snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » Boy, 12, Refuses to Get in Car with Mom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boy, 12, Refuses to Get in Car with Mom
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 15 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A mother who appeared intoxicated to police was in the driver's seat of her car trying to get her 12-year-old son inside, but he refused.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1215brk-dui-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it unfortunate that the 12yo has more sense than the mom? At that age, you should not have to fear for your life... especially where your parents are involved! I hope this woman gets the help she needs and doesn't punish the boy. I wish I could send him hugs, and pats on the back for a job well done!

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What a smart kid. If he can stand up to his mom like that, I hope he will be able to stand up to his friends too when the time comes.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel bad for him. From mom's history, it's clear she's an alcoholic. No doubt he faces choices like this one on a daily basis.

I see a lot of kids with alcoholic parents, because one of the family symptoms is that children miss school a lot.

Another thing these children face that directly results from a parent's alcoholism is exposure to unsavory friends of the alchoholic and therefore increased risk of physical and sexual abuse.

Children of single parents who are alcoholic often have to grow up fast and take care of themselves, because their parents aren't able to properly care for them.

When I see a child acting "parental" towards a parent it's tempting to think, "Aww, isn't that sweet!" but from long experience I now know enough to instead suspect that things aren't right in the family, and alcoholism is at the top of my differential diagnosis list in such cases.

Edited because I left off an "ism"

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kizzcee007
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kizzcee007   E-mail kizzcee007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If only a neighbour's daughter had done this, then maybe she would still be with us.

Sweet dreams Jenny

Posts: 156 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When I see a child acting "parental" towards a parent it's tempting to think, "Aww, isn't that sweet!" but from long experience I now know enough to instead suspect that things aren't right in the family, and alcoholism is at the top of my differential diagnosis list in such cases.

I don't think it's sweet at all. Kids should not have to parent their parents.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a friend in high school whose father would routinely bring her to the bar with him so she could drive him home after he got hammered. This was when we were 13-14.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
quote:

I don't think it's sweet at all. Kids should not have to parent their parents.
I thought that was wanderwoman's point.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was agreeing with her.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages