snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » Man Wears 'Liar' Sign for False Report

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Man Wears 'Liar' Sign for False Report
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As he marched up and down a busy road wearing a placard proclaiming "I AM A LIAR," Craig Breuwet endured a painfully public punishment for lying to police.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061222/D8M5K5J80.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Breuwet was required to publicly display the "I AM A LIAR" sign for 10 hours under a pretrial diversion arrangement that allows dismissal of charges of making a false report of a crime and making false statements to police, Houston County District Attorney Kelly Burke said. Burke added that he may also expunge any record of those charges.

Burke said reporting a bogus abduction to police is a serious crime - too serious for a slap on the wrist in court where the public might never have known the initial report was false.

Doesn't one pretty much cancel out the other?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But if he is wearing that sign, doesn't that mean that he is telling the truth, which means that he is not a liar, which means that he is lying, which means that he is telling the truth etc?

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
But if he is wearing that sign, doesn't that mean that he is telling the truth, which means that he is not a liar, which means that he is lying, which means that he is telling the truth etc?

Now my head hurts.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages