snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » Mutiliated kitten dies during surgery

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mutiliated kitten dies during surgery
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 06 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A kitten that captured the hearts of many Nova Scotians after suffering a horrific act of mutilation has died during efforts to repair the damage.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0504mutilated-kitten04-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hypno Toad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hypno Toad   E-mail Hypno Toad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This breaks my heart.

I'd like to meet the person that mutilated the kitten [Mad]

--------------------
A Freudian slip occurs when you say one thing while thinking amother - Cliff Claven

Formally Random Dan

Posts: 184 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm no vet, so I know little about the chances of success of this treatment, so I'll say this from a more general standpoint than this particular case:

Cases like this pop up every now and then, with people chipping in to pay for whatever desperate measures the vet can think of. Well, the thought is nice, but sometimes misguided. They confuse the symbolic value of the animal with the animal itself. Sometimes, putting an animal through such intense treatments that are very unlikely to succeed and even if it succeeds will probably leave the animal scarred for life is more cruel than a quick and painless eutanasia.

Yes, someone has behaved like a maniac and it's not fair to the animal. No one contests that. Yet, sometimes we have to accept that our efforts to make things right are counterproductive and instead minimize the suffering.

The guilty person should get what he/she deserves. What happened to the kitten is horrible. The people who worked hard to save the poor kitten did it out of kindness. I don't argue against any of that, but sometimes the best care we can give an animal is to end it's pain, not prolong it because trying makes us feel better.

quote:
I'd like to meet the person that mutilated the kitten
If you find him, I'll bring the scissors.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chantelle
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chantelle   E-mail Chantelle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no [Frown] I live in the Maritimes and I saw this kitten several times on the news. How sad that it had to go through so much in such a short time.

I agree with Troberg, sometimes it's better to end the suffering rather than prolong it with a very unsure outcome. The people who donated their money to help this kitten could probably do a lot more good by donating it to a shelter or animal rescue (although I'm not sure I wouldn't have done the same thing in the situation).

The whole story just makes me so sad.

--------------------
Registered Nurse in training (1 year down, 3 years to go) :)

Posts: 35 | From: Fredericton, NB, Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was about 6 we had a kitten, slightly older than this one, that somebody caught and neutered. The vet thought they'd used a razor blade. Fortunately, surgery stopped the bleeding and the cat survived.
I agree, there are times to end an animal's suffering, but the vet who attempted to save this kitten, and the people who donated for its care were expressing their outrage at the injury the kitten had suffered. I hope the guy who did this gets what he truly deserves. [Mad]

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 02 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Man 'can't justify' why he castrated kitten with scissors

Dennis Perreault suspects a mixture of stress, anger and painkillers made him castrate his daughter's seven-week-old kitten with scissors last May.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1220kitten-cruelty20-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Troberg, if you bring the scissors, I'll bring the restraints.

Neutering is not a hugely expensive surgery in countries with a tradition of pet-ownership.

However, I also believe the kitten should have been put to sleep rather than made to endure further suffering. If he can do that while angry, stressed and drugged up, what the heck could he do to his children when in the same state?

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
BASTARD. [Mad]

I used to work for a vet. One time this guy brought in a dobie mix young dog - still a puppy but past the age where his ears really should have been docked - and it's ears were cut. Obviously a home job. The guy was scared because the bleeding wouldn't stop.

The story - he heard the dog crying in the backyard and came out to look at it and mysteriously, the ears were just cut somehow.

Riiiight.

Trashy dirt bag. What happened was obviously he acquired the dog somehow, (I'm sure for free) and wanted the ears docked and decided to do it himself but got scared cause the bleeding didn't stop.

Alan, my vet, looked at him real hard and said "if you find out who did it please let us know so we can press charges against the creep." Then he fixed up the dog and as the guy, with his snot nosed filthy neglected looking kids (Lord help them should they need tubes in their ears) and his bandaged up traumatized dog, walked out - without having paid cause he, er, din't have no money - Alan said "we'll never get paid on that one." Oh, and it was already after closing time on a saturday. I guess there's no way Alan could have actually done anything to the guy or he would have.

Scum.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maj. Burns
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Maj. Burns   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

Dennis Perreault suspects a mixture of stress, anger and painkillers made him castrate his daughter's seven-week-old kitten with scissors last May.

Personally, I suspect it's because he's a sh*thead.
Posts: 116 | From: Manasquan, NJ | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages