snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » Police Find Woman Weighing 43 Pounds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Police Find Woman Weighing 43 Pounds
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 15 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A 22-year-old developmentally disabled woman weighing only 43 pounds was found in a bedroom at her mother's home, and the mother was charged with abusing her.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BRF_MALNOURISHED_WOMAN?SITE=FLTAM

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!! Can I please, please, PLEASE beat the crap out of the mother?!?!?!?! The young woman was so lucky that the police found her. I am just horrified!

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. I really hope she had a very small frame, otherwise there's no chance she'd be alive at that weight. It's obscene.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They just had that story on the news last night (channel 12-ABC.) There were some explanations that the family gave.

She had on four diapers because if she didn't, she tried to play with her feces.

She weighed so little because it's hard to keep weight on the whole family. One sister weighed 80-some pounds, and the 6'1" brother weighed 120 some. There was never a lack of food in the house-it was just hard to keep weight on her, and them.

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That still doesn't excuse the fact that she was lying in her filth.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
happyholidaysfrog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happyholidaysfrog   Author's Homepage   E-mail happyholidaysfrog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Honestly, if she was healthy at that weight and they have been taking proper care of her with proper medical attention then they will have that to back up their claims.

I agree with versesbatman that there was no reason for her to be lying in her filth.

Conditions were probably much worse then the article said for the state to step in and charge abuse. Also she was wearing onlya tee shirt and the three soiled diapers, it's december and in Michigan that's pretty cold, even now during a warm December.

But if they were taking proper care of her they should have Dr.s and relatives and neighbors to testify in their defense.

Personally though, it sounds to me like some neglect at some level was happening.

--------------------
~All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream~
E.A.Poe

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
~James Dean~

Posts: 516 | From: Anderson, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a hard time putting on weight, however I can't believe a woman in her 20's weighing 43 pounds would be considered healthy.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Belletrist
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Belletrist   E-mail Belletrist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with VersesBatman. Something seems fishy there, especially concerning her weight.

--------------------
There's no sense beating a dead horse- but if you've reached the point where you even seriously consider that abusing a dead animal might improve your lot in life, I say go ahead and give it a shot. --Anthony Myers

Posts: 266 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, it still sounds bad. She should not have been lying in her own filth...and her weight? Forty-three pounds? I don't care how small your frame is, it's not normal. I'm a short female (about 5'1 or so), and I weigh 100 lbs and I still look fairly skinny. I don't want to imagine someone at 43 lbs. [Frown]

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless she was a dwarf or had a similar genetic disorder that stunted her growth, I can't see how she could be alive and weigh 43 pounds. It says the woman was "developmentally disabled" but I think there must have been a physical disability to account for the weight.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spooky Cactus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spooky Cactus   E-mail Spooky Cactus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Unless she was a dwarf or had a similar genetic disorder that stunted her growth, I can't see how she could be alive and weigh 43 pounds. It says the woman was "developmentally disabled" but I think there must have been a physical disability to account for the weight.

'Developmentally disabled' is a weird, vague turn of phrase. Delayed in mental development is what I'd guess, but it could be physical development, in which case a dwarf or PORG if preferred could be called 'developmentally disabled'.

--------------------
'When the world is dead and gone, we will still be Rocking On!' (J.P.McCartney)

Posts: 154 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She could have a disorder that results in mental disability and short stature.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Luka_the_Pooka
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luka_the_Pooka   E-mail Luka_the_Pooka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
43 pounds?!? I once had a rabbit that weighed 21 pounds! *tries to imagine a woman only weighing as much as two rabbits* Gahhh!!! [Eek!]

--------------------
They left off "Attendance at Satanic Rituals will be mandatory and everyone will be required to eat a kitten, with or without ketchup." - Mouse

Posts: 65 | From: Vancouver, Washington | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A woman was on the news here earlier this year because she normally weighs 37 pounds but she gained 20 pounds to give birth to a healthy baby. She was not mentally disabled at all though. Some people are very small.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=health&id=3894757

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages