snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » Teen mom accused of throwing newborn out window

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teen mom accused of throwing newborn out window
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 15 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A 14-year-old girl has been arrested on charges of throwing her newborn baby out a Bronx apartment window.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1214dead-baby14-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit more information. Absolutely awful.

[Frown]

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 15 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, my God. [Eek!] Words fail.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's what I was posting about in the safe haven thread. It's so sad. So, so sad. [Frown]

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor infant! And I feel sorry for a 14-year old child who, apparently, lost her ability to deal with reality.

Nah. We don't need better sex ed in schools or better access to birth control. Abstinance! Abstinance will solve our problems! I think we should start charging our politicians with accessory to murder in cases like these.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What a waste all around. Poor kids.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, Ryda.
Both those children were failed by the society. The mother evidently didn't feel that she could approach her parents, teachers, a hospital, or anyone else.
We have to do better by them. Sex education is a must.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I concur with Ryda, AnglRdr, and all others who have made similar statements, this is just sad all around. [Frown]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guruwan2b:
The mother evidently didn't feel that she could approach her parents, teachers, a hospital, or anyone else.

I absolutely agree that better sex education is needed in the schools and elsewhere, and that this is absolutely tragic. I just wonder how constructive it is to think of this as being the politicians' or society's fault. Aren't we doing a disservice to teenagers by believing that they are completely incapable of making a good choice in a bad situation? Is it realistic to believe that a 14-year-old wouldn't know enough, at least, to leave the baby somewhere, in a public restroom, wait until the baby falls asleep and sneak her downstairs and leave her on a neighbor's doorstep, something, anything besides throwing it out the window?

I'm NOT saying this girl should be strung up for murder...I'm just saying we might help kids more by assuming they can make good decisions when necessary...when we expect the worst from them, they deliver.

Just some thoughts...they're not cemented yet. Responses?

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think so. For every kid chucked out a window, I am GUESSING that there are lots of them deposited on the steps of hospitals (safe havens) that aren't reported.

Very rarely are stories done about kids that do the right thing... only when they really screw up.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can easily imagine a 14 year old girl not being aware enough about how her body works to go through a pregnancy not actually knowing she was pregnant.

I can also easily imagine a 14 year old girl who feared she might be pregnant ignoring it and hoping the problem would go away.

Adolescents are not just adults in miniature. Their brains do not work in a strictly logical fashion, nor, even when they are able to differentiate "right" from "wrong," necessarily equipped to act in a manner that is in their long-term self-interest.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buckleupp:
I absolutely agree that better sex education is needed in the schools and elsewhere, and that this is absolutely tragic. I just wonder how constructive it is to think of this as being the politicians' or society's fault.

Not completely, but a great deal. They encourage ignorance about and shame around sex. Therefore, they are responsible for the results.

quote:

Aren't we doing a disservice to teenagers by believing that they are completely incapable of making a good choice in a bad situation?

No. We assume that teens can't make fully consensual, rational choices in our laws. I don't think that's always a bad thing.
quote:

Is it realistic to believe that a 14-year-old wouldn't know enough, at least, to leave the baby somewhere, in a public restroom, wait until the baby falls asleep and sneak her downstairs and leave her on a neighbor's doorstep, something, anything besides throwing it out the window?

Nope. That action, to me, indicates an inability to deal with the reality of the situation, a psychic break of sorts. Therefore, to expect rational action in a situation that causes a psychic break is not reasonable.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to say that this girl was old enough to know better than to throw a baby out a window, and I might be convinced that that's true as long as it's not her baby. The fact that she took it home instead of leaving it in the school (where it almost definitely would have been found before coming to any serious harm) makes me think that panic or hormones or both were seriously clouding her judgment.

I feel sorry for both the mother and the baby. As was said earlier, what a waste. And Ana, I totally agree with you about Safe Haven laws needing to be better known, but I don't know that it would have made any difference in this case.

Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jackie in the Elevator
Happy Holly Days

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Jackie in the Elevator     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter's birthmother and the girl's parents did not know she was pregnant. I am so thankful that when they all found out they were already in the hospital the bmom was delivering Malia. I absolutely cannot let myself wonder what would have happened if the girl went into labor when she was by herself, scared and not knowing what was going on.

--------------------
Free the West Memphis Three

Why are these cases still unsolved?

Posts: 1618 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by ica171:
I'd like to say that this girl was old enough to know better than to throw a baby out a window, and I might be convinced that that's true as long as it's not her baby. The fact that she took it home instead of leaving it in the school (where it almost definitely would have been found before coming to any serious harm) makes me think that panic or hormones or both were seriously clouding her judgment.

What about being 14?

quote:
I feel sorry for both the mother and the baby. As was said earlier, what a waste. And Ana, I totally agree with you about Safe Haven laws needing to be better known, but I don't know that it would have made any difference in this case.
I hope they'll become more well advertised after this.

--------------------

El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
Their brains do not work in a strictly logical fashion, nor, even when they are able to differentiate "right" from "wrong," necessarily equipped to act in a manner that is in their long-term self-interest.

Ok, that's kind of a silly thing to say. First off, only a few people with brain injuries/disorders think strictly logically, and they have a tough time functioning in society. And I see nothing that indicates an adolescent's mind functions any less "logically" than adult's. They are generally less well informed and less experienced, buy saying something like that without backing it up is a bit much.
Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
FRONTLINE reports on new neuroscience research indicating that teenagers brains are stlll developing, especially in the frontal cortex.
The teen brain is a work in progress

quote:
The frontal lobe, that part of the executive region that we studied, is not always fully functioning in teenagers. ... That would suggest that therefore teenagers aren't thinking through the consequences of their behaviors.
quote:
So what does this mean about the kind of decisions that a teenager makes?

One of the interesting outcomes of this study suggests that perhaps decision-making in teenagers is not what we thought. That is, they may not be as mature as we had originally thought. Just because they're physically mature, they may not appreciate the consequences or weigh information the same way as adults do. So we may be mistaken if we think that [although] somebody looks physically mature, their brain may in fact not be mature, and not weigh in the same way. ...

Certainly the data from this study would suggest that one of the things that teenagers seem to do is to respond more strongly with gut response than they do with evaluating the consequences of what they're doing. This would result in a more impulsive, more gut-oriented response in terms of behavior, so that they would be different than adults. They would be more spontaneous, and less inhibited. ...

-kitoboo
Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Thanks, kitoboo.

El Camino, I am happy to provide cites when asked. I tend to not just make stuff up.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages