own sweet fault.

Oh, and you keep saying you aren't sure it was you. How silly is that? Why do you think the officer followed you for a little while before he stopped you? Use your head for something besides a hatrack. In case you haven't figured it out, yet, he was clocking you, in addition to catching you on his radar. Go figure. so, you might as well stop trying to weasel out of it. Those phony excuses don't fly.

By the way, your age in your profile is wrong. Not that I care, I just thought you might like to change it.

ETA: I'm also willing to be more lenient and give a break to those who have willfully done something wrong/stupid/illegal but then own up to what they've done, make amends and learn from the experience. In case you're interested, I've never driven over the speed limit. It might be because I can't drive. [lol] My husband has, however, received several speeding tickets, but guess what. He paid the fines and hasn't made that mistake again in over fifteen years. As an over-the-road, long-haul truck driver, he racked up over 100k driving miles per year.

And, another thing, how in the name of DOYC can you try to get going 81 mph in a 55-mph zone reduced to a "non-moving" violation? What about non-moving do you not understand? [Razz]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The best advice is to not speed. And consider yourself lucky: in many states, 15 over the speed limit is also reckless driving and can get you arrested.

Call your insurance agent and ask what the impact will be. Then, pay the money, and learn the lesson. That is the best advice I have for you.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Honestly now, this is ridiculous. Where was I "whining like a spoiled child." I asked for help for anyone willing to give it, that's all. I explained why I was worried about the ticket so people would understand my situation. Some background is usually helpful. The only thing I've complained about at all is the fact that my insurance rates are higher simply because I'm in a "high risk" group, not because of anything I've done. Not once have I complained about the ticked. Honestly, I'm just trying to make the best of it.

I'd rather you not insult my intelligence. I know he wasn't clocking me. How do I know this? Because I saw the patrol car as I drove past it (too late, obviously) and that made me a little nervous. So I slowed down, moved over to the right hand lane and started watching my read view. After a while I breathed a sigh of relief, as there was no one in my rear view that could be the police officer, and certainly no flashing lights. A bit later, I looked back and saw the flashing lights coming over the horizon. He was too far back to be clocking me before that, because if I couldn't see him in my rear view he certainly couldn't clock me. Even if he did, I had slowed down by then and the speed limit had increased back up to 65 again.

Come on, can't we just all play nice? I'm not out to get anyone. It really was an honest mistake - I thought the speed limit was 65 when it was actually 55, and I just accidentally went a little too fast. It's not like I was recklessly weaving in and out of traffic. I was just in my one lane, with no one in front of me in that lane for a bit, going a bit too fast. And I will learn from my mistake, and pay closer attention to my speed. That doesn't mean I have to play a sucker to the system and pay the maximum fine and take the points. I'm going to do my research before I do anything - which is why I came on here. Figured to be a good place to debunk or confirm the UL that you can often get off tickets because the officer does not show at the hearing.

El Camino
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Signora del Drago:
And, another thing, how in the name of DOYC can you try to get going 81 mph in a 55-mph zone reduced to a "non-moving" violation? What about non-moving do you not understand?

I understand that it's happened before, to some of my friends, and that the law and government don't actually make sense sometimes. For example, changing the speeding ticket to something like "Failure to obey traffic signs," which does not convey points but still has the fine.
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Honestly now, this is ridiculous. Where was I "whining like a spoiled child." I asked for help for anyone willing to give it, that's all. I explained why I was worried about the ticket so people would understand my situation. Some background is usually helpful. The only thing I've complained about at all is the fact that my insurance rates are higher simply because I'm in a "high risk" group, not because of anything I've done. Not once have I complained about the ticked. Honestly, I'm just trying to make the best of it.

With all due respect, you're trying to get out of what is your rightful punishment, not "make the best of it."

You are in a high risk insurance group because actuarial evidence shows that people in your particular demographic engage in behaviors that are more likely to cause insurance claims, such as speeding.

You have earned your place in that category now by something you did, i.e. speed.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Let's just forget the male under 25 comment I made before. It was a throw away comment, basic residual resentment against the system for my high and possibly soon to be higher insurance rates. It's not really relevant to the conversation at hand, and I only mentioned it again because I wanted to qualify my statement that I hadn't complained, because that was basically complaining. But it was complaining about something else, something basically irrelevant, and I'd rather I hadn't mentioned it. Sorry.
Signora Del Drago

Well, I thought you were whining because you keep making the same excuses over and over. Sorry if I misinterpreted.

But, the fact remains that, even though you thought the speed limit was 65mph, you were still doing 81.

And, no matter how you try to spin it, you can bet your sweet bippie that you were clocked at some point.

I do apologize, however, for allowing myself to become irritated with your making of excuses. I should have realized that it's no skin off my nose. I just hope you don't end up either dead or killing someone else because of your speeding habit. And, that's meant in all seriousness.

Edited because I put this
ETA: AnglRdr, don't you just love that phrase - "with all due respect?" I surely do! [Wink]
in the wrong place. [dunce]

--------------------

Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, as long as we're on the subject, does anyone know the best way to pretend you're insane? You see, I killed my wife and thanks to a nosy neighbour, the cops caught me. Now, nobody saw me do it and I'm honestly not sure I did it (I mean, I remember shooting her, but maybe it was all a dream, right?). Still, I don't think I should go to jail. I mean, it was just an honest mistake, and who hasn't broken the law at one time or another?

Anyway, if I get sent to jail, it will ruin my life, and I'm not gonna take that sitting down. So, I heard that insanity is a good defense, and I thought I'd ask for any good tips. What should I do? Drool? Claim to be Napoleon? I'm awfully new at this.

Oh, and please, save all your moralizing "murder is wrong" posts. I don't want to hear them; I mean, it was an honest mistake, and she was a real nag, and I'm not even sure if I did it. I just want to get scot free, OK? I promise I won't do it again. OK, OK, honestly, I promise I'll try harder not to get caught.

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. Baggins, get out of my brain. There's not enough room there for both of us.

Seriously, I was trying to come up with something equally ridiculous but hadn't managed yet, so YOMANK! Or maybe two. [lol]

--------------------

El Camino
We Three Blings

Actually, it looks like this is all going to work out rather well for me. I initially thought the ticket was going to go on my driving record, as both Pennsylvania (my home state) and New Jersey are part of the Drivers License Compact, which exchanges ticket information between states. However, PennDOT has decided that although it will receive information from other states, little things like speeding will not go on the driving record nor carry points.

From the authority of PennDOT itelf:
quote:
Although reported to PennDOT, minor traffic offenses such as speeding, red light, stop sign, etc., will (NOT) appear on your driving record, unless you are a CDL holder. Points will not be assessed to your PA driving record when convicted of a point related offense in a DLC member state.
So it looks like everyone wins, even those who have been criticising me here. So I'll pay my fine, and not have the insurance hike. What a relief. Hurray for happy endings! [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages